The Best View in SWTOR contest has returned! ×

Why does expertise favor damage>damage reduction?

Boshlord

I want to know in what wrold does it make sense to have expertise make you DPS so much greater it negates the damage reduction.

My big problem is 1 of the 3 rolls relies heavily on damage. That being DPS.

A tank would rather have higher mitigation then damage because they arent there to kill people but either keep them alive or complete a task that requires tanking.

A healer would idealy have more mitigation because it would mean less healing would have to go out

DPS should both enjoy and hate the damage reduction part due to the fact they live longer but oppents die slower.

The current system ensures that no one really benefits from expertise being in the game unless you are the DPS

damage>damage reduction>healing makes NO SENSE. Classes dont balance around having a high damage bonus added to there class. what balances a class is having the ability to play it.

even if there isnt a counter to what kept expertise from being balanced that healing bonus part of it i would like to say that i would rather have damage reduction on everyone be higher as a healer then have any bonus to healing. The current situation doesnt make any kind of sense to anyone but DPS

Because of the fact that healing also scales with expertise. The damage increase is mostly counteracted by the damage reduction so that it's like two full BM players are basically wearing PvE gear when fighting each other. The fact that a healing buff is gained through expertise means that damage needs to outscale the damage reduction so that healing doesn't scale out of control.

I want to know in what wrold does it make sense to have expertise make you DPS so much greater it negates the damage reduction.

The current system ensures that no one really benefits from expertise being in the game unless you are the DPS

damage>damage reduction>healing makes NO SENSE. Classes dont balance around having a high damage bonus added to there class. what balances a class is having the ability to play it.

even if there isnt a counter to what kept expertise from being balanced that healing bonus part of it i would like to say that i would rather have damage reduction on everyone be higher as a healer then have any bonus to healing. The current situation doesnt make any kind of sense to anyone but DPS

huh?

The current system ensures that no one really benefits from expertise except HEALERS.

Dmg and Dmg reduction cancel each other out completely. We are only left with + healing.

Id like it if the three separation functions of expertise were awarded in differing numbers dependent on the spec of gear you had. So for example:

Tank gear = 10% damage increase, 30% reduction, 15% healing bonus

Healing gear = 10 % damage increase, 15% reduction, 30% healing bonus

DPS gear = 30% damage increase, 15% healing bonus, 10% reduction

Balanced set (new) = 18% to all

People should make a choice that fits their playstyle and is meaningful on how they operate in PvP.

Edited by AKfourtyseven

huh?

The current system ensures that no one really benefits from expertise except HEALERS.

Dmg and Dmg reduction cancel each other out completely. We are only left with + healing.

No they do not. Look at your stats. Do not believe what dev posts say, look yourself at your stats.

OP is right, that expertise is better for damage then reduction.

The post is very strange but right on that point.

A tank would rather have higher mitigation then damage because they arent there to kill people but either keep them alive or complete a task that requires tanking.

You are also there to kill people, this is not PvE.

No they do not. Look at your stats. Do not believe what dev posts say, look yourself at your stats.

OP is right, that expertise is better for damage then reduction.

The post is very strange but right on that point.

You are also there to kill people, this is not PvE.

Or do your own basic math and you will see I am right.

It doesn't. Read the PvP Math thread for an explanation.

Percent increase != percent decrease. The numbers are balanced to cancel each other out at identical expertise levels.

Edited by flem

Id like it if the three separation functions of expertise were awarded in differing numbers dependent on the spec of gear you had. So for example:

People should make a choice that fits their playstyle and is meaningful on how they operate in PvP.

actually not a bad idea.

This would be a an example of how it should be also, there is no point to give healers a 20%+ bonus to damage and only 9% or so to damage reduction and less then that to bonus healing%

Hell the healing bonus doesnt even come close to off setting the trauma debuff any more

Because of the fact that healing also scales with expertise. The damage increase is mostly counteracted by the damage reduction so that it's like two full BM players are basically wearing PvE gear when fighting each other. The fact that a healing buff is gained through expertise means that damage needs to outscale the damage reduction so that healing doesn't scale out of control.

But even if they capped bonus healing from exp at 10%, no matter what gear the healer / dps is in, they will both have the same damage increase as damage decrease. It makes pvp gear manditory for pvp (which is how it should be) but it doesnt mean damage should lead with a 6% increase out right.

This would be a an example of how it should be also, there is no point to give healers a 20%+ bonus to damage and only 9% or so to damage reduction and less then that to bonus healing%

Hell the healing bonus doesnt even come close to off setting the trauma debuff any more

Trauma is not a pvp balancing tool

It is there ONLY because PvE healers need to be able to heal through boss dmg.

There was hardly ANY change to healing bonus with 1.2

I was 12% before 1.2 and i am 12% bonus healing now too.

Also, your numbers arent anywhere close, it is more like:

+21% dmg

+16.5% dmg reduction

+12% healing

These numbers arent perfect but are very close.

The dmg and dmg reduction cancel each other out perfectly