The Best View in SWTOR contest has returned! ×

Should i be including Full auto in my tanking rotation?

I think im doing it wrong...i always assumed that i was to use FA in the rotation while single target tanking and pulse cannon when i need to grab AOE threat...but im beginning to suspect from reading other posts that is should be using Pulse cannon instead

just hoping for a definitive answer.

Whats the rotation for single target tanking?

AOE tanking?

Quoting myself from another post:

Consider a priority order more like this: (adapted and simplified from MorningMusume)

Stockstrike

Pulse cannon

High impact bolt

Ion pulse

Hammer shot

Use reserve cell for pulse cannon and throw in energy blast every time you're 2-3 cells down. Use battle focus when you're confident you will get 2+ stockstrikes and 1 pulse cannon during the buff.

Also, if you're not already, be aware of and (ab)use the taunt mechanics described here by Kor.

Full auto suffers from knockbacks so is not really appropriate for use in melee range or even from a distance if you're taking hits (later versions of MorningMusume's rotation remove full auto).

For AOE I cycle neural surge, sticky grenade and explosive surge although it's very ammo intensive. Ideally pulse cannon should also be used if you can get the positioning right.

Edited by _gideon

There is no rotation for classes in this game. You dont stand in one place and pres 1,2,3,1,2,3,1,2,3 like you do in wow.

You need to be using your abilities in reaction to what the enemy is doing.

And yes, you should be using Full Auto.

There is no rotation for classes in this game. You dont stand in one place and pres 1,2,3,1,2,3,1,2,3 like you do in wow.

basically this.. you need to use your abilities based on the situation if the enemies ae clumped up try to use mortar volley and stick grenade etc.. AoE abilities

Full Auto can interrupt channeled abilities so it's viable if your enemy is doing something that is chaneled

but as a tank you want to use close range abilities like stockstrike, ion pulse, etc.

It's still a list of priorities.

Is Stockstrike off cooldown? if so use Stockstrike.

And so on down the line of ammo efficient attacks.

Not advocating taking FA off any bars, but it's certainly not ammo efficient if you're getting hit. It's great for when Gharj is stomping his feet at the platform you just left and etc. though. Or you need to move out of something and still hit a boss.

It's just much more difficult for tanks to pull off.

No, you should not be using full auto at melee range. Most of the time its interrupted, and even when it isn't there are better choices for building aggro.

This

build aggro by using taunts and ion pulse and pulse cannon.. full auto is only viable at close medium to long range

Edited by joshohelp

I haven't done any PvP on my Vanguard (yet), so all of my experience is with PvE. That said, I save Full Auto for Champions and Elites immediately after Cryo Grenade, so they can't interrupt me while I'm shooting them in the face. So my rotation ends up starting...

Sticky Grenade

Cryo Grenade

Full Auto

...and that's when the weak trash usually reaches me, and i get to use Pulse Cannon and Stockstrike. Your mileage may vary.

Your ignorance is showing. With the release of Cataclysm Wow uses a priority system for abilities as well.

Anyway, just wanted to point out to the first person that responded that now that Energy Blast is off the global cooldown, not using Energy Blast on CD is a dps loss (and you should be doing everything you can to increase your dps as a tank since some enrages are very tight). You should be making sure that you're short 2-3 cells when it comes off CD so that you can use it immediately.