Best class for PvE?

Katano

This might be a stupid question to many of you but im simply a MMO noob. I don't have alot of experience with them since im mainly an FPSer or just normal rpg games. I'm sure i struggle alot more on easy enemies then most of you so im starting to think that i should try and use the easiest class for PvE to really get a hang of things.

Now, i understand there may be no easier class but there has to be some that help a newer mmo player get used to all this buff,de buff, aoe stuff :p

Side question- I really love the SW story so far so between Jug and Maur which advanced class might be easier for PvE? I also have no desire to play any form of pvp anytime soon lol.

This might be a stupid question to many of you but im simply a MMO noob. I don't have alot of experience with them since im mainly an FPSer or just normal rpg games. I'm sure i struggle alot more on easy enemies then most of you so im starting to think that i should try and use the easiest class for PvE to really get a hang of things.

Now, i understand there may be no easier class but there has to be some that help a newer mmo player get used to all this buff,de buff, aoe stuff :p

Side question- I really love the SW story so far so between Jug and Maur which advanced class might be easier for PvE? I also have no desire to play any form of pvp anytime soon lol.

From my experience, Juggernaut/guardians and mercs/commandos are the easiest class for PvE :)

Bounty hunters

They are by far the easiest class to play in the game, you get healer companion from the start and its a simple class to use

You do feel indestructible as a BH when it comes to pve

hope that helps

also the whole Sith warrior class is by far the hardest class to play in the game, with juggernaut and marauders being about same difficulty. Though if you really wanna play one don't be put off, as this was my first mmo and i made a jedi guardian for my first character and i made him dps, which i have since learned dps guardians are balls :p so if you just wanna destroy stuff go mauarader

as an mmo noob i presumed you would stick to dps to begin with but a tank juggernaut is amazing for pve, probably the class i have died least with. easiest to hardest to play would be Tank Jugg, DPS mauarder and Dps jugg being hardest

Edited by ZeoFiveRed

My personal experience has been that DPS toons, such as the Maurader, are harder to start out with. They're fragile, don't have any significant/inherent heals, and soloing tough mobs can be a pain. Tank-y characters like the Jug give you more room for mistakes, and you can leave the DPS to your companions. I'm sure you'll get divided opinions on this -- the real answer, I suppose, is to play whichever one most appeals to you. They all work, have complimentary companions and if it's a story you want to play, you're more likely to enjoy it, no?

Thanks for the answers so far :). I will try BH since the story looks like it can be fun and thats the most important thing for me. When it comes to SW i am more attracted to the Maur but it does make sense that the Jug would be easier for me, i will probably try both. I'm sure i'll enjoy any class i play i just don't want to get stuck getting mauled by mobs :p

If you want to stay on with the Sith Warrior, go with Marauder. It is a pure DPS class, which means all you will be focusing on is damage when fighting. The great thing about Warriors is that they get their healing companion on the first world they go to after receiving their ship, Balmorra.

The actual learning curve of how to play a class varies, but imo a DPS class that is all about using damage abilities plus defensive buffs is a lot easier than being a dedicated healer, or being a tank.

It would depend on your style of play, do you like to get up close and personal or do prefer engaging from distance? I've tried all the classes and the one class that is truly enjoyable and which is in my opinion is the best written class is Smuggler.

Whatever role, style or class you choose. Equip your companion well and use +presence gear. Then your companions can do most of the work allowing you to pay more attention to identifying animations and game mechanics, crowd control, defensive abilities etc.

Also, if you're not already. Bind your abilities, drive with your mouse, do it now so you don't have to relearn later.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LPkcrr1JGfA

Neither of your choices are the easiest class to play in TOR nor are they hard...just less forgiving. Not getting a healer companion until later hurts ease of game play. So either you will have to learn to play better or you will have to switch classes until you get better.

For ease of play you have two options:

The most forgiving - Bounty hunter powertech dps/tank

Second choice - Sorc healer/dps or Bountyhunter merc healer/dps

Edited by Aaoogaa

Thanks for more responses :)

I probably should have mentioned i did figure out how to bind abilities and have it set up fairly well its just the fact that i don't know what abilities work best with each other and i tend to run out of endurance or whatever its called since i don't realize how much each ability takes up.

I guess i should just ask am i suppose to move around during combat? I thought it would help me dodge and hit more but at least on starter worlds i kill faster standing still

You don't need to move in combat, especially in PvE. Once an enemy is locked onto you and vice versa, their attacks will hit unless your character rolls high enough to dodge or parry the attack which is out of your control.

With the Sith Warrior you spend rage to activate your abilities, so you have to balance the use of your basic attack which gathers rage and then your stronger attacks to do higher damage, stun the opponent, or otherwise give yourself the advantage.

