Quarterly Producer Letter for Q2 2024 ×

The "Maverick" 1/22/18 - The fun is back.

Agooz

Don't take this as complete dismissal but I am weary of this spec, compared to deep pyro. Today I met a vanguard rolling in this spec, and decided to get test him out... The burst of TD seems way too much for the comparative advantage of having a sure railshot crit (that doesn't hit as hard as deep pyro crit) in the 1v1s (If you can call GY camping that)

the TD burst + 2 railshot could pretty much get him from 100% to about 40% before all your goodies kick in. Again this PT vs PT so its extremely biased towards that, given that HO (which I take it is the main reason u went down to AP) is completely useless against another PT.

I can see this build been useful in huttball, but for the other warzones, Im a tiny bit weary....

• Replies 73
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Don't take this as complete dismissal but I am weary of this spec, compared to deep pyro. Today I met a vanguard rolling in this spec, and decided to get test him out... The burst of TD seems way too much for the comparative advantage of having a sure railshot crit (that doesn't hit as hard as deep pyro crit) in the 1v1s (If you can call GY camping that)

the TD burst + 2 railshot could pretty much get him from 100% to about 40% before all your goodies kick in. Again this PT vs PT so its extremely biased towards that, given that HO (which I take it is the main reason u went down to AP) is completely useless against another PT.

I can see this build been useful in huttball, but for the other warzones, Im a tiny bit weary....

I posted a pretty long write up a few weeks back on this build and same thing I said in there, You'll lose to a full Pyro. No way around it.

But you look at this build to have (compared to AP) more Mobile DPS while allowing for HO to provide for "kiting" or to advance to a point quicker. It is not, and will never be, a top PvP DPS Spec 1v1. That was never the point of that hybrid.

Correct, I never claimed this to be a top DPS spec. In fact I said it throughout this thread, that it will not outdamage pyro. But I was still VERY surprised at its damage output after I specced it. I thought it would be trailing by alot, but it does not.

I still dont have any issues with 1v1 against any class, including PT. I just wanted to see what others think of it, not based on just looking at the specc, but actually giving it a try for a couple of days or so.

Edited by Agooz

This sounds promising, I always like the abilities and idea behind AP, just never had enough damage as Pyro. With this, could possibly get the best of both worlds without taking a huge hit by not going total Pryo.

AP is on par damage wise with Pyro, the Maverick is designed to be a middle ground of utility and damage

AP is on par damage wise with Pyro, the Maverick is designed to be a middle ground of utility and damage

Is it on par now with 1.2 or was it on par pre-1.2? Because the impression I got pre-1.2 was that AP definitely didn't have the damage output that Pyro had, not sure how close or even it is now.

Is it on par now with 1.2 or was it on par pre-1.2? Because the impression I got pre-1.2 was that AP definitely didn't have the damage output that Pyro had, not sure how close or even it is now.

It's on par burst wise now. It was always within 5 percent it just took longer to get there, and was pretty tough to use in pvp due to the difficulty in pulling off PFT in PvP. Now it's much easier which gives us the appearance of having more dps.

Our damage is the same except in an RS rotation, you will use RS more often, while in a Norse rotation you will use PFT more often. The Pyro nerf is small, but it brought it more inline with ever other class.

The only reason pyro was "better" was it had a better slow, and it's burst was much easier to pull off repeatedly.

This spec's been around pre-1.2. On Taugrim's blog, its titled "Run-and-Gun."

The difference between it now and before 1.2 is the 6-second internal cooldown of PPA. For a PvE Operations situation, its not a big deal. For PvP situations, however, 6 seconds is a long time and you will end up getting less mileage out of a spec like this – especially with the shorter Time To Kill in Warzones.

The difference between it now and before 1.2 is the 6-second internal cooldown of PPA. For a PvE Operations situation, its not a big deal. For PvP situations, however, 6 seconds is a long time and you will end up getting less mileage out of a spec like this – especially with the shorter Time To Kill in Warzones.

