SWTOR - Does it need to go Free To Play?

pcmanor

It maybe too early to post this, But Lack of people on servers before patch 1.2 rolled out, Problems upon more problems with this being broken and that being broken and now this whole ordeal with the servers today. As subscriber's are dropping like flies because of what is going on today and yes some people that were not happy with the 1.2 update, Has Bio ware let this game slip to far away to keep this game on a paid sub basis? Since day one I seen many things with the game and in game that made me believe they intentionally constructed the game to be a free to play game eventually. Several things come to mind that a customer would have to dish out money for to play in game.

Here is 20 things i can think of off hand for a free to play model/

1. PVP - paying for warzones, paying to basically own them while the game is alive and kicking.

2. world access - access to new worlds, which will most like be in the near future, maybe a world or two very soon.

3. mission access.

4. mounts

5. pets

6. cosmetic and social items

7. capping credit limits, pay to lift the cap

8. skills and heroic type weapons

9. special buffs and med packs

10. crew skills

11. crew missions

12. ship parts

13. ship customization

14. Ship amenities

15. extra character slots

16. extra content

17. expansions ( we are talking the real deal expansions)

18. of course paid character transfers

19. paying to unlock new crew members

20. Misc. gadgets etc. that give you a advantage

anyway i am happy with the game, but not the downtime lol.

Edited by pcmanor

• Replies 71
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

It maybe too early to post this, But Lack of people on servers before patch 1.2 rolled out, Problems upon more problems with this being broken and that being broken and now this whole ordeal with the servers today. As subscriber's are dropping like flies because of what is going on today and yes some people that were not happy with the 1.2 update, Has Bio ware let this game slip to far away to keep this game on a paid sub basis? Since day one I seen many things with the game and in game that made me believe they intentionally constructed the game to be a free to play game eventually. Several things come to mind that a customer would have to dish out money for to play in game.

Here is 20 things i can think of off hand for a free to play model/

1. PVP - paying for warzones, paying to basically own them while the game is alive and kicking.

2. world access - access to new worlds, which will most like be in the near future, maybe a world or two

3. mission access.

4. mounts

5. pets

6. cosmetic and social items

7. capping credit limits, pay to lift the cap

8. skills and heroic type weapons

9. special buffs and med packs

10. crew skills

11. crew missions

12. ship parts

13. ship customization

14. Ship amenities

15. extra character slots

16. extra content

17. expansions ( we are talking the real deal expansions)

18. of course paid character transfers

19. paying to unlock new crew members

20. Misc. gadgets etc. that give you a advantage

anyway i am happy with the game, but not the downtime lol.

Subscribers are dropping like flies now? Did you read that here on the General Forums, or do you have an actual source?

NO! This game has ony been around a few months. Give the guys a Bioware a break, most people here have come from long established MMO which are really good now. Think back to how WOW was back in its early days. Give the guys here time and support and all the problems will be sorted.

Subscribers are dropping like flies now? Did you read that here on the General Forums, or do you have an actual source?

You say that like what we read on the general forums, posted by RANDOM_WHINER_10238 isn't 100% the truth !!!!!

How dare you !!!

This *********** thread again...

Its not going F2P, no one cares about what you want...its doesnt aid Bioware in the end. P2P games that go F2P are *********** stupid and most likely dying so they had to go F2P...not to mention it becomes P2W.

So yea...stop it.

absolutely not.

they can easily do some minor server mergers. boom pop problem solved.

other than that theres no real reason to go free2play.

What problem is solved? There is no open world pvp and without it, its not mmo and if its not mmo so why monthly fee? In its current state this game should be buy to play.

I did not say i would like it to be free to play. No i do not want it to be free to play. It was formed in a question not a statement from myself. I was just bored lol. yeah by what i see in the forums and lack of players in game. They have been dropping like flies, until yesterday when I seen over 100 on the fleet.

By being partly a class story driven game that could have stood as a single player title it is not really fit as a f2p MMO. F2P games usually make the initial catch and bait with levelling, here is a the main point for many before they loose interest -- unless you are exclusively into lvl 50 PvP/PvE.

Hard to put a fitting f2p model around that.

Unless it went part way, lower the monthly fee and add a marketplace for fluff stuff to decorate your spaceship with, non-combat pets, outrageous outfits and rent-a-priest for spontanous weddings Los Skywalker style :p

I see some are quickly to jump on me for this but oh well lol. Too funny. It was a question on what people thought. Not what I thought about it. As someone in the Designing field there were things that just stood out and screamed I can be locked or unlock just pay the price lol. I am positive things will be picking up soon for this game anyway. Well maybe by christmas of 2012. Summer will be showing it's face and gaming communities population does go down significantly . So yeah 1 year anniversary and expansion, this game will boom again hardcore

Important Information

We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue.