What the Devs did right with Hutball

richardya

I am one of the players who really enjoys Hutball, I was looking at the new WZ, Novare Coast, and seeing inside what the developers were striving for with that zone. It's clearly Alderan with changes to encourage more turnover and a few other gameplay changes. But there is a major difference between Huttball and all the other war zones besides it's being based on a sport format.

Huttball is a WZ that uses all your abilities. You can have a great match without attacking or healing a player. A well timed knockback, root, pull or stun is more important than killing someone. This is true throughout the zone. If you look at complaints in huttball it's always the other abilities - stealth, force speed, pull, root (resolve), and leap that people complain about. In the other three WZs, the only time you really use those "other" abilities as MVP worthy moves is to protect or stop an objective capture. (except maybe stealth)

Just yesterday I was on my GS and was running behind my teammate ball carrier who was running up the side of the board to get to the rafter section.. I used my root on the closest melee to the carrier then an AE stun grenade on the pack of red players and then finally a knockback on the pack. The carrier then force sped over the fire and eventually scored.

In conclusion: All new WZs should seek to put more emphasis on these "other" abilities in my opinion.

Edited by richardya

In my opinion you are wrong in using these "other" abilites such as sprint and leap while you are carrying the ball. It gives force users too great of an advantage over tech users in this warzone. Why shouldn't invisibility be allowed for the ball carrier when a Jedi Knight/Sith Warrior can cover almost half the field in a matter of seconds using leap, push and leap again? If they have to run and throw the ball like tech users do then you will actually see balanced matches instead or romps by force heavy teams.

It gives force users too great of an advantage over tech users in this warzone.

The ability that is 10 times more powerfull then all of these abilities is available to all:

Throw the Huttball

Instant

Cooldown: 5s

Range: 30 m

This ability can overcome every obstacle and you can do amazing things with a coordinated team.

Also, non-force users have the only ability that ignores resolve (root), they have AE knockbacks and AE stuns. They also have enemy pull which can dominate and they can get a leap and guard as well.

Edited by richardya

In my opinion you are wrong in using these "other" abilites such as sprint and leap while you are carrying the ball. It gives force users too great of an advantage over tech users in this warzone. Why shouldn't invisibility be allowed for the ball carrier when a Jedi Knight/Sith Warrior can cover almost half the field in a matter of seconds using leap, push and leap again? If they have to run and throw the ball like tech users do then you will actually see balanced matches instead or romps by force heavy teams.

Agreed. Disable leap and sprint if you have the ball, and don't allow sages to force pull ball carriers. It takes a lot more skill and effort and effort to have to pass the ball and cc the other team.

Agreed. Disable leap and sprint if you have the ball, and don't allow sages to force pull ball carriers. It takes a lot more skill and effort and effort to have to pass the ball and cc the other team.

Then all tanks will be complained about as being OP in huttball. They will be the only effective ball carriers. And enemy pull will be complained about.

Regardless, even if they did disable it, the point of the thread remains, outside of the ball carrier it's the other abilities that are huge in hutball.

Edited by richardya

Huttball devolves into a deathmatch or a mad dash to goal because either you play healer heavy and then the ball carrier never dies, or you play Tankasin heavy in that case nobody ever gets anywhere (Force Pull every possible target into middle of pit) and you've to deathmatch your way to score.

If you disable pulls/sprints while you've the ball you'll also have to disable Force Pull or nobody would ever score in the game, but in that case you might as well just have Huttball arena with no ball instead.

the other abilities - stealth, force speed, pull, root (resolve), and leap

As one of the classes with none of those abilities (BH Merc) this is exactly the problem with Huttball.

I have no stealth, I have no speed, I have no pull, I have no root. I have one longish cool down knock back. And if the carrier has a full resolve bar, which by the time they get to a point where I am going to knock them back/off the edge and save the day they usually do, I instead have a fancy emote.

I don't mind Huttball actually. I accept that my role is to haunt the upper levels and kill anyone that I can. I accept it and do my best with it. What gets frustrating is when you watch force users bounce all over the place while you are stuck running in slow motion.

In every other warzone force users do what every class can do, use your skills to kill people. All of a sudden in Huttball they get to be super heroes. When do I get to be a super hero?

As one of the classes with none of those abilities (BH Merc) this is exactly the problem with Huttball.

I have no stealth, I have no speed, I have no pull, I have no root. I have one longish cool down knock back. And if the carrier has a full resolve bar, which by the time they get to a point where I am going to knock them back/off the edge and save the day they usually do, I instead have a fancy emote.

I don't mind Huttball actually. I accept that my role is to haunt the upper levels and kill anyone that I can. I accept it and do my best with it. What gets frustrating is when you watch force users bounce all over the place while you are stuck running in slow motion.

In every other warzone force users do what every class can do, use your skills to kill people. All of a sudden in Huttball they get to be super heroes. When do I get to be a super hero?

I have a commando as well, and I still love huttball the most. You get to be a roaming death machine from the ramps and no one can touch you. You KB is instant so anyone that leaps to us will be knocked back down. Seriously, why do you not enjoy destroying people from the ramps and they can't really do much about it?

No one has everything. I think you have an AE stun. That is pretty powerful in hutball. It effectively is just as good as force speed. Force speed gets you ahead of the crowd and ae stun stops the crowd to get the carrier ahead of the crowd. Think about it, two mercs can stop an entire crowd chasing the ball carrier.

Also, the two force users have no range attacks. If they are not next to the opponent they can do nothing. I don't think you realize how big of a disadvantage this is in huttball. My ranged characters are much more effective defensively. I feel like this is a case of the grass is always greener. I mean if you are on a melee and trying to hit the ball carrier in mid a ranged can literally shoot you as you stand there and do nothing. And if a sorc does it you cant even run away with that snare.

Edited by richardya

I play an operative, so no pulls, knockbacks, grapples, etc. relatively less utility than other class. But I still enjoy huttball. It's different where dps and heals aren't the biggest things that matter.

I wouldn't take away the leap, pulls, grapples, and knockbacks and neither would I take away the deadly traps. I don't want it to become more like Warsong gulch.

The only time I didn't enjoy Huttball was in the very beginning when it was confusing as heck and when it was the only thing that popped up.

I used to hate huttball because it's all i got on my server, and that was the only reason. I like it alot now that there's variety back and it and novare are my favorites. Voidstar is a mess, I like defend and attack but...meh.

I have a commando as well, and I still love huttball the most. You get to be a roaming death machine from the ramps and no one can touch you. You KB is instant so anyone that leaps to us will be knocked back down. Seriously, why do you not enjoy destroying people from the ramps and they can't really do much about it?

It has nothing to do with killing individuals. I can do that as well as any other class. They can kill me like I can kill them. Nothing changes that in Huttball. It is about the point of Huttball. To score.

Force leap has half the CD of my knock back. Even if I do everything right and knock the carrier off, they will have 2 leaps in the time I have 1 KB. Bringing them right back up to the ramp.

If I get knocked off while running the ball, I run up the side, hang a right, run up the middle ramp, hang a right, run up to the ramp... get it?

I use my abilities to knock them off and they are back up quicker then my GCD ends. They knock a non force user off the ramp and it will be Thursday by the time they make it back up.

How is that even close to fair?

Either have a force user to carry in Huttball or don't bother. You don't say "Have a merc for Alderan or don't bother" "Have an agent for Voidstar or there is no way you will win". It just doesn't work that way. You need a healer or a tank or a dps. That is fine. Most all classes can fill those roles equally well based on spec. But when it comes to Huttball bring a class that can bounce all over the map or put yourself at a huge disadvantage. It makes no sense.

Again, I don't hate Huttball. I like it in theory. The problem is how the abilities of 2 classes so far out shine the abilities of 2 other classes regardless of how they are specced.

It has nothing to do with killing individuals. I can do that as well as any other class. They can kill me like I can kill them. Nothing changes that in Huttball. It is about the point of Huttball. To score.

Force leap has half the CD of my knock back. Even if I do everything right and knock the carrier off, they will have 2 leaps in the time I have 1 KB. Bringing them right back up to the ramp.

If I get knocked off while running the ball, I run up the side, hang a right, run up the middle ramp, hang a right, run up to the ramp... get it?

I use my abilities to knock them off and they are back up quicker then my GCD ends. They knock a non force user off the ramp and it will be Thursday by the time they make it back up.

How is that even close to fair?

Either have a force user to carry in Huttball or don't bother. You don't say "Have a merc for Alderan or don't bother" "Have an agent for Voidstar or there is no way you will win". It just doesn't work that way. You need a healer or a tank or a dps. That is fine. Most all classes can fill those roles equally well based on spec. But when it comes to Huttball bring a class that can bounce all over the map or put yourself at a huge disadvantage. It makes no sense.

Again, I don't hate Huttball. I like it in theory. The problem is how the abilities of 2 classes so far out shine the abilities of 2 other classes regardless of how they are specced.

Exactly why hutball suxors IMO. It isn't like the jet fans are consistent in their launches either. One time it is forward, next time it is backwards, next time it is to the left...

The ability to leap up to the middle catwalk is a HUGE advantage.