what is the use of the companion's -1 and +15 displaying during the dialog

kinGTycoon

does it affect companion's combat ability?

Yes, but only when you get it up to 10,000 (and the bonus then is still quite minor). But each companion has its own story, and you will get to see more of this when you increase that often, but you can just give them gifts to ibcrease it you don't have to pick answers just to please them.

Edited by Drudenfusz

There standing can go from 1-10000. Once u get more connection to them they will get increased damage( could be wrong onthat). healing will be better and the best thing u can notice: it lowers the time they need to craft stuff or they need for missions

it adds to their affection towards you. Affection increases the companions abilities during crew skills. Basically gives them more crit chance and efficiency (makes them faster at crew skills).

Also at certain points in their affection they will want to talk to you and basically that results in a mini talking mission where you can earn xp, more companion affection points and creds.

If you max out the affection on that companion you unlock that companions legacy ability (check your legacy screen for info)

it adds to their affection towards you. Affection increases the companions abilities during crew skills. Basically gives them more crit chance and efficiency (makes them faster at crew skills).

Also at certain points in their affection they will want to talk to you and basically that results in a mini talking mission where you can earn xp, more companion affection points and creds.

If you max out the affection on that companion you unlock that companions legacy ability (check your legacy screen for info)

This. Not sure why folks are saying it doesn't matter till you max out the affection but hey ho.

+15 : he liked what u chose as answer

-1 : he didnt like your answer

Adds up to your connection to them

Don't forget -30: you ticked him off.

But yeah, they are companion affection points.

Edited by Sporetox

BTW, here's a tip: if you see a negative number and want to get the max affection from dialogs, hit Esc to restart the conversation. If you're going to pick a light/dark answer and they don't like it, hit Esc, dismiss the companion and restart the conversation. :D

Moal

BTW, here's a tip: if you see a negative number and want to get the max affection from dialogs, hit Esc to restart the conversation. If you're going to pick a light/dark answer and they don't like it, hit Esc, dismiss the companion and restart the conversation. :D

Moal

True, although to me that seems really cheesy for some reason. To be honest, the only time I reset a conversation like that with them or doing a quest is because I picked the wrong reply on accident.

True, although to me that seems really cheesy for some reason. To be honest, the only time I reset a conversation like that with them or doing a quest is because I picked the wrong reply on accident.

Or a reply that you believed said one thing, but in fact states something different. I too don't reset a convo simply because of a companion's negative reaction. If it's one thing all my characters have in common, it's conviction to their beliefs.

That's nothing. Scourge dropped something like -700 on my JK once, lol. Thought he was going to murder me in my sleep.

Well, if he doesn't, then my Sith Assassin will.

Anywho, as others said, it helps get bonuses for Crew Skills and Combat. It is also needed for the companions your character can romance as well. Fortunately, most of the negatives in conversation generally run -1, though will will see the big numbers every once in a while. Good thing is that gifts will always help offset that, though each level of gift has a limit on how much positive affection you can get out of it.

BJ

There is a *lot* of misinformation going on here.

The +'s and -'s indicate affection changes. (Note: Affection changes aren't applied until the quest is actually finished)

Affection is only confirmed to affect 3 things:

1. Critical chance when doing crewskills(a "crit" either adds additional items to the result (missions, mods, consumables) or adds an augment slot (equippables)

2. Efficiency when crafting (reduced mission/crafting time)

3. Companion quest availability. (Note: also gated by progress through the class story)

Companion quests can give items, exp, additional opportunities for affection changes, and credits. Furthermore, when you completely finish a particular companions questline, you will unlock that companions legacy bonus. (which for the first companion of a particular type is a permanent improvement to stuff like crit chance, healing recieved, etc. to all characters in the legacy, But *every* companion unlock also permanently increases presence of all characters in the legacy..) Max affection isn't *neccessarily* needed to unlock this legacy bonus, however many companions quest lines won't be completeable until you are at/near max affection.

Edited by GnatB

That's nothing. Scourge dropped something like -700 on my JK once, lol. Thought he was going to murder me in my sleep.

Gotta chime in if we're gonna make it a competition! In the BH quest line you can lose 2k from Skadge in the very last conversation alone! And that's in only 2 convo options!

Getting affection up actually does some something else besides the cafting efficiency. It´s in the legacy unlocks. Once you had all the dialogues (for which you need affection) with a companion you get an unlock?

But I forgot what it gives. +20 presence on all characters I think, and maybe something else, just look it up in the legacy.

EDIT: whoops, has already been said, my bad

Edited by Darth_Floppinger