Who designed Taris?

chrispotter

:eek: ! .. You are the first person who doesn't hate Taris! Personally I don't mind Taris but General channel usually filled with complains about Taris and people can't wait to get out of Taris. (5 toons in beta and 5 on live server. =__=)

I don't hate Taris.

Now Balmorra...I'd like to have a word with that planet's designer(s). Gawd, I hate that planet.

• Replies 65
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

:eek: ! .. You are the first person who doesn't hate Taris! Personally I don't mind Taris but General channel usually filled with complains about Taris and people can't wait to get out of Taris. (5 toons in beta and 5 on live server. =__=)

Not really I thought Taris was awesome and so do many of my friends. You have been reading the forums...the compensated hate machine doesn't like anything.

I just wanted to say nice work on Taris, the "feel" of the planet was amazing, I had completed almost all the quest in the entire zone, and at the end I felt really drawn in, GREAT WORK BW!

:D

Taris is one of my favorite planets as well. Nice work there BioWare!

My only disdain for the planet is it is the first planet with bonus series.

The first time I created a character, I finished Taris. I thought I was done. Then the governor asks for MY help. Keeping me on the planet for another hour and a half. (Now, it is 40 minutes on republic side, but that is 3 alts later...) That was when I decided I didn't like the planet. It was because it was the one that kept me there after I already decided I was done with it.

Heck, I would like it still, if I got to do another planet before the bonus series. Nar Shadaa is that way. You don't get that bonus series until what, 29, 30? That is halfway through Tatooine.

Believe me, I was as shocked as you were, I went into Taris, dreading it, but I spent time getting the quests, following the story, then after about the 2nd hour I was looking all over for more quests, the history was pretty damn good. If you need a good laugh find the post on the dread master changes with 1.2 LOL!!!!

Taris : ( a republic take - 4 toons pushed through it)

pro : not much. nice cinematic sequence when leaving planet, I guess. Oh, and fun datacron placements... the one highlight in that stupid powerstation.

negative :

Too many rakghouls ! No really, too many !

Too broken up. Cramped, killing any perspective (and enjoyment of the visuals ) while simultaneously being terribly large. Very limited colour scheme. Republic base right at the edge of a huge planetary map.... and having to fight straight through two rakghoul packs when leaving that base . Ugly and uninspired monsters ( Ferazid hounds ? Bogstalker drones ? Nexu ?)

Utterly useless commendations ( for Republic )... though it's the same on Balmorra for Imp.

oh.... and the rakghoul screeching which is not really terrifying and sounds more like a asthmatic rat stuck in the ventilation grille. The "murlok gurgle" was an acoustic balm compared to this.

Terrible NPCs (the mayor, the whiny or bit**ing or dumb military questgivers ) . Uninteresting heroic quests ( Locust, fallen stars, rakghoul plague, fallen knights....... none worth remembering )

so, tell me again, what was so great about Taris ? For the record I really liked Hoth and especially Tattoine, Belsavis and Corellia are nice too. Hutta is interesting, as is Balmorra.... Even the "nightmare of layouts" Nar Shaddaa is infinitely more fun than Taris

Edited by achwas
Spelling

Taris : ( a republic take )

pro : not much. nice cinematic sequence when leaving planet, I guess. Oh, and fun datacron placements... the one highlight in that stupid powerstation.

negative :

Too many rakghouls ! Too broken up. Cramped, killing any perspective (and enjoyment of it) while simultaneously being terribly large. Very limited colour scheme. Republic base right at the edge of a huge planetary map.... and having to fight straight through two rakghoul packs when leaving that base . Ugly and uninspired monsters ( Ferazid hounds ? Bogstalker drones ? Nexu ?)

Utterly useless commendations ( for Republic )... though it's the same on Balmorra for Imp.

oh.... and the rakghoul screeching which is not really terrifying and sounds more like a asthmatic rat stuck in the ventilation grille. The "murlok gurgle" was an acoustic balm compared to this.

Terrible NPCs (the mayor, the whiny or bit**ing or dumb military questgivers ) . Uninteresting heroic quests ( Locust, fallen stars, rakghoul plague, fallen knights....... none worth remembering )

so, tell me again, what was so great about Taris ? For the record I really liked Hoth and especially Tattoine, Belsavis and Corellia are nice too. Hutta is interesting, as is Balmorra.... Even the "nightmare of layouts" Nar Shaddaa is infinitely more fun than Taris

I had read RedHarvest and loved that novel, the rakghouls were started by Sith Necromancy, its pretty entertaining to see the Nekghouls being trained by a long lost jedi holocron in the ways of the Force, great story telling. I guess to me following the Rakghouls in red harvest and seeing them translated into a game, I liked ALOT, I think the screams definately could have been better but Nekghouls! thats frigging awsome.

I had read RedHarvest and loved that novel, the rakghouls were started by Sith Necromancy, its pretty entertaining to see the Nekghouls being trained by a long lost jedi holocron in the ways of the Force, great story telling. I guess to me following the Rakghouls in red harvest and seeing them translated into a game, I liked ALOT, I think the screams definately could have been better but Nekghouls! thats frigging awsome.

I can see your point, but since the Rakhghouls are such a major feature of Taris, a wider explanation of their origins - as obviously exists off-screen - should have been inside the game.

