Kira and the sentinel: viable?

stormdrakelord

now, i am not talking about like in groups, flashpoints or pvp; but like for going out doing quests. just how good is this pairing? i know using her effectively means being a defense guardian, but i just want the effectiveness of Kira teaming up with a sentinel before i decide which AC to go through. Edited by stormdrakelord

I found her pretty ineffective soloing. Esp vs bosses. She plows through trash well enough. But she doesn't put out enough dps to make up for lack of healing/tanking vs bigger targets.

However, some thought on the matter, and I think there are ways to work around it.

1. Biochem. biochem gives access to more/better medpacks. Which allows you to be a bit beefier, and thus use her dps.

2. Focus spec, or watchman. I was using combat. And, I've come to figure out combat is a weak leveling spec.

Focus has 5-7% def built in. It has much much more dps early game in all its slash talents. Also its 5% base damage is more then ataru for quite a long time. And there is even the 20% heal on CC break. Combined, way more damage, way more def then Combat. This will make you much more viable with her dpsing.

Watchman is similar. The passive healing makes you a bit beefier then combat, so again, you can make due with her dealing dps, and wont need t7 tanking for you so much.

By passive heals they probably mean that Watchmen can talent to receive 2% healing whenever one of their burns criticals. You can use this to stack cauterize/overload with zen triggers for a decent amount of incoming heals without sacrificing damage.

Personally I'm having little difficulty with Kira as my companion. Esp for trash it's actually not a bad idea to send her in first then leap. Spread the incoming damage around, and against non bosses she actually can take a punch pretty well. Usually that's not as much fun as just force leaping in though so just make good use of your stuns.

I've had no problem with elites with her. I just open, blow def cooldowns and stack burns on them with zen. She pumps damage into them fairly respectably and I finish same level or a slightly above elites still with most of my health bar.

common sense would say use a companion that compliments your class, not mirrors it... but hey, common sense is so damn rare now.

I know its not the best one to run BUT.... I like the idea of rolling with 2 Jedi...

If needed I will change out for a tank or healer companion if I run into a place I cant get by.

i use her just because i like the idea of 2 jedi's but when soloing open world 2 man quests or elites ect i use t7 but when using kira you WILL have to use your cool downs and pretty much keep them on cooldown since you pretty much always pull agro, especially when aoeing a pack of mobs down. Edited by RageFit

common sense would say use a companion that compliments your class, not mirrors it... but hey, common sense is so damn rare now.

maybe you did not read OP, i already know the two do not mesh well, but i see the defense spec guardian as more of the flashpoint/operation, so unless you know of a way to make offensive defense-specced guardian, i'll decide to go sentinel.

might go guardian anyway, as sentinel makes feel like a fury warrior from WoW, squishy. but this thread is to help me decide which AC to go.

Edited by stormdrakelord

Im a Level 18 Focus Sentinel and I almost always only use Kira, to include on Elites. She's hot and I cant wait to craft her better looking duds that what she comes with, which leads me to my point. If you AGGRESSIVELY upgrade her gear, just as you would your own, she can be stellar. I typically take on 4-7 at a time, at my level up to two levels above me. Silvers, I can usually manage 2-3 of those, depending upon what Im fighting and Golds are rarely a problem although, she can die every now and then on golds. Yellow/golds, again, depending upon which ones, I can almost always take with her around, too. The downside is, ya do spend a lot of time self healing, as there can be some close calls or just as a matter of grinding a lot.

I have been exclusively using Kira and had little to no problem including with gold mobs. Watchman spec definitely helps those heals add up. I'm level 34 currently and will continue to use her until I get the final companion simply because I like having 2 Jedi in a group. Her dps isn't bad I can send her to solo silvers and she does fine just make sure you keep her gear as updated as your own. Edited by Jorha

I have been exclusively using Kira and had little to no problem including with gold mobs. Watchman spec definitely helps those heals add up. I'm level 34 currently and will continue to use her until I get the final companion simply because I like having 2 Jedi in a group. Her dps isn't bad I can send her to solo silvers and she does fine just make sure you keep her gear as updated as your own.

synthweaving? what about lightsabers?

I used her up to level 33 or 34 when you get Doc. Doc is amazing with the heals and will keep you going a lot better then Kira.

Until you get Force Camouflage I would normally send in Kira first and then jump after waiting a little bit. I would soon get aggro from just doing damage. I would just use her as a damage sponge and if she died on a boss then I was still up and could still get that boss down.

I changed that up with the Force Camouflage and I would jump in first. If I started getting to low I would hit FC and the boss would then start hitting on Kira. This allowed me to get things cooled down and I could start DPS'ing again.

Actually the real reason I don't use her anymore is she is wanting to get married and have force babies and stuff. I said "Hey woman!!!! You can't tie this wandering Jedi down!!!"

synthweaving? what about lightsabers?

I'm artifice so I can keep enhancements and gems up to date and I pvp a decent amount and once I finish buying myself gear I buy it for her also then just anything that drops that's an upgrade I use on her and don't sell it. I'm level 40 now and her gear is almost as good as mine.

you realize your protocol droid is a healer? a bad one though that starts with no gear.

No I didn't realize that. I will have to take a look, but haven't much need. I should also clarify that I'm taking on equal level champions (multicolored stars). Not must your heroic (single color star) mobs.

That is with Kira.

I've done my leveling with Kira whenever possible, and I don't have any problems unless I zone out and stop paying attention. Together we burn stuff down before it can kill us.

I do dislike that I have to stop and heal every other fight or so, but I consider that a small price to pay for her assistance and commentary.

-Kai-Lunn