He didn't say he created the spec, least didn't get that from the original post.

Edited by exphryl

First of all, I didnt start this to get credit for anything. I just want to have people try out something new and "fun" post 1.2. If you have not tried this spec for at least 2 days, I would say that your criticism is very much exaggerated and uninformed. This is not someone who's been playing AP or Ironfist/Tank specs pre 1.2 and having delusions. I'm in full BM with most my pvp experience playing a pyro. And for the record, I might very well return to pyro. In the mean time, I am still in the top 1-3 damage/medals/kills in WZ, where as a Pyro I was always 1st-2nd. The trade off? some extra utilities that I would like to play with, without the need of dealing with full AP specs.

The 6sec change actually favors this spec now, not pre 1.2. Pyro back to back RS and the "fun" factor of the RNG gamble would never have had me even consider something like this. Not to mention that pre 1.2 you could dominate as a pyro without TD. Now, it seems like it is essential.

The current rotation of a pyro now must include alot more Rapid shots. In this spec I hardly use it at all because of better heat management.

I always dismissed a hybrid like this just by looking at the spec and points distribution. It always felt that it would be lacking ALOT of dps. But when I tried it, I was extremely surprised at its damage out. I would say, it probably has the damage output of AP pre 1.2 in comparison to Pyro, without the need of worrying about the situational awareness, luck factor, enemy clusters or the setup requirement of PFT. And CGC damage+snare more than makes up not having Immolate. Yes it also lacks burst spikes in comparison to Pyro, but it is certainly not hindering me from winning 9 our of 10 1v1s and half of 1v2s.

Hope this build is going well or have some opinions on the Pyro vs this "Maverick" build. Looking forward to your comparisons.

I switched back to Pyro yesterday to make a fair comparison in terms of 1.2

Obviously Pyro with TD spec has larger spikes, no doubt. So if that's what you are looking for in PvP, then you still cant beat it. I am back to 1st in damage 90% of the time, as opposed to being in the top 3 with the Maverick spec.

That said, it is by no means a "gimped" spec as I initially thought before I tried it. The sustained damage and superior heat management, while gaining the utilities of AP is very nice. It was great scoring in Huttball all the time with the Maverick.

So I am not going to lie and say you will melt faces with it as a TD pyro, but I seriously did not have real issues going against anyone 1v1.

I am at 100k respec now, so not switching back anytime soon. But it is definitely a spec, I would mind rolling with again in the future.

I switched back to Pyro yesterday to make a fair comparison in terms of 1.2

Obviously Pyro with TD spec has larger spikes, no doubt. So if that's what you are looking for in PvP, then you still cant beat it. I am back to 1st in damage 90% of the time, as opposed to being in the top 3 with the Maverick spec.

That said, it is by no means a "gimped" spec as I initially thought before I tried it. The sustained damage and superior heat management, while gaining the utilities of AP is very nice. It was great scoring in Huttball all the time with the Maverick.

So I am not going to lie and say you will melt faces with it as a TD pyro, but I seriously did not have real issues going against anyone 1v1.

I am at 100k respec now, so not switching back anytime soon. But it is definitely a spec, I would mind rolling with again in the future.

Cool, thanks for the feedback on it. I might give it a shot because I like the idea of more utilities and see how I'm able to run it. I always know Pyro is a reliable back up in case Maverick doesn't work for me.

Agooz, I am super excited to try the Maverick spec, thanks for posting it. I was curious if you made any pvp vids of yourself using this spec? I would love to see it in action!! Thanks so much for your time!!

Agooz, I am super excited to try the Maverick spec, thanks for posting it. I was curious if you made any pvp vids of yourself using this spec? I would love to see it in action!! Thanks so much for your time!!

Unfortunately I dont do videos. Most of the threads I see with someone showing off turn into a flamefest/L2P/Trolling. Besides the point of this was just to have people try something new, that is still viable. Now the mileage maybe very different from one player to another. But like any spec, one should spend some time with it to learn its pros/cons.

