Regarding server queues

StephenReid

What? I played EQ. No queues at all, even at launch, you got in right away...the servers all crashed a number of times in the first week...but they didn't have the ability to show you queues, and during peak hours, you might wait a 2 minutes to finish logging into the server.

City of Heroes, day 1...no queues.

Champions Online, day 1...no queues (also, no servers, so you didn't have to worry about accidentally choosing the busy server).

In fact, the only time I had even heard of the concept of a server telling you that you had to wait to get in was WoW. But I didn't play it, just heard rumors.

EQ was NEVER as popular as this game, CoH is F2p and not popular, champions online is also f2p and not popular, atleast come with a popular game that has had no queues, if there is any. oh and thats f2p.

• Replies 2.6k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

o my goodness, another that hasnt played a newly released mmo.

i understand how other companies might not have the means to help themselves like blizzard, but bioware has papa EA too, they have the funds. There is a solution. Just because it happens all the time doesn't make it ok.

A little extra info for your time-analysis.

I'm hoping your not using the estimated wait time in queue on the server-selection screen, it seems way off.

Today login scenario:

First login: 20:00 CET

qued as number 312 at 23:20 CET

Estimated wait started at 1hour and 50 min

at 23:20 CET it was 1 hour and 15min

I am not enjoying that I had to pay for this early access. Especially when you planned that I cannot play. So having fun - not so much :p.

edit: got in at 00:08 to enjoy 4½ hours of playing instead of sleeping :)

As to the paying for early access part (as commented on earlier), My invoice says around 8€ in early access fee.

Edited by Kimarn_Fett

What? I played EQ. No queues at all, even at launch, you got in right away...the servers all crashed a number of times in the first week...but they didn't have the ability to show you queues, and during peak hours, you might wait a 2 minutes to finish logging into the server.

City of Heroes, day 1...no queues.

Champions Online, day 1...no queues (also, no servers, so you didn't have to worry about accidentally choosing the busy server).

In fact, the only time I had even heard of the concept of a server telling you that you had to wait to get in was WoW. But I didn't play it, just heard rumors.

Times are different now.

There weren't enough players when EQ launched to be concerned about it.

Today, these games are mainstream (thanks primarily to WoW) and even with all of the tech in the world, you can't support limitless users and connections without degrading the service.

Queues are necessary during the launch period, when traffic is unlike any other during the course of an MMO. And the good news for TOR would be to see queues 3 months form now as well, as that means the game is an unabashed it. If server merges are already occurring - what will happen if they open too many - that's what we don't want.

This is true, because you aren't paying for this. It's free early access.

I'm sorry but this is not true. The pre-order fee that granted early access was negligble, but yesterday, the 16th December, my credit card was charged for the full price of the game. I'm quite sure that all of those retailers who were asked by EA/Bioware to send out pre-orders for delivery on the 16th December also charged their customers at the time of despatch.

As long as this issue is fixed by the 20th December, you may argue that my comment is not vaild, but do you seriously think it will be ?

i understand how other companies might not have the means to help themselves like blizzard, but bioware has papa EA too, they have the funds. There is a solution. Just because it happens all the time doesn't make it ok.

and all EA did with WAR was make more servers, and then after the merged them, all they need to do is upgrade the pop limit. nar shaddar when i was last on had 37 people there.. ***.. it should have like 150+ and they say the planets are big.. clearly big enough for more people.

"Estimated waiting time: 1 hour and 45 minutes" on the Bloodworthy server...

Ouch, that really stings.

That's a 6 hour queue really, the estimates that are given are complete and utter ********, you can basically multiply them by 3 and there you have your actual wait time.

Got to half my queue, got some error code saying that server was going into maintenance (***?!). Re queued only to get in at 1600, am now waiting for 4 hours or so and am still not in, am at place 150 or so as I'm typing. FML

Once the game goes live, a queue of any amount of time is totally unacceptable, period!

:mad:

This is 100% how I feel. Don't care what used to happen on mmos or anything else. When I want to play I want to play period. If I cannot I will not pay. That's the bottom line and it does not matter what you say. Currently I play WOW while I wait for the servers to queue.

you clearly havent played a new mmo then, AION had 3 hrs queues that were exact, AoC had hour queues, rift had 2 hr queues. you been stuck on WoW and expect everything to be for carebares? before the game has even launched? the max that the queues need to be is 30 mins and an exact 30 mins, not 2 hrs.

What? I played Rift, I've never been queued for my server. I didn't play at launch, I played 6 months later....but I've gotten in immediately every time.

I've played AoC as well...not at launch, but never been queued. I played Star Trek Online, once again, not at launch, but never been queued. EQ2: Never queued.

I've played League of Legends...and although not an MMO, super popular. I was once queued for 5 minutes. That's the longest I've waited.

A little extra info for your time-analysis.

I'm hoping your not using the estimated wait time in queue on the server-selection screen, it seems way off.

Today login scenario:

First login: 20:00 CET

qued as number 312 at 23:20 CET

Estimated wait started at 1hour and 50 min

at 23:20 CET it was 1 hour and 15min

I am not enjoying that I had to pay for this early access. Especially when you planned that I cannot play. So having fun - not so much :p.

Know the feeling. I logged in 483to in woe est wait time 35 minutes. That was 35 minutes avoid now 275.

That's a 6 hour queue really, the estimates that are given are complete and utter ********, you can basically multiply them by 3 and there you have your actual wait time.

Got to half my queue, got some error code saying that server was going into maintenance (***?!). Re queued only to get in at 1600, am now waiting for 4 hours or so and am still not in, am at place 150 or so as I'm typing. FML

The average waiting time is based on a complicated mix of wishfull thinking and denial.

agree'd but I'd be ok if my community lost about 600 people so our q on The Swiftsure wouldn't be so ridiculous

Lose a bit more than that...

Buddy was in a 1400 person queue yesterday; took four hours.

Then he DC'd when he got in.

Must admit I smiled a little. The rage was palpable.

Does that make me a bad person?

--------------

That aside, where would you all transfer to? Most of the west coast servers are suffering queues (albeit not as bad as swiftsure).

Looking at numbers of players per region, there doesn't seem to be that many on, which leads me to believe the player cap on each server is quite low. Considering the almost complete lack of lag in the game I'm sure the cap could be raised.

Isn't exactly giving new players a good impression. Couple of mates are back from Bali today and their first ToR experience will be sitting in a collosal queue.

The servers need some serious upgrades and new servers need to be added. people tend to walk away from a game if you have to await to get in especially when one is paying a monthly subscription to play.

Bioware should have been ware of this issue with the stress tests and be ready for at the very least the number of people who pre-ordered the game.

Devs I do not envy your jobs in the least!! A balancing act to say the least maybe we should all take a collective breath here and remember this is a game it is here to relive stress, I think most the people who are getting torqued about long wait times are the same folks who might say "this game is fail" if there are server combines in 1 month due to balancing number of servers with number of players.

I say GO FOR IT put as many servers online that you can field and BELIEVE that the populations will build to match number of servers. In the words of Patton if you are not advancing you are losing.....or something like that.....hehe

:cool: :cool: :cool:

Its the feeling of being ignored that irks.

Why not allow server transfer?!?!?!?!?!?!!?!?!?!?

I will take all 40 of guild off the server and into a low pop one, we were placed in this hole by the launch program.

Freedon nadd........ AARRGGH