The Best View in SWTOR contest has returned! ×

Light Side vs Dark Side

Kylenpn

I tend to go with Light-side decisions with all of my characters, even though both light and dark decisions are too exaggerated. On my Sith Warrior I go Dark side when it feels alright to me - not due to what the annoying Sith codex has determined. Same for my Jedi Councelor. Supporting the secret couple on the starting planet is obviously against the rules, but I'm a romance fanboy :D.

:mad:ye the moron that came out with that idea please see yourself out really

i like play little be on the neutral side and i dont see mine rewards to be neutral some idiot forgot about us

even revan admires does that walk the neutral path really really stupid idea when all bases are not cover

Dark and light decisions can affect what happens in the game as well. A good example is The Esseles flashpoint (not sure if something similar happens in Black Talon). There comes a point where you can chose to either save or kill a group of people. If you choose to save them you have to go do an extra little bit to further the FP. If you choose to kill them you don't have to do that and continue on missing out on that extra side mission.

This happens multiple times during the class stories as well. In the Jedi Knight class story you get an option to kill a particular Sith in the first act. If you choose to spare him he comes back to help you on Corellia. There's pluses and minuses to the dark and light decisions.

I think most people just come up with an internal story for their character (like the Smuggler thought process that's been posted here already) and make decisions that fit with that, which works as well. It all comes down to how you want to play.

I used to hold on to a vague hope that they might let you swap factions at some point during the game, which is why I have a Dark V Jedi Consular and a Light V Sith Warrior. I thought it would make a great expansion but with KotFE I don't think that's ever going to happen now, not unless the story in future seasons separates out the factions again. It would require the complete defeat of the Eternal Empire and I don't think that's going to happen anytime soon.

Just to point out that this thread is from March 2012 and has nothing to do with the new event.

oh, srry my bad... hahaha

Making a fool of myself am I? :D

Anyway, about leveling as Dark or Light generally speaking, I do find that some things were poorly written during the course of pure Light or pure Dark.... It's always more interesting to be in the shades of Gray. Still, even when you make DS choices as an Jedi Knight, for instance, it feels a bit off, kicks me out of character/immersion.

And since I'm at it, idk, this event would've been more interesting if the rewards were not instantly bound to the character itself. I don't see myself prioritizing alts in favor of biased mechanics adopted by the event itself... Hince why I find it obnoxious... =)

I would love to have my toons forced to switch factions depending on how poorly they perform in the eyes of their masters, I mean, it doesn't make sense having an Jedi be kept around the Republic when he is cruel and self-centered. My guess as to not having such mechanic within the game is probably because among the Sith that doesn't really matter to them, if you are being altruist or not, for any of those choices potentially strengthen the Empire, which is the ultimate goal of the masters. Besides, as already mentioned, KoTFE does kill the whole purpose of having an Republic or an Empire alltogether, too much OPness with the ET, to a point that my DS Sith would most likely join them instead of fight them.

Speaking of which, the whole shenanigans of having Valkorian connecting with an Agent/BH/Smuggler/Trooper makes absolutely no sense at all, and that bothers me deeply hahaha He would've rather killed them for they are insignificant if compared to true Jedi/Sith in power and potential... Maybe the biggest "ball-dropping" from Bioware so far concerning SWTOR...