I respecced back to deep Pyro to see the difference,and I am stuck with it for a while until my respec cost resets. There is an obvious boost to Railshots upside spike. But definitely missing HO, and faster grapples. Those two alone are a game changer for Huttball.

I also just switched to 2pc Combat Medic and 2pc Supercomando remoded for PvP, and I am LOVING an 18sec Energy shield.

Very interesting build, and I'm definitely going to implement it as I finish leveling up. I almost exclusively PvP, while doing my main story quests on the side, so I should have a fair amount of practice at it in the lowbie ranks.

Any insight in to your openers during PvP? Flame burst's application of CGC suffices in "burning" the target in order to get Superheated Rail's affect right? Does the armor disregarded during Railshot from Puncture and Superheated Rail stack? (sorry, I know these are more general Powertech questions, than "Maverick" specific ones).

I'd like to hear everyone's opinion on where to put the last "floater" point. There are good arguments to be made for many different skills, but I'd like to hear what you all think about the choices of:

+1% Endurance

-15 seconds on Vent Heat CD

+3% RS damage

-2% enemy damage (as Agooz chose initially)

+2% fire damage (does this also apply to CGC?)

Thanks!

Very interesting build, and I'm definitely going to implement it as I finish leveling up. I almost exclusively PvP, while doing my main story quests on the side, so I should have a fair amount of practice at it in the lowbie ranks.

Any insight in to your openers during PvP? Flame burst's application of CGC suffices in "burning" the target in order to get Superheated Rail's affect right? Does the armor disregarded during Railshot from Puncture and Superheated Rail stack? (sorry, I know these are more general Powertech questions, than "Maverick" specific ones).

If you are at range opener is IM>RS>FB>RB>RS>FB>RP>etc...

At melee RB>RS>FB>RP>RS>FB>etc...

Just make sure you have RB on the target, not so much to trigger RS, but to trigger Charged Guantlet. If you are not making use of Charged gauntlets (meaning using RB and RP all the time), this spec is going to perform poorly.

Yes the armor penetration stacks.

Also note that CGC will amount to at least 20% of your damage.

I'd like to hear everyone's opinion on where to put the last "floater" point. There are good arguments to be made for many different skills, but I'd like to hear what you all think about the choices of:

+1% Endurance

-15 seconds on Vent Heat CD

- +3% RS damage

-2% enemy damage (as Agooz chose initially)

+2% fire damage (does this also apply to CGC?)

Thanks!

I would only choose one of the highlighted options above. I would definitely consider the 3% RS damage if I were to use the PvE combat tech set, for a total of 11% to RS. I like the -2% damage because it doesnt just affect me, but anyone my target is fighting.

Edited by Agooz

I know you have been typically deep pyro before and after testing this spec but I would like to hear from anyone who was/is running "Iron Fist" compared to this "Maverick".

I know Iron Fist is more of an objective defense/utility box type spec and the comparisons might be apples to oranges but still interested to hear none-the-less.

Thanks!

I know you have been typically deep pyro before and after testing this spec but I would like to hear from anyone who was/is running "Iron Fist" compared to this "Maverick".

I know Iron Fist is more of an objective defense/utility box type spec and the comparisons might be apples to oranges but still interested to hear none-the-less.

Thanks!

I have tried the Iron First before. It is a pvp "Tank" spec. It has some of the lower utilities of AP. So in comparison, if you role is to Guard another player on your team, then stick with IronFist. Otherwise, I dont see any other advantage. The maverick (a dps spec) will do alot more dps, alot more burst, has more AP utilities, and you can still score in Huttball.

I have tried the Iron First before. It is a pvp "Tank" spec. It has some of the lower utilities of AP. So in comparison, if you role is to Guard another player on your team, then stick with IronFist. Otherwise, I dont see any other advantage. The maverick (a dps spec) will do alot more dps, alot more burst, has more AP utilities, and you can still score in Huttball.

Thanks! This was the comparison info I was looking for. I have been leveling up in the "Iron Fist" simply because it was described as more of a "mobile" spec by Taugrim which is more to my playstyle and it was in the final days of the Parakeet so I didn't want to bother with a spec that was dying anyway. I have a Gunslinger that is Sharpshooter/Sabo build that I love for PvP dps but it's severe lack in mobility drives me crazy unless I have a pocket healer.

So I guess I have shyed away from deep pyro because it sounds more of a range spec with more dependence on cast time abilities. I look forward to trying this spec but atm I am lvl 28 (rank 19 valor though so I pvp a good deal with this toon), do you have any advice on which side of the build to skill up first as I go?

Edited by Sylentjay

Thanks! This was the comparison info I was looking for. I have been leveling up in the "Iron Fist" simply because it was described as more of a "mobile" spec by Taugrim which is more to my playstyle and it was in the final days of the Parakeet so I didn't want to bother with a spec that was dying anyway. I have a Gunslinger that is Sharpshooter/Sabo build that I love for PvP dps but it's severe lack in mobility drives me crazy unless I have a pocket healer.

So I guess I have shyed away from deep pyro because it sounds more of a range spec with more dependence on cast time abilities. I look forward to trying this spec but atm I am lvl 28 (rank 19 valor though so I pvp a good deal with this toon), do you have any advice on which side of the build to skill up first as I go?

Ok, just to make your experience easier to ---->50. Iron Fist is NOT a leveling spec. It is specifically for PvP. You would be better off going FULL shieldtech. If you prefer dps, then you cant do better than Pyro. Pyro's lack of mobility is more than made up by its sheer damage and burst. It is NOT a range tree, you need to be within melee/10m range 90% of the time. It has ZERO dependency on cast time abilities, which is a huge advantage for Pyro PTs over other dps classes. All Pyro's main abilities are instant cast.

When you reach at least lvl 40, you can try the AP tree as well. It does better now than it did pre 1.2

As far as the maverick goes, I wouldn't recommend it as a leveling spec either. You need pretty much the entire talent points pool to make it viable. At 50 it is viable for both PvP and PvE.

Edited by Agooz

I'm sorry I should have been more clear. I usually PvP more than anything as I level up so I didn't really mean as PvE. Granted I know PvE based specs are better for PvE leveling but I generally just build up the PvP spec I am going for so I can use it's features along the way in WZ's because PvE content is typically cake.

*editied because I realized I typed "typically" way too much**

Edited by Sylentjay

this build has been around since the start...

there is a video of the hybrid AP/Pyro build here, on a vanguard, here (although pre1.2, the basics didnt change much):

http://oozostrikesback.blogspot.co.uk/

what you loose in damage, you get it back in utility and survivability.

overall, it is a quite a flexible spec.

this build has been around since the start...

there is a video of the hybrid AP/Pyro build here, on a vanguard, here (although pre1.2, the basics didnt change much):

http://oozostrikesback.blogspot.co.uk/

what you loose in damage, you get it back in utility and survivability.

overall, it is a quite a flexible spec.

Like I said before, the "concept" of AP/Pyro tree was mentioned before. But 1.2 actually makes this makes MORE viable. I always discounted it pre 1.2. Now that the Pyro burst has been taken one notch down, and the huge buff charged gauntlets got, it makes ALOT more sense now.

Like I said before, the "concept" of AP/Pyro tree was mentioned before. But 1.2 actually makes this makes MORE viable. I always discounted it pre 1.2. Now that the Pyro burst has been taken one notch down, and the huge buff charged gauntlets got, it makes ALOT more sense now.

perhaps you always dismissed it before 1.2 but not much have changed to a certain extent

I dont think 1.2 made the build that more viable apart from Quell which is off CD and PFT more reliable

Its pre1.2 highpoints were to get HO+short CD grapple/electro/quell with PPA.

after the 1.2, it is still the same expect that you can try to fit PFT now.

Utility is pretty much the same

damage wise, it was already decent pre1.2. Besides, if the pyro burst has been taken one notch down, so does the burst of this build too.

Important Information

We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue.