BH are essentially worthless in pvp

gattiman

My fresh 50 Sentinel in Recruit gear is able to take out Mercs and Commandos in full BM and war hero gear. I can do the same amount of damage in a wz as my commando in full bm gear. I can 1v1 and 2v1 people because my kit is so much better than my commando. I can jump into the middle of 5 people and kill one before the others can burn me down. I never have to worry about managing my resources and running out of ammo. People don't focus me because I'm a free kill. And god help the other team if I have a healer.

This right here. I ahve a sorc and a sentinel that I still faceroll in. My commando is just a focus point for my PVP Rage now when I pvp with em. Every other AC is still pretty viable except this one and some are just obnoxious like my sentinel. O well they'll learn the hard way like every other dev out there. Reinstate launch, game was fine.

• Replies 321
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

BHs are not broken. Not by a mile. They are simply a faceroll class that suddenly requires more effort in order to be effective due to melee being FotM, and the playerbase hasn't adjusted.

It's pretty shocking how bad most mercs are, and I'm not just talking about tracer spammers. Even most pyros are bad. Can't tell you how many never use cure, never offheal, don't pillar hump and just stand in the open trying to dps, never assist on targets or actively try to create numbers advantages with CC or knockbacks (not to mention peel for others with their knockback). Basically, if you play your merc to only pew pew, you're doing it wrong. It means you care about your numbers more than winning, and you haven't yet figured out how effective your class can be.

Yes, maras and sins are too strong right now, but that doesn't mean that mercs are in a bad place compared to anything else. Once the distribution of ranged vs melee in WZs returns to something more even and people stop getting trained, all of this QQ will go away.

BHs are not broken. Not by a mile. They are simply a faceroll class that suddenly requires more effort in order to be effective due to melee being FotM, and the playerbase hasn't adjusted.

It's pretty shocking how bad most mercs are, and I'm not just talking about tracer spammers. Even most pyros are bad. Can't tell you how many never use cure, never offheal, don't pillar hump and just stand in the open trying to dps, never assist on targets or actively try to create numbers advantages with CC or knockbacks (not to mention peel for others with their knockback). Basically, if you play your merc to only pew pew, you're doing it wrong. It means you care about your numbers more than winning, and you haven't yet figured out how effective your class can be.

Yes, maras and sins are too strong right now, but that doesn't mean that mercs are in a bad place compared to anything else. Once the distribution of ranged vs melee in WZs returns to something more even and people stop getting trained, all of this QQ will go away.

1.2 just made commandos worse, they were already bottom of the barrel in pvp. Every class in this game is faceroll easy to play, its just other classes have better kits than commandos. We're not harder to play well in 1.2, we always were harder to play. Yes, a good commando will always do the things you mentioned, but it doesn't change the fact that they're bottom of the pvp ladder. A great commando will be worse than an average sentinel simply because the commando doesn't have the tools to compete in pvp.

Edited by NDiggy

Yes, a good commando will always do the things you mentioned, but it doesn't change the fact that they're bottom of the pvp ladder. A great commando will be worse than an average sentinel simply because the commando doesn't have the tools to compete in pvp.

Here's your problem. You're comparing the class to something that's clearly OP. OBVIOUSLY they're lacking compared to maras/sents right now, EVERY OTHER CLASS IS (with the possible exception of sins). That doesn't mean mercs bad, it means one class is unbalanced and is pissing in your cheerios because there are 4-5 of them in every match. Please display a bit of objectivity instead of whining about how you want everything to be fair. It's an MMO, there will never be strict balance.

And as a side note, if there's a pillar around then I completely disagree about your 'average mara beats a good merc' theory. I've proven it to myself over and over.

As for this idea that mercs are at the bottom of the PvP ladder, it's nonsense. Mercs may not have as many cooldowns as other classes, but that doesn't mean that they're infective with what they DO bring to the table. If you can't contribute as much as other classes then that's on you.

Oh and I wanted to add this: you think mercs were bottom of the barrel BEFORE 1.2? Think we found the problem here....

Edited by LarkBenson
wanted to add....

Here's your problem. You're comparing the class to something that's clearly OP. OBVIOUSLY they're lacking compared to maras/sents right now, EVERY OTHER CLASS IS (with the possible exception of sins). That doesn't mean mercs bad, it means one class is unbalanced and is pissing in your cheerios because there are 4-5 of them in every match. Please display a bit of objectivity instead of whining about how you want everything to be fair. It's an MMO, there will never be strict balance.

And as a side note, if there's a pillar around then I completely disagree about your 'average mara beats a good merc' theory. I've proven it to myself over and over.

As for this idea that mercs are at the bottom of the PvP ladder, it's nonsense. Mercs may not have as many cooldowns as other classes, but that doesn't mean that they're infective with what they DO bring to the table. If you can't contribute as much as other classes then that's on you.

Oh and I wanted to add this: you think mercs were bottom of the barrel BEFORE 1.2? Think we found the problem here....

Compare them to gunslingers, sages and powertechs, the other ranged classes, and you have the same conclusion. Commandos severely lack, and its not the player, its the kit.

Yes, pre-1.2, commandos were one of the worst pvp classes unless you abused the hybrid spec that ended up getting the whole class nerfed to be even worse. Pure gunnery and assault specs aren't seeing anything new in 1.2 except decreased damage. Every melee class, and any class with an interrupt will still dominate a commando.

@OP

Well, I was one of the folks saying that the Pyro PT was going to be useless after 1.2 nerf. I´m revoking that since RS still procs multiple times (I had up to 3) over a 6-7 second period and already reported it (dunno why I´m screwing myself but oh well).

That said , as we stand now, Pyro PT´s (dunno bout mercs) are very good at bursting down healers, I mean, even if you don´t kill them, trust me they will have their hands full to do anything else. True that we don´t have much in terms of survivability, having only the shield but we have very useful cc´s even if they´re short duration specially Carbonize and Grapple. If you use them properly they can be game changing and not only on huttball. Be creative with their usage is all I´m saying :p

And taunt opponents. having them hit your team for lower amounts of dmg is incredibly useful and you have both a single target and an aoe de-taunt. Bear in mind you have to be close to the players you taunted or it won´t work. It´s not a set an forget ability.

Dmg Wise I still top the meters most of the time and usually at first doing an average of 370k across all games. My max was around 530k and sure like some say it I don´t reach 800k-900k but that´s probably due to not ever going with premades since I roll alone so I never have pocket healers.

I´m not going to tell you L2P since it´s derrogatory but you defo need to figure out something you´re not doing right. I don´t know if you play a PT or a Merc since you said "mainly Mercs" so I assume you play both.

In fact if I do see people with 400k dps + in games like huttball (snipers especially) I know for a fact they can't have been helping kill the carrier or assisting with running the ball in any way, just on their own little farming session ignoring the group.

You forgot to mention something about huttball which is to control middle. Normally = win.

Yeah, that was my assessment when I read that part. :rolleyes:

Tell me how I'm wrong? Unless you're taking about people that abused the hybrid spec. Nothing fundamental about the class changed in 1.2. We lost damage and some survivability, but we still have to spam grav round because all our abilities hinge on its use. All the basics are still the same and the kit is still the same. It is the kit that makes our class weak, and that didn't change in 1.2.

merc burst dps is good. focus fire, and work with your team. yes, they are garbage alone, especially to a marauder. that is pretty much as intended.

also just because someone has 400k+ damage in a voidstar doesn't mean they did any effective damage. a lot of AOE DOT specs pull off high numbers with no real result. the burst damage of a merc, if focused properly, actually kills things, but you'll see them do maybe ~300k or less. also, learn to use power surge and concussion missile in rapid succession, and you'll have another semi-instant defense. if a marauder is on you, just airblast him and kite him and hope your team isn't terrible.

and mercenary healers are still good despite the boost to overall dps.

Edited by Darth_Gao_Gao

Tell me how I'm wrong? Unless you're taking about people that abused the hybrid spec. Nothing fundamental about the class changed in 1.2. We lost damage and some survivability, but we still have to spam grav round because all our abilities hinge on its use. All the basics are still the same and the kit is still the same. It is the kit that makes our class weak, and that didn't change in 1.2.

You're wrong because you are clearly stuck thinking about gunnery alone. Gunnery is, and always has been, a crap spec for competitive PvP. Pyro is fine and always has been. Respec and adjust.

Mercs are not subpar compared to other ranged DPS. Plain and simple.

Welcome to the daily life of a Gunslinger/Sniper.

we same...decent dps, pretty much zero survivability and little utility.

Sometimes I think my "utility" is sacrificing myself by holding up enemy while my team caps...but zero medals for me. oh well....can't win em all I suppose. I'll just take twice as long to get gear as everyone else :) a W is a W

Mercs get heals, Powertechs don´t.

i am a mercenary, i am valor rank 80-something and i have cleared all operations.

when you dont fight for 8 sec, you can "regenerate" - even with dots. my dps merc has to cast for almost 12 sec to get back to full hp. when i wait for 8 sec ... i dont get the ability to jump at an enemy or to grap him. if that guy is out-of-reach - i cant do nothing about it.

as for the damage... ive been dealing 400k dmg (pre 1.2) on a regular base as an arsenal merc. thereby i met the best players and id like to think ppl dont like to see me as an opponent, because im usually part of a decent premade. i dont have to deal damage to anybody. i kill the people who try to stop my team from winning, not everybody no more.

a mercenary is an inferior class in pvp ... PERIOD.

Cough...interrupts...cough

We don't get infinite interrupts. You have multiple casted moves, all of which pose a threat. Now I agree with you, mercs are weak compared to mauraders and sins. In a 1v1, as a powertech I absolutely trounce them. Mercs need support to be useful, like most classes in this game except for a couple.

If we interrupt your heals, that's your green flag to spam the bajesus out of trace missile and blow their *** up. If they interrupt your tracer, that means you can now use unload / heal without worrying about interrupts until your TM comes up. You're not dead weight.

So yes, mercs get owned by mauraders and sins. So does every other class. Powertechs and juggernauts are no different, I can tell you from experience. Against a good maurader Powertechs stand absolutely 0 chance.

I play merc pyro and get #1 or #2 in dps pretty often. I also usually take #1 or #2 for killing blows. Between jet boost, concussion missile, electro dart and having auto shots apply a slow I can manage to kite melee fairly well. Not all the time but if you time things right it's pretty effective.

Compared them to any ranged dps class also and they are inferior. Inferior skillsets, inferior utility, inferior dps. I'm a good player I routinely get top 3-4 dps but the difference in the top 4 is HUGE as the sorcs/marauders are really so much more potent on top of their ridiculous utility. The fact that this thread has 23+ pages is proof enough that mercs are broken.

Compared them to any ranged dps class also and they are inferior. Inferior skillsets, inferior utility, inferior dps. I'm a good player I routinely get top 3-4 dps but the difference in the top 4 is HUGE as the sorcs/marauders are really so much more potent on top of their ridiculous utility. The fact that this thread has 23+ pages is proof enough that mercs are broken.

The fact that you claim snipers are superior to mercs right now and that sorcs consistently outdamage you is enough for me to give up trying to convince you. You clearly have your mind made up and won't see reason despite the fact that most of these 23 pages are of people telling you that mercs are just fine relative to anything other than maras and sins.

At some point you need to look in the mirror.