Can anybody tell me exactly, what this reroll is gonna do?

deathbykarma

well if they can't get it back to the state it was after they launched 1.2 then everything you did yesterday doesn't count and you will have to do everything again.

lets hope that's not the case i leveled up my treasure hunting to like 140 and gained 2 levels on my alt.

ughh

Since only some map data seems to be affected, actual data should not be affected, right? It's not a real database issue that could cause a rollback, but an issue with wrong map data being released to the live servers, that didn't fit to the 1.2 content.

well if they can't get it back to the state it was after they launched 1.2 then everything you did yesterday doesn't count and you will have to do everything again.

lets hope that's not the case i leveled up my treasure hunting to like 140 and gained 2 levels on my alt.

ughh

I sure hope not. I dinged 50, got the full set of recruit gear, the level 50 speeder, and 4 pieces of BM gear.

I'm not doing that again, Corelia is an absolutely awful planet at least for me. I was very annoyed just doing the class quests and grinding out that last level on Ilum and with space missions etc.

They probably just broke their world data files for the game. Not our player data files. Separate things. If you hose your client (or your entire computer for that matter) your character is still on their servers. They have servers that have to have an image of various parts of the game. they somehow managed to break those images. So they have to repatch themselves, the same way some people had to repatch the game the last few days.

Now the question becomes whether or not they've changed anything in the format of the player character data and what they have to do to read that in properly. Probably nothing, but you never know. Even then, that's a solvable problem pretty easily. Hero engine is pretty robust about making changes on the fly it just causes all sorts of syncronization problems between servers and data centres and clients, but small stuff can be done pretty easily.

Think of it this way: lets say you had a character on denova. that's stored in the player database and when you log in, the player database tells your computer to load up the local files for denova, and it tells the server to pass you into a denova instance. Now, if they accidentally deleted denova on their server your character isn't actually on denova. Your character is on the character database. Your computer can load up denova. But there's no denova server for your character to be passed to. So it just barfs and crashes. Your character is still in the player database. But you can't log in, because there's no denova to log in to. Black hole would be the same thing. The mission deck on the fleets would be the same thing. Any new zones, or locations in those zones that aren't valid could cause everything to crash. The Ziost shadow mission deck might be automatically recoverable, your character would just die (because the mission deck level still exists, you just don't have a valid location), and spawn at the nearest med centre but the other two, there's no way to 'correct' the problem and they want those zones to exist anyway, so fixing they go.

There's no real reason to roll back characters. Characters persistently exist on the server, you just see a delayed imperfect copy of your character with some visualization thrown in. In the event of a hardware failure yes, your character could have data loss. Probably they write from ram to disk every few minutes, the disk is probably in a raid, which is itself backed up probably to another raid server elsewhere, which is probably backed up to another tape. I would guess they probably backup between data centres, so all 4 data centres get a copy of everyones data every few days. Just in case one gets hit by a tsunami sort of thing. Theoretically that data can get garbled and recovering it is not trivial, but there are people who specialize in this, and it usually can be done, if you have the cash. If for example the raid controller is writing the data wrongly to the disk, and then that is being mirrored off to other places the data itself would be wrong. The only thing there is your copy would fail when being read from disk, and could be rolled back partially or completely to an old copy.

This 'rollback' is going to fix the fact that on their play servers they went from 1.1x-> 1.2 -> 1.1x and they need to get back to 1.2, and then potentially roll out whatever they were trying to fix for today 1.2.0.a or however they name things internally.

ughh

ya i had enough time to move on for me i gave it 4 months now 3 + 2 beta weekends.

1.2.0a Patch Notes

4/13/2012

General

Addressed an issue that could prevent characters from being deleted.

Made improvements to the CS ticketing system.

now get owned noobs who pictured a reroll..lol

/facepalm

I thought for sure the hidden dev location was the FINAL TIP OFF, but I guess not ....

1.2.0a Patch Notes

4/13/2012

General

Addressed an issue that could prevent characters from being deleted.

Made improvements to the CS ticketing system.

now get owned noobs who pictured a reroll..lol

as in some of us were unable to delete characters for some reason, did not say characters were deleted.

Important Information

We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue.