Quarterly Producer Letter for Q2 2024 ×

Just like Rift, i have to make the same post on the PvP Expertise Stat and it's flaw.

Xsorus

I'm impressed then- I didn't realize TRION normally took the idea of a forum goer, took the time to discuss something that would entirely alter the way the game is played, manage to make all the changes and do all the coding, test it and get it out in a week.

I'd think they'd want to take the time to discuss such a monumental change to their game- but I guess they were all just blown away.

It wasn't a Monumental change to the game in the sense we knew how the game would be with capped pvp stat, because we saw plenty of Rank 8's vs Rank 8's and the combat was just fine.

What was out of touch was anything below Rank 6. When they Normalized the PvP stat the game became far more balanced and ended up with far less instant gibbing of lowbies which made their time more enjoyable in PvP.

*edit*

Also you don't know Trion very well, They have a Developer who sits on the Mage Forum and takes Suggestions as well as Bug reports from the Forum Posters, and then relays his testing and what they're doing back to us.

Trion is probably the best developer in the MMO market for taking Feedback from its Customers.

http://forums.riftgame.com/rift-general-discussions/classes-telara/mage-discussion/296425-mage-bugs-1-7-a.html

He's had multiple threads like that for the last couple patches.

Edited by Xsorus

• Replies 85
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

I will disagree because with rank 8 gear I could easily crush even rank 6 players. Although you are right we should have a standard amount of expertise.

Also yeah I think these other people are right I seriously doubt your post was what made them change it. Its simply common sense,when the gap was as big as rift's.

You could easily crush a Rank 6 player in a 1v1 fight sure, I don't doubt that at all, However what the change did was make it so my Random Fire and Forget AOE didn't kill everyone who wasn't Rank 6 or higher in a matter of seconds.

The OP is absolutely correct. Not sure if Rift changed because of his thread (what I think is unlikely) but this is the only feasible solution for PvP in SWTOR.

This game have always been about casual player rather than HC, see how easy it is to become full T2/T3 in both PvP and PvE therefore what is the reason behind giving such a discrepancy of expertise between tiers?

A good pvp game is about skill not gear, imho the T4 should be no better than 15-20% T1.

a PvP stat existed in DAOC and Warhammer Online, you might not of noticed it in its form it took, but it existed.

It was called Realm Rank and Realm Rank Abilities.

^-^ this... rift pvp was a joke and after the first couple of patches a yawn fest... any way you cut it peeps were screaming OMG my skills are uber when all it was was mash aoe repeatedly till your eyes fell out to get p8 gear and for what? Remember when pvp mages were excluded form pve activities?

Its not about roflstomping the little guy .. its like with pve where u do the same dungeon or raid over again to have the stats to do better in a gear based game...

Normalize and match stats in both pvp and pve so the gear is interchangable.. then seperate the ranks...

I sincerely hope this game does not turn into rift... it was a horrid game for pvp

This is true, pvp is utter *****. There is no skill involved anymore 99% gear-1%skill.

Even baddies that are realy bad at PvP wreck ppl now, cause they play a OP class, and get even more OP with the broken expertise.

This game is broken now, no skills at all are needed, just a zerg fest with everyone 2-3 shot eachother. Before patch you could actully survive in a fight, do some dmg to 1 guy even 2 ppl was on you, but now? ............

people read the opening statement and close this, but if people actually read this...the sane ones would actually agree. However, trion is company that wants to be in the mmo business for years to come...Bioware, does not care, they're more interested in signing those checks for all the voice actors

Yeah right, lets totaly turn this into the fragfest that rift was. And while we´re at it lets disable cc and add 1 button-to-rule-them-all macros like rift had. We should do all that because Rift

was renown for it´s great PVP and because PVPers didn´t leave Rift in droves

on a side note.. ruining one game wasn´t enough for you Op?

yeah the OP should just go back to rift 24/7. :)

For any pvp'er who wants a level playfield, current insane expertise differences feel... insane.

Yep, normalize expertise to a static amount per piece, at all tiers the same. Then minimal (MINIMAL!!!) overall stat increases for the higher tier levels.

I'd rather play SW:ToR "fps match style" with everyone having static stats than this stupid "expertise wins, you didn't have time to grind to BM? hah DIE!"

They actually did it sort of right, because the difference between BM and WH is very small. Something like 100 endurance (1k hp, barely noticable) and 1% expertise. What they screwed up on was boosting the expertise way too much on BM compared to champion, but not doing anything with champion gear. Then you have to choose between champion (huge expertise difference) or recruit (huge stat difference).

The problem, if there is indeed one, is that the champion gear has too little expertise and people are still too used to playing in mixed sets. Meaning that someone who has a full set of battlemaster is going to rock people wearing a split set of centurion/tionese/champion/columni gear especially since even people wearing full champion are having issues because of the current expertise disparity. Some of the issues would be offset by people swapping in recruit pieces for any of their PvE/centurion gear but recruit is blue without set bonuses and people always seem to have an aversion to making what appears to be a downgrade to their gear. Especially when they worked to get what they have while the alternative is just something bought off a vender.

Best fix would be to offer purple mods (just the mods not the enhancements) at the same ilevel (128) as the recruit gear that have expertise. Sell them for credits so they are just as easy to obtain as the recruit pieces. At the same time attach the pvp set bonuses to the recruit pieces to even the playing field a bit more and make the upgrade path from recruit to battlemaster less dramatic.

That way someone with champion pieces could purchase and swap all the mods in their set to have a similar amount of expertise to the recruit set (but still a lot less then battlemaster). Someone with centurion could then do the same and after modding their gear would be roughly as effective as buying the recruit pieces (recruit having more expertise while modded centurion would have more stats).

Could also just sell schematics for high ilevel mods/enhancements with expertise so that cybertechs could then get involved in resolving the issue but whatever you do, do it fast. Between people getting rocked and the lack of "rewards" when you lose a match, the drop out rate is skyrocketing and even those already fully geared are getting very disenchanted with the whole thing.

Edited by Rouncer

Expertise is broken.

PVP core system is broken.

World PVP is broken.

Better to go back to the drawing board and start again. Give everyone 6 months free subs (a la ffxiv) until the game delivers a finished pvp option to players. But in all honesty, GW2 is gonna be kicking this game whilst its down. Inorite.

For any pvp'er who wants a level playfield, current insane expertise differences feel... insane.

Yep, normalize expertise to a static amount per piece, at all tiers the same. Then minimal (MINIMAL!!!) overall stat increases for the higher tier levels.

I'd rather play SW:ToR "fps match style" with everyone having static stats than this stupid "expertise wins, you didn't have time to grind to BM? hah DIE!"

Another entitlement player. Crying about gear, but even with the gear you will still cry since gear don't fix bad.

It has nothing to do with Delusions of Grandeur

I made a Huge Thread in Rift about it, and the very next patch, They changed it to exactly what I said they should do.

Because It was a very basic game play design problem.

You can get Rift at my walmart for 10 bucks. That game didn't last so what's your angle?

Can you at least correct "to" into "too." All of them.

One sec, I'll write that down in my "useless poster of the day" book.

Seriously, Do you wake up and say "Ya know, I'm going too contribute nothing in a thread today so i can appear useless to humanity"

Waste of Skin

Completely agree with everything you said. I personally hate the PvP stat and think they should add an ability system and scrap the expertise stat, this way PvP gear and PvE gear remain seperate. Have it something like:

Recruit:

Can have 2 ability slots at 2 pieces of armor and 4

Battlemaster:

Can have 3 ability slots at 2 pieces, 4 pieces, and 5 pieces

War hero:

4 ability slots at 2, 3, 4, and 5 pieces.

Make abilities have certain requirements, but make them fun and influential without being game breaking. Maybe have them be bought with comms, and have 3 tiers of levels, that way someone who has really been grinding for a while will have more rank 3 tier abilities than someone who capped out after a couple weeks. Just stuff like:

3% increase in end -> 5% increase in end -> 10% increase in end

Have the same for str/will/ etc.

Have a self heal active ability on a 3min timer:

Heals for 15% of health -> 20% - > 30%

I mean, there a million things you can think of, and as long as they balance them before implementation it has the potential to be really fun.

I agree with the OP. Fix this crap bioware....then maybe I'll want to heal again on my Sage which you destroyed.

Also, why is it so hard for people to believe that one man can make a difference? I'd venture to guess that 99% of the kids that flamed the OP for saying this was his idea over in Riftland have never had an original thought in their lives.

remove expertise all together.

rework bolster buff.

bolster buff now ensures all players an even stat contribution spread about based on their advanced class.

bolster buff will apply itself at the same time as the trauma debuff, so world pvp is affected by it as well.

et voila! no more "your pvp got in my pve!" or "YOUR PVE GOT IN MAH PVP!", anyone who enters a warzone will have exactly the same stats as each other. no more ************ or moaning, no more gear gap, fun for everyone!

I hear Guild Wars 2 is doing that...

Important Information

We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue.