New gen of gamers

onisakura

• Replies 140
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Days

Top Posters In This Topic

First off, I truly feel gaming has gone downhill. These new breed of gamers nolonger enjoy the game. They feel compelled to run thru it to end game as fast as possible then complain and ask for dlc/new content. I remember a time back when you played a game to escape reality to get into the world. Back when no one knew what a "dlc" was. When you could play a single game for months/years.

2nd I never understood why people who constantly state they are bored just don't simply do something else instead of sit idle and moan how they feel. Or the ones that aren't truly into a series like Star Wars. Given the time it took for this game to be released and all the times it got pushed back. To truly say you covered everything the star wars universe has to offer takes time. Gamers are nolonger patient.

3rd there is no need to compare games as diff as SWOTR vs WoW. To me it would be like comparing zombies at emy neighbors to resident evil. Is it not ok to like multiple games without feeling the need to outright say this one is superior. Everyone has an opinion. But this new gen of gamers scares me full of trolls and firstfaqs.

Bring back the original gamers, the ones that lived to explore, to play, to live diff worlds diff experiences!!!

Goldeneye Generation FTW :)

Bring back the original gamers, the ones that lived to explore, to play, to live diff worlds diff experiences!!!

I love to explore, unfortunately there's not much to "explore" in this game.

Don't get me wrong, I'm not bored and I enjoy games for what they are....games. I do not, however, enjoy the direction all game companies have gone to tell their community to test their software for them, only to have some serious issues when released to live.

Someone asked the other day if 1.2 was delayed and I commented in general "well, I'd rather they not release to live and fix more bugs, rather than introduce new ones"....what I feel is a fairly reasonable suggestion...only to be met by a comment from some moron that stated "If you weren't testing on the PTS over the last month, then don't complain". Well, I'm sorry, but I pay to play the game, not to test it for them and that was the most ignorant comment someone could have made. It's Bioware's job to make sure a patch is ready, not the paying customer. Period.

I'm not going anywhere any time soon, I still want this game to succeed and I think most people complaining about it want the same thing.

Meh, every generation of gamer feels that way about the previous ones. When the first videogames came out, especially the online ones via BBS and stuff, the tabletops people felt that way. When MUDS came out, BBS players felt that way. When everquest came out, MUDS players felt that way. When FFXI and Lineage came out, Everquest players felt that way. When WoW came out....oh man did the word "carebear" pop a lot.... And so on and so forth.

Now Diablo 3 is coming out without letting you put points in and without a skill tree (even though those things were meaningless because of game designs), and Diablo 2 players feel that way.

Guild War 2 will come out, and people will complain about new gamers not having to go through obsolete class trinity and skill systems.

It will always be that way :)

Meh, every generation of gamer feels that way about the previous ones.

*snip*

When WoW came out....oh man did the word "carebear" pop a lot.... And so on and so forth.

Now Diablo 3 is coming out without letting you put points in and without a skill tree (even though those things were meaningless because of game designs), and Diablo 2 players feel that way.

Guild War 2 will come out, and people will complain about new gamers not having to go through obsolete class trinity and skill systems.

It will always be that way :)

Shhhhhh, stop talking sense to people. I still have some time left before I leave the office, and I want to watch more crying, whining, and omg-bw-failed-me-so-i-must-commit-japanese-ritual-of-sticking-a-bamboo-up-my.... you get the picture.

Every gamer wants to feel like they're better than everyone else. It always makes me happy to read how people try to 1-up others, especially in game forums. Reaffirms my faith in humanity.

Every gamer wants to feel like they're better than everyone else. It always makes me happy to read how people try to 1-up others, especially in game forums. Reaffirms my faith in humanity.

"better" is probably not the best word to use.

to quote a line from "my so-called life"

"we had a time".

it's more something that can't be defined in one word or easily explained but there was something special. even at those times i felt it in the air so to speak. self aware of it.

it's not a question of "better" it's more a question of something lost.

i watch, i observe... i take in.. what's out there today and over the last decade, and i can't find what once was there , it seems gone in this generation, somehow lost.. and something's changed, again "in the air".

Edited by teambff

I agree, but you would have to go back to the late 90's and EQ to find gamers like that. It literally WAS a thrill just to make it to a new zone or gain a level because that game was a challenge. No map or radar, you had to learn the zone or at least do your homework and print a map.

EQ you couldn't even get in and out of some zones without getting a port. Then you might need a raid just to get your corpse back if you died in a bad place like under a God's feet. Can you imagine that now? Kids would be jumping off bridges! I'll tell you what it made it really scary when you had something to lose, and it made the rewards and just exploring the zone more meaningful.

Suffice it to say when people complain about running everywhere, repair costs, gearing up problems, leveling, loot drops, etc. I just laugh at them. This game is so easy and casual friendly it's absurd.

I agree, but you would have to go back to the late 90's and EQ to find gamers like that. It literally WAS a thrill just to make it to a new zone or gain a level because that game was a challenge. No map or radar, you had to learn the zone or at least do your homework and print a map.

EQ you couldn't even get in and out of some zones without getting a port. Then you might need a raid just to get your corpse back if you died in a bad place like under a God's feet. Can you imagine that now? Kids would be jumping off bridges! I'll tell you what it made it really scary when you had something to lose, and it made the rewards and just exploring the zone more meaningful.

Suffice it to say when people complain about running everywhere, repair costs, gearing up problems, leveling, loot drops, etc. I just laugh at them. This game is so easy and casual friendly it's absurd.

LoL, I couldn't agree more. ;)

Consumerism and consumption have triumphed. Corporations have succeeded in training everyone to be the first to buy something and then use it up as quickly as possible. This makes them ready for the next "new thing" on store shelves.

Garbage. Corporations do not drive demand. Consumers drive demand. People demanding those things succeeded in getting corporations to supply them.

This! As an older gamer, I can say that games were a lot harder before. The objective was always to complete it or be better at it than your friends, people on the highscore list, or other players. It's just that lately there's more and more games that make it too easy. They do not force you to explore, don't punish you as badly as the older ones did.

I never explored any game just for the sake of exploring. I did it because I had to. I always bought guides for games that required exploring to find hidden gems, like the old RPGs used to. I do admit that sometimes exploring turned into fun, but it's more nostalgic than anything else.

This is my experience with this game:

- WOW! Beautiful, a bit stuttery, but beautiful... I love walking around on Coruscant!

- Dieing = no punishment? Huh?

- Oh, I can take a speeder from one checkpoint to another.. gf exploring

- Area Loot.. I guess it's useful.. saves time (not what MMORPGs should do)

- Sprint! Yeey, I can now run a bit faster..

- ***? Quick Travel? What's the fun in that?

- Speeders?!? Isn't it already easy enough?

- OMG a skill that takes me to the fleet instantly? As if QT isn't enough

After 3 weeks I completed the class quest and reached 50. It's way too easy, too fast, especially for an older player like myself. I was really amazed at some of the scenery in this game, but unfortunately the game doesn't encourage exploring at all. When I first landed on Tattooine I tried running from Anchorage to Jundlands... Exhaustion zone.. Between two areas that are obviously only a short distance between each other. OK, fine. Not running anywhere anymore unless I have to.

I really have no clue why the developers started to make the games so easy, but they are. My objective is still the same, beat the game, be as good as I can in it. If they don't want me to appreciate the effort and time they've put into it, so be it.

Garbage. Corporations do not drive demand. Consumers drive demand. People demanding those things succeeded in getting corporations to supply them.

Maybe you should check how and why advertising developed and what it is today.

Remeber the huge boom on 4 wheel drives ?

City 4 wheeler anyone ? Do you really need a huge car with 4 wheel drive if you live in the city ?

Everytime I saw one of those sticking it's nose out on sleek asphalt I almost ROFLMAO in public, but I also had to admire the advertising behind those cars.

Every generation says that the next one is worst or rotten,

In general, yes. Still, there are definite changes in game design brought on by cheaper technology that has changed gaming and "gamers." To deny that is to deny history.

idk i guess its just easy to see a whiny little kid and blame it on the generation. Maybe theres just more people? I mean these MMO's back in the day were a bit smaller and therefore could have a more tight nit community.

Actually, they weren't "smaller" per se. In fact, server population on Everquest was probably higher than server population on TOR.

EQ had about 450,000 subscribers at its peak. In terms of MARKET SHARE, this is higher than TOR.

First off, I truly feel gaming has gone downhill. These new breed of gamers nolonger enjoy the game. They feel compelled to run thru it to end game as fast as possible then complain and ask for dlc/new content. I remember a time back when you played a game to escape reality to get into the world. Back when no one knew what a "dlc" was. When you could play a single game for months/years.

2nd I never understood why people who constantly state they are bored just don't simply do something else instead of sit idle and moan how they feel. Or the ones that aren't truly into a series like Star Wars. Given the time it took for this game to be released and all the times it got pushed back. To truly say you covered everything the star wars universe has to offer takes time. Gamers are nolonger patient.

3rd there is no need to compare games as diff as SWOTR vs WoW. To me it would be like comparing zombies at emy neighbors to resident evil. Is it not ok to like multiple games without feeling the need to outright say this one is superior. Everyone has an opinion. But this new gen of gamers scares me full of trolls and firstfaqs.

It has NOTHING to do with the people; all to do with the game developers rehashing the same formula over and over.

At the risk of this developing into a philisophical discussion, society has trained people today to react this way. Hurt yourself because of stupidity? Sue and get a million dollars. Don't like your grade in english 101? have Mommy and Daddy threaten the school with lawsuits. Least valuable player on your t-ball team? Here, have a trophy anyway. Every child is taught he's the best at everything, that he deserves to be catered to. Then when real life hits, they have no idea how to deal with it other than screaming and crying, because that always worked before.

Greetings!

We ask that threads made in General Discussion center on discussion of Star Wars™: The Old Republic™.

Threads made to criticize the community do not foster constructive discussion and are considered off-topic for General Discussion, so we have closed this thread. If you have feedback, we encourage you to contact us at communitysupport@swtor.com.

Thanks for understanding!