Regarding server queues

StephenReid

I've been having to wait 20 minutes every time I log in and thought I'd check out the forums and maybe say something.

But reading that sme people have 4+ hour queues, I don't feel like complaining anymore!

I feel for you guys... I can handle 20 minutes.

• Replies 2.6k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

I haven't read through the thread because frankly I don't really care what anyone else thinks. I care what I think.

I think the server queues as they stand are totally unacceptable regardless of the intent behind them, and I have put in a complain with the customer services team explaining precisely why I think they are unacceptable.

I logged on at 1pm today, widely considered prime time on a Sunday. The server list said there would be a 1 hour and 45 minute queue to play; that seems quite reasonable in my mind. 1 hour and 45 minutes later, I was roughly half way down the list... and then I got disconnected. Instead of caching my place in the queue, the login servers put me right back at the end of the queue. In total I have been in the queue now for around 2 and a half hours. I'm looking at another 3 hours before I can play. In total I will have waited 5-6 hours to play the game.

How many of you can reasonably say that you plan how long you are going to play a game in excess of maybe 3 hours? I can't, and I know the people in my guild can't either. The reality is that after 3 hours I may well not be in a position to play. Having queue times in excess of 3 hours means that the queue is encroaching on the reasonable window of play.

The method Bioware have chosen is to force queues to encourage people to create characters on other server. Wantonly disrupting a service because you don't quite like how the population is growing is understandable. Doing it to the nth degree, penalising players that already have characters on the server and stopping those that were automatically seeded on the server by Bioware's own Guild Launch program is, I'm afraid, totally unreasonable.

I did not chose Bloodworthy. Bloodworthy was chosen for me. I am now suffering for that choice not because I made a mistake, but because Bioware made a mistake.

I want to know if Bioware are placing those they hindered by seeding them on servers at the head of the queue? Are they placing those with already created characters at the head of the queue? Or are you just tarring everyone with the same brush?

An overzealous launch is as bad as a buggy and poorly managed launch, and this launch will be marred by a great many controversies. Game time should be awarded to everyone in my honest opinion.

I feel your pain..

They should make "safe window" allowing ppl to relogin without queue if disconnected. Probably 10-15 minutes.

Yeah please, something like this.

I dont have a "big" problem with queues (I understand their usage and why they're needed). But I just waited through the queue just to get a strange error (1005 or something like that) on joining the server and went back to server selection.

And now have to wait again :/

If people make it through a queue give them a grace period if something bad happens :/

It's funny that video game news sites like Kotaku are starting to pick this up. All more bad press for Bioware.

Kotaku - Stuck in line trying to get into The Old Republic?

PC Gamer also had an article about it the other day.

Once this continues on the 20th I would assume that it will get even worse and maybe major news outlets technology sections will start reporting on it.

Oh Bioware :p

This is one big case of dangling a carrot in front of us - it's verging on sadistic. We love the game, we've paid for the game, we then wait hours to play the game. I personally know of at least 10 friends who are fed up with the waiting - EA thats cash dont you know that will migrate away from your FAT CAT company! We all are realistic to know that theyre in this for the money - well they will start to lose money if this isnt sorted because people will start to leave - simple.

How hard can it be to implement a free server transfer for guilds on full realms?

Did you not see this coming?

Can you possibly be that stupid?

You have the data for how many pre ordered how is it difficult to know this would arise and people not be happy?

This is an MMO it floats or sinks depending on players happiness!

To top it off there are no responses or solutions offered therefore people get even more upset as they feel you dont care - WTB efficient customer service!

To whomever the buck stops with please read a few of these posts and, wait for it, act!

Edited by Viiperious

Yeah please, something like this.

I dont have a "big" problem with queues (I understand their usage and why they're needed). But I just waited through the queue just to get a strange error (1005 or something like that) on joining the server and went back to server selection.

And now have to wait again :/

If people make it through a queue give them a grace period if something bad happens :/

you know the que is a big problem when it is 5h +..

its lik "i realy dont have any big problems with DC cos of error 1005 sins its not my problem"

I'm more worried about the complete lack of response to this.

You're treating your customers worse then Blizzard does, Bioware.

Seriously, this queue issue is possibly game breaking, it could mean the work you all have put into this amazing game will go to waste over silly server population managment, the least you could do is reinsure your community and tell us plainly what you plan to do about it, and when.

New servers dont help the current people who have levelled their char to any decent level! Ive spent enough time levelling my char to 22 im not doing it all over again im sorry I have better ways to spend my time!!

Im happy to play this when im having fun, its then not a waste of time, but queues and possibly having to re level is not fun.

Bioware launched us in waves so that server populations would be managed, then they took an arrow to the knee!

TBF EU peeps, they have told us to play on different servers if the queues are too long so I say we should invade the French Servers.

I know it's still pre-launch, but Bioware have failed to do many of the things they have said they would do. I'm still waiting for CS to respond to a problem I had on Wednesday!

I always knew EGA would be another round of Beta testing in all but name, but some of the problems from the open weekend are still in game.

Stream of consciousness FTW!

we can promise you that we are taking this matter seriously and constantly reviewing them to make sure that they are manageable and reasonable."[/indent]

So what would be considered "manageable and reasonable"? Because to be honest, in my opinion ANY queue at all is unacceptable.

Personally I feel that the odds are good that the queue problems will eventually work themselves out (they usually do).

But I have to say that I cant help feeling that if you had not tried this fiasco of a staggered launch you wouldnt have such a difficult time. Why? Because the people in on day one HAD to pick the first servers. People coming after had the option of new servers but a lot of them had friends/family/guildmates on the old servers (or had their guild assigned to an original server yet didnt get in till day 3....) so had that option limited. If everyone had been allowed to play from day one the new servers would have been a more attractive option because all the people effected would have been available to make those decisions together at the start.

There is no "doom and gloom" but I REALLY hope other MMO companies take note and dont try this same staggered release. It was a nice experiment but it failed miserably and should NEVER be repeated.