The Best View in SWTOR contest has returned! ×

So EA owns SWTOR, what other MMOs does EA have?

Oddzball

A couple months ago, I did get the feeling TSW was pushed back because it was scheduled to launch at the same time of 1.2. I do think EA has some control over when and how to launch. No say what so ever in development though.

I could be completely wrong though.

• Replies 57
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Days

Top Posters In This Topic

I would like to know this also. So I can avoid EA MMO games like the plauge in the future.

I firmly believe that the publisher has a strong influence on a game and how it is run. If a publisher screws up enough, I avoid them in the future. I already avoid SOE because of their numerous botches. EA is joining that list.

EA has eaten numerous mmos throughout the years, some are even still online albeit at reduced levels for various reasons.

Ultima(and that's an undying classic, it's such a pity they killed Origin...)

Earth and Beyond(Westwood rip.)

DAOC(mythic was butchered and some of the team is in tor now as I understand.)

WAR(and that's when mythic was butchered =p)

TOR

The reason for "competing with itself" is money. Ideology never stands in the way of money, the Soviet Union and the Civilized countries had many many commercial deals and they were threatening to bomb the whole world over ideology, greed has no boundaries as long as there's profit. They're earning something off this mmo the other option was STILL compete against them and earn nothing, simple when you look at it this way, right?

So if they want to not be "greedy" and have everyone love them they should just produce 1 game a year and only that game? Not sure what your point is really. Publishers ... PUBLISH..if they publish nothing how the hell do they pay the thousands of people that work for them? Oh wait they don't and they go out of business. Its what EA does they publish games. If they dont publish then apparently they're not greedy and they're perfect? You call it greed I call it handling business because thats their business to publish games and put them on the shelf. That doesn't excuse how ever some of the massive mistakes they've made when it came to adding in house development teams to them. They've atleast been trying to do better in that regard having learned that various houses have different needs and cultures.

They didn't how ever no matter what anyone says ruin Mythic. Mythic ruined themselves. They made a ridiculous set of promises in order to get EA to buy them. THey failed, their game failed and well now they're under control of a company that won't promise bigger than they can deliver. (even if sometimes what they deliver doesn't make 100% of everyone happy)

I still find it funny so many people are jaded they voted EA the worse company in the US this year having them beat out Banks of all thigns. I mean Banks actually LITERALLY screwed the economy and its customers over multiple times and they got a pass but EA pisses off some gamers and they're far more evil. Serious lack of priorities & grasp on reality.

Edited by Kindara

A couple months ago, I did get the feeling TSW was pushed back because it was scheduled to launch at the same time of 1.2. I do think EA has some control over when and how to launch. No say what so ever in development though.

I could be completely wrong though.

Nope - TSW was pushed back because it NEEDED to be pushed back. If it launched in April, it would be in bad shape.

TSW's launch is probably more critical than other MMOs b/c the game is so different - there is a bit of a learning curve with the whole no level thing (finding what skills/weapons compliment each other) and it is not a "go here kill X rats" type of game.

For example, in one of the missions, you have to figure out the password to someone's computer given a couple of hints (I actually opened the in-game browser and had to search around to get the answer).

So you have the "leveling", the different structure of quests and the whole proposed external interaction model (some of the in-game characters will have twitter and Facebook accounts that you can visit to get clues - like figuring out someone's favorite composer by looking at their "likes" on their fictional Facebook page) that will frustrate some people - so they really need to have a solid launch.

Why do people insist that every MMO must compete with each other? Not every MMO player prowls MMO news waiting for the next game.

Some people think everything is a zero sum game. They can't wrap their heads around something new creating jobs/customers/wealth.

EA has eaten numerous mmos throughout the years, some are even still online albeit at reduced levels for various reasons.

Ultima(and that's an undying classic, it's such a pity they killed Origin...)

Just want to stop you here. EA owned Origin long before Ultima Online came out. Without the investment from EA there would have been no money to create UO.