The Best View in SWTOR contest has returned! ×

A Question on the Philosophy of 1.2 PVP Changes

Shahryar_

This post is primarily intended to probe the intentions behind some of the core changes to pvp in game update 1.2.

Firstly, I'd like to start by saying that I think swtor's pvp is very well designed. The maps are good to excellent (Hutball), and the resolve mechanic is an elegant solution to an old problem. Class balance from launch until 1.2 has been outstanding when considered against comparable MMOs.

Game update 1.2 has initiated many changes to pvp, including large scale class balance changes, new gear sets, a new warzone etc. Some of the changes, like the usefulness of Recruit gear to fresh 50s, are instantly comprehensible. Two of the changes, however, seem somewhat incongruous with developer philosophy prior to 1.2. These are:

1) A dramatic reduction in the length of time it takes to kill individual players, and

2) Large scale changes to class balance, rather than tweaking slowly as we have seen before.

I would like to ask what the philosophy is behind these changes. Change (1) in particular has struck me since 1.2 hit live servers. In my opinion one of the most appealing aspects of swtor pvp is that it allows for long encounters. In the words of influential pvp broadcaster Taugrim: "SWTOR’s best attribute in PVP" has been "drawn-out fights that allow for tactical gameplay". Since 1.2 hit live, the number of longer fights seem to have reduced, and encounters are more dependent on coordinated focus fire than positioning or longer term tactical choices. Is this change intended, and if so, what is the design philosophy behind it? If this change is unintended, I would suggest moving to equalize the disparity between expertise's damage boost and damage reduction mechanics. This could be achieved either by making the values equal again, or by reducing the gap between them by 50%.

Regarding change (2), I will simply ask what the rationale is behind multiple major changes to an already well (not perfectly) balanced game, and suggest that minor tweaking will be a more successful long term policy.

Spot on, completely agree with OP.

I understand the mentality of bringing healing down a bit and encouraging focus fire, but this seems a bit over the edge.

More and more people i speak to tend to agree that swtor lost the one thing ''famous'' for. The tactical and think-to-act pvp gameplay.

Now it is all about dps stacking to bring down a target to 3-4 seconds. While at those 3-4seconds, you still get to react but not if you're stunned or a healer around is stunned. And getting cc'ed is not that rare in this game.

I see some people saying they're happy with 1.2 pvp situation. Why wouldn't they be? They (mostly dps) are used to pug and charge to the enemies without considering interruping the enemy on the left, stun, root, snare the other on the right. They die and they are led to frustration. With this patch they get to kill 1-2 players now before they go down.

Edited by zaknaphein

You can ask, but do you seriously think that you will get an answer?

I think it's nuts that you die so quick. Sure, you die in PvP, it happens, but I find that I'm spending more time running from my spawn than PvPing since 1.2.

You can ask, but do you seriously think that you will get an answer?

I think it's nuts that you die so quick. Sure, you die in PvP, it happens, but I find that I'm spending more time running from my spawn than PvPing since 1.2.

Bio absolutely gutted healers, and uber-buffed their counterclasses this patch. What did you expect?

Not sure. I guess Marauders/Sentinels expect everything to die with a click of a button, which is why they buffed the class making them invincible vanishing colossal destroyers. Yet Ops/Smugs are useless.

One thing I really did like about swtor was the length of the fights, and yeah battle tides can be turned even when your losing by proper planning and skill.

I loved playing Vigilance spec. Deep Vigilance, for the most part it was somewhat underwhelming in PvP but there were so many situations against Marauders, DPS Powertechs that I would come out of the losing end and come back and win simply because I had more skill and know-how.

Initially I was excited about the patch. Finally. Master Strike which I always thought was viable in PvP, become even stronger. With the damage boost, it can't be interrupted and with Zen Strike I can proc frequently cool downs -- which also provided 2 focus to help fuel my Focused Defense.

However... With the big damage increase across the board and crap damage mitigation it feels like Focused Defense is worthless sometimes. It only ticks every other second, and I still take **** tons of damage even with like 50% mitigation because of the damage buff.

I kill people in seconds, and consequently even with Enure + Focused Defense + Saber Ward I still get taken out quickly as well. But Maras/Sents can be invincible for a few seconds and even vanish. They can engage 3-4 people at once and do **** tons of damage, maybe even take out a few and then vanish somewhere. How is that balanced?

Don't like that at all. Don't know what the **** Bioware is doing, or what they're trying to accomplish but that isn't any fun at all. Skill, planning, team and strategy don't make squat IMO. Just focus something and it dies, especially so with the nerf to healing.

It's why I unsubbed too. I'm not playing a game that doesn't reward skill or doesn't have a competitive PvP environment. All you got to do is roll a sent/mara and you will win. Doesn't matter how good of a player you are, with the buffs to the class and considerable damage increase no way you can suck with them.

Edited by bamsmacked