Juggernaut.

I have a 50 Sorcerer, and he was easy to level also. With the Sorcerer, you have an awesome tank companion (Khem Val) and you can dps AND heal you both. Also, you get great a CC ability that allows you to incapacitate up to three mobs at once for a minute. Once I hit 50 on my Sorcerer, I leveled every other class to the point where they got their ships and left for Balmora (they're all around 16-17). However, once I started leveling my Juggernaut (he's 35 atm) I found I liked him the most of any of them. Once you finish your class quests on Balmora you get a healer companion, and between that and the fact that you wear heavy armor, you're pretty much invincible, at least it has been my experience anyway. With Quinn healing me, it's pretty much non-stop carnage. I find it fun leaping around, smashing, screaming, choking and basically man-handling everything in sight, lol. So basically, for both Sorcerer and Juggernaut you have a nice tank/dps/heal set-up. With the Sorcerer I felt like I had more to watch and manage with his health, my health, interrupts, bubbles, CCing, etc. On my Juggernaut I feel free to just throw caution to the wind and leap from group to group destroying everything, all the while that red bar stays full. :)

I should say that a Bounty Hunter is also easy to level. Same type of thing going on there too with the heavy armor/healer companion, but I just didn't like it as much. But that was just personal taste, you may love them. Although, after you hear Mako repeat her "buster" line for the millionth time (which is around level 11) you're going to want to blast her. ;)

You don't need to move in combat, especially in PvE. Once an enemy is locked onto you and vice versa, their attacks will hit unless your character rolls high enough to dodge or parry the attack which is out of your control.

That's not quite true. You often need to move in PvE. Many enemies will have some sort of AoE effect where a target or something similar appears on the ground, and you need to move out of it.

And there are attacks that can be interrupted as well.

• 2 years later...
In my honest opinion a sorcerer with khem val can solo any mob in the game (excluding world bosses) because they (along with sages) can use the cheaty strategy of just locking the mob in cc and healing their companion whenever they get low. Their a little squishy but they get static barrier as well and a massive instant self heal. If your not feeling to confident at PVE then roll a sorcerer, spec healer and stick with khem. And also if you ever do decide to get into PVP on that character the imperial PVP really needs more healers :rak_tongue:

I've found every class easy to level, although marauders/sentinels are possibly the most difficult.

Remember to do 3 things in combat:

1) Kill order is weak to strong. Kill the weakest mobs first, working your way up to the stronger ones.

2) Don't stand in fire! If you see a circle on the ground, move away from it.

3) Use your interrupt liberally: every time you see a long cast bar on an enemy you're fighting, interrupt it!

Finally, don't be afraid to overlevel yourself. It can make PvE quest chains MUCH easier if you're 5 levels higher than them. You can easily overlevel yourself by doing a bunch of FPs and WZs. Don't write off PvP if you haven't tried it, and always remember to complete the bonus series on every planet.

... Don't write off PvP if you haven't tried it, and always remember to complete the bonus series on every planet.

Note that some bonus series are at a higher level than normal for the planet. For example, Nar Shadaa is a level 20-24 planet, but the bonus series has level 30+ enemies in it.

In this case, you may need to finish Tatooine (and possibly Alderaan) before returning to do the Nar Shadaa bonus series.

They're not all like this, however. Most bonus series keep to the same level range as the normal planetary quests.

You can't go wrong with an Annihilation Mara or a Marksman Sniper. Best damage in the game, very fun play, and great stories. Mercenary is also good to play because of great area-of-effect damage and ranged capabilities, but it's just not the same.

I remember abandoning the sorcerer character of mine, because it was so hard to play. Well, it was my second try, so I was fairly unexperienced, but still, I'd avoid healing classes unless it's really what you want to do. (Same with tanks. I was amazed how much faster I started killing stuff when I respecced my guardian and powertech to DPS trees).

I also can't recommend Treek enough. Her mercenary contract is available on GTN and through the Cartel Market, thoguh the price is fairly steep.

It depends on what you want to do. If you want to level as quickly as possible, then you need a DPS character. If you want to increase your survivability and be able to solo Heroic quests, you need a healer with a tank or DPS companion, or a tank character with a healing companion.

I have levelled several tanks and while they're slower, they can take on missions that are considerably more difficult than what an equal-levelled DPS character can handle.

I would suggest a Vanguard (Trooper) or Powertech (Bounty Hunter)... you can start out in the DPS tree of your choice and if you want more survivability you can switch to the tank tree.

• 4 months later...

Interesting thread. I'm back after a 2 year break so I need to relearn a lot of tactics/mechanics. Sounds like it's good that I'm making a Bounty Hunter.

I'm wondering how much the coming skill tree changes might affect gameplay. I suppose I'll have to wait and find out what the Discipline System will be about. I hope my brain's up for it! :p

Interesting thread. I'm back after a 2 year break so I need to relearn a lot of tactics/mechanics. Sounds like it's good that I'm making a Bounty Hunter.

I'm wondering how much the coming skill tree changes might affect gameplay. I suppose I'll have to wait and find out what the Discipline System will be about. I hope my brain's up for it! :p

The only gameplay impact is no more hybrid builds, and no more "bad" options.

At launch, when I saw the skill trees, I knew this was going to happen eventually. WoW went through the same evolution, and it is a logical one:

1. In the design stages the developers come up with all these "cool" abilities/enhancements to abilities that all players will want to try.
  2. However, upon launch, (more hardcore) players of the game discover certain builds are simply better than others
  3. The rest of the population wants to play the game as optimally as possible so they go to the web and find these optimal builds
  4. As a result, some (if not many) skills go disused because they are not part of the optimal builds
  5. As a result there becomes an "illusion of choice": yes many skills exist and one can choose any of them, but if one chooses a "bad" skill his/her dps/hps/tps will be less than the rest.
  6. The devs try to balance the skills so that any skill in any tier is equally desirable, but all they do is encourage hybrid builds; build that take a lot of good things from two trees.
  7. This results in significant game balance issues as hybrids are not intended
  8. As a result, back the drawing board the devs go and they come up with the discipline system: a method whereby characters get new abilities as they advance in level AND have some choices but ones that do directly impact the chosen play style/role being filled

It took Blizzard eight years and four expansions to come up with their version in WoW. I'll grant that Bioware probably saw the writing on the wall when Blizzard did this and so Bioware made the discipline system earlier in the life of SWTOR, rather than continue to struggle with skill trees.

The only gameplay impact is no more hybrid builds, and no more "bad" options.

At launch, when I saw the skill trees, I knew this was going to happen eventually. WoW went through the same evolution, and it is a logical one:

1. In the design stages the developers come up with all these "cool" abilities/enhancements to abilities that all players will want to try.
  2. However, upon launch, (more hardcore) players of the game discover certain builds are simply better than others
  3. The rest of the population wants to play the game as optimally as possible so they go to the web and find these optimal builds
  4. As a result, some (if not many) skills go disused because they are not part of the optimal builds
  5. As a result there becomes an "illusion of choice": yes many skills exist and one can choose any of them, but if one chooses a "bad" skill his/her dps/hps/tps will be less than the rest.
  6. The devs try to balance the skills so that any skill in any tier is equally desirable, but all they do is encourage hybrid builds; build that take a lot of good things from two trees.
  7. This results in significant game balance issues as hybrids are not intended
  8. As a result, back the drawing board the devs go and they come up with the discipline system: a method whereby characters get new abilities as they advance in level AND have some choices but ones that do directly impact the chosen play style/role being filled

It took Blizzard eight years and four expansions to come up with their version in WoW. I'll grant that Bioware probably saw the writing on the wall when Blizzard did this and so Bioware made the discipline system earlier in the life of SWTOR, rather than continue to struggle with skill trees.

I like the interesting write up; the coming discipline system sounds like a practical idea and looks to be less confusing than the current system. I like that it'll be less likely to make a bad build! :cool:

There seems to be a lot of attention focused on the new housing. I suppose it would be nice if a house can be shared among my account characters, and handy if any house storage can be shared by them as well. I'm curious if an empire character can visit a republic home. I've still got some research to do on that.

Thanks again for the info on the discipline system! :)

There seems to be a lot of attention focused on the new housing. I suppose it would be nice if a house can be shared among my account characters, and handy if any house storage can be shared by them as well. I'm curious if an empire character can visit a republic home. I've still got some research to do on that.

There are four planets where strongholds can be acquired: the two capital planets (Dromund Kaas, and Coruscant), Nar Shaddaa, and Tatooine. Strongholds are not account wide (they do not cross servers as far as I am aware), but they are legacy wide. NS and Tat are neutral worlds so imp or pub does not matter; any character in a legacy can go there. DK and Coru can also be visited by any character, but if a character of the opposing faction (i.e. you want your Sith Warrior to go to your Trooper's Stronghold on Coruscant), the character has to be "smuggled in" for a fee. I think the highest it goes is 1000 credits per visit.

...DK and Coru can also be visited by any character, but if a character of the opposing faction (i.e. you want your Sith Warrior to go to your Trooper's Stronghold on Coruscant), the character has to be "smuggled in" for a fee. I think the highest it goes is 1000 credits per visit.

The smuggling bit adds a bit of drama, it's a nice touch. :cool: