Be careful with SWTOR searches.

Mechrophilia

Over the weekend I picked up a virus, and I am pretty positive it came from searching various non-official/non-authentic SWTOR sites. It was a stupid rootkit virus that, amung other things, redirected all Google clicks to other sites or advertisements. It's called the TDSS, TDL3, or Alureon rootkit, and It was irritating to get rid of.

Anyway, this is just a heads up to everyone: Not all unscrupulous SWTOR-related sites are after your account info. Some just want to hijack your computer with trojans and rootkits. The people who plant these bugs always go after whatever is popular at the time, so in that regard, it's a feather in our cap. But.....

Be careful what you're clicking on out there.

--------------------------------------------------------------------

instructions for removal of this particular rootkit are here: http://www.bleepingcomputer.com/virus-removal/remove-tdss-tdl3-alureon-rootkit-using-tdsskiller

Also be very carefull with regards to any Game related sites that require you to register with your email address

Both SWTOR and WoW use an email addy as part of your login details, and hackers are fully aware that a large number of people use the same email addresses for lots of diff things,

About 2 years ago a very famous WoW related website was hacked, and a large number of registration details were taken, they were after email addresses,

Those email addresses were then bombarded with fake Blizzard emails, all with the same obvious purpose of trying to scare you into going to a keylogger site.

If you really must register on any Game related sites then use an email address that is in no way related to your SWTOR account.

In fact Blizzard recomend that your Game email address should be unique to that Game, ie only used for that Game, and nothing else, this is good advice, and you would be well advised to do the same with SWTOR.

As the game gets older, all the same hacking attempts that have hit WoW, and all the related WoW sites, will start to be aimed at SWTOR, so be carefull.

:)

Edited by Tsaritsin

Yeah, this kind of thing has been around a loooong time. Welcome to the internet indeed.

I was wary of the beta test invite I got for Mists of Panderia because I was under the impression I forfeited my year contract with Blizzard.

Apparently I didn't and it was legit. xD I almost didn't open the email though.

I'm so used to deleting phishing emails exactly like it these days.

Although occasionally the password phishers have a good sense of humor.

I replied to an email once with some colorful fake passwords and info.

I received a reply that said, "But I don't wanna do that to a duck..."

Edited by Brosephiine

just a tip for those looking forward to betas like mists of pandaria, diablo 3 , guild wars, tera and so on. dont open the email stating you have won beta access. just log straight into your account on the games website.

90 percent of the time it will give you a link to the beta download, and show you you were officially approved right on ur account page

(for example, i got a email saying i got invited to mop , which i am still expecting due to me being a yearly pass holder, but instead of me following the link in the email. i went to the games website and logged in from there. i did not have the beta for mop open. but i did have diablo 3 beta there lol)

just a tip for those looking forward to betas like mists of pandaria, diablo 3 , guild wars, tera and so on. dont open the email stating you have won beta access. just log straight into your account on the games website.

90 percent of the time it will give you a link to the beta download, and show you you were officially approved right on ur account page

(for example, i got a email saying i got invited to mop , which i am still expecting due to me being a yearly pass holder, but instead of me following the link in the email. i went to the games website and logged in from there. i did not have the beta for mop open. but i did have diablo 3 beta there lol)

This is what I did actually.

Though the actual invite will link you to battle.net and have you sign in there. They won't have you go to some random separate site or something. So simply reading the email and then heading to battle.net is all it takes for MoP or D3.

Also, good luck on the MoP beta. I'm SO glad I finished the very beginning of the starter area. Make sure you know interactive command prompts and be ready to quickly reset graphics so that people disappear and you can click an item. -__-