....and given the nature of Dr. Loken (the IA's companion ) I guess the Imperials get to learn a larger percentage of the rakhghoul story than the Reps in the first place.

But come to think of it, I funnily enough disliked Tython rather much as well . Problems similar to Taris : railroadish pathing, too many of one opponent type ("Flesheaters"). One spends less time there, though.

I don't hate Taris.

Now Balmorra...I'd like to have a word with that planet's designer(s). Gawd, I hate that planet.

Honestly the only problem I had with Balmorra is if you did the bonus series Bugtown was chaotic. Every 5th step you would pull a group from miles away and the groups are pretty close together so in the process of taking out 1 group you would pull another.

For me, the planet is designed too well. The devs did such a good job capturing the feeling of a destroyed, shattered world that it is thoroughly depressing to me. That's why I want to leave it.

+1

Give me shiny translucent marble floors, ivory towers, and opulence.

Gaming in general has seen at least a five year trend towards destruction artwork, rubble, trash, just plain ugly!

Trash Can!

Im over ugly.

Edit: but yeah Taris was well done too many planets look like it though, imo.

Edited by mtsr

I guess it has a fitting atmosphere but I did some space & FPs on my 2nd char so that I didn't have to kill another million rakghouls ^^

Maybe replace some rakghoul enemies with infected wildlife to add some variation.

Edited by Fei-Ke

I love Taris. Done the whole zone three times now, every single quest.

I love the greater story line of the zone and the quests in Transport Station 5 where you go searching the lost tribe even made me rather emotional as you move from cairn to cairn.

It's a wonderfully realised planet too, lots of green and the ruins of a 300 year old ruined mega-city being reclaimed by the jungle.

I don't get all the Taris hate. Coruscant is easily an inferior planet in design and story. Nar Shaddar is, well, too blade runnerish in design (right down to the Asian voices and junks floating next to Lower Prominade)

The only part I hate about Taris is that the soundtrack has a similar feel of the music from Zangarmarsh in it. I hate that music, I really do.

@ about 2:40 minutes vs http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MyC0c-0fWrM You may not hear the similarity on a quick listen, but the feel is very much the same. Edited by Bhaers

The best thing i love about Taris is how it ties in with the original KOTOR game. Taris, being the starting planet, and all it's history was already gone into in-depth in that game and this now feels like a 'welcome home' moment when I came there with my first Republic character after finally getting my spaceship.

The quests have some good links with things you did as Revan back when you were but a lowly smuggler/trooper/engineer/whatever in the start of the original KOTOR and how the Rhakghouls evolved over 300 years after you encountered them in KOTOR is very interesting for a long-standing series fan.

Especially the chain where the fate of the people you led to the 'Promised Lands' in KOTOR was explained was very sad for me. I played through that chain together with my girlfriend, who had never played KOTOR. And although she was already very sad going through it, it was me who was really crushed to hear of their tale. And normally she is the one that gets most emotional in movies and games!

So, basicly.. I loved Taris because it is a true 'fan-service' planet, and I do not mean the Japanese kind of fan-service.. but the real kind: Where the writers give something to the fans they never realised they wanted.

I have to admit though, doing everything on Taris on my first toon.. the others I just do story quests and flashpoints/pvp. Mostly because the planet is so emotionally taxing and has the depressing feel so well.. I do not want to spend too much time on it :p

Edited by Devlonir

Just finished Taris for the 5th time tonight, second time on Republic side. One difference between Taris and most other planets is the amount of open space. Yes, there are walls that prevent open movement, but except for going from mini-zone to mini-zone there is usually more than one way to get to an objective area.

Dromund Kaas, on the other hand... I swear half the map is winding cliffs that you can't climb or that would kill you to jump down. Taking up so much of a map like that shrinks it and only gives us half the area to move in. In effect, DK is a rat maze. The second or third time you go through you really see this and just start to go through the turns you need to get the cheese at the end (your spaceship!)

Taris, you can go to the cave by running through the droids, blasting through the rakgouls, or shimmy up and run over the big pipe then jump down near the entrance. Dromund Kaas- you slog through the same pack of droids you did on your first... and second... then when you go back to turn in your missions... you do it again going the other way.

Sadly, most planets are designed with the "wall trick" to create more pathing to make them seem larger. The most crass one I've seen like this is Alderaan, at least on Empire side. There are several open areas, yes- but look at the speeder paths. It's a big circle! The last point is 2000 yards or so from the first one, by the spaceport, but to travel between them you have to ride the full circle and take 5 times as long to get there. And woe to the player who tries to go on the river in the middle of the zone. It's an exhaustion zone.

I would like more planets to be like Taris and be sizable enough to not require this. I'd rather have more navigable area and mobs populating it than longer paths between cliffs. Landscaping has its place, but for the most part it's not particularly notable in the game. Whether it's the steep paths on Tython, the waiting for the elevators on Balmorra, the circling of a crevasse on Hoth, or the boondoggle of pipe- and conduit-laden walls of Kaas City (the Pipefitters Local 147 is the real power behind the Emperor, not the Dark Council) the barriers take up too much room for my tastes.

And that's why I like Taris.

Sound bugs ,so I can't enjoy the music on that planet, I have my Commando there and left him there... can't stand the laggy sound effects when I fight and how clunky the attacks are after the patch...

I think that planet will be the end for my Commando. R.I.P :(

Made Imp and the story is much better and less problems with clunky animations! :wea_03: