The Best View in SWTOR contest has returned! ×

Color crystals and the lore

Belpheghor

I could "move on", and I've tried, but every time I see Sith with green and blue sabers my blood pressure rises.

The WoW kids have ruined this game, Bioware had sensible alignment restrictions in place and the whiners QQ'd until they removed them, that's the sad reality.

I'm mad because Bioware doesn't have the backbone to stick with what's right, they HAD it more or less right and screwed it all in fear or losing some subs, period.

Bioware has failed so hard in this game, they have screwed up the lore with non alignment crystals and even worse with the Legacy system, blending the factions together in a hodgepodge in order to get peeps to constantly reroll since there is little endgame in this MMO.

What they SHOULD do is merge servers, allow free transfers like Rift did (but it's EA so likely no, they will be paid), set up cross server warzones, cross server LFG for Flashpoints/Operations and set reasonable restrictions that DON'T break traditional lore.

edit: Since Mythic is a part of this game, would be nice to see some RvR for the factions to fight one another, assuming in a few months we'll even be able to tell them apart with how Bioware is letting the kids mix everything up.

I suggest going to your local comic book store and picking up every Tales of the Jedi comics series or TPB that you can find. You will see Sith with Blue Sabers and Jedi with every color in the rainbow. If your view on color crystals is from JUST the movies, then your view is wrong as far as the lore of the Old Republic goes.

• Replies 317
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

IBioware has failed so hard in this game, they have screwed up the lore with non alignment crystals and even worse with the Legacy system, blending the factions together in a hodgepodge in order to get peeps to constantly reroll since there is little endgame in this MMO.

Oh shush you, they didn't ruin the lore. They are perfectly within the lore of the universe, what they messed up is your personal sense of aesethics. And I'm surprised you are complaining about legacy when the goal was to recrete the relationship between Darth Vader and Luke which I would think would appeal to your strict movie only sensibilities.

All that aisde though, this thread is now about the pure awesomeness of the inevitable Plaid crystal now that you have pointed out that games are non-canon. All shall worship the almighty plaid crystal!

I'm mad because Bioware doesn't have the backbone to stick with what's right

The way it worked before was wrong. Not only did it break lore, it forced people to use crystals that didn't fit with their factions. Nothing about the alignment restrictions actually worked on any level.

But that's ok, I'm sure you will ignore this post like you do every other post that points out how you have been proven wrong at least once each page.

All that aisde though, this thread is now about the pure awesomeness of the inevitable Plaid crystal now that you have pointed out that games are non-canon. All shall worship the almighty plaid crystal!

Each Legacy will have it's own unique plaid design...:D

Such an odd point to try and make isn't it, to say that KOTOR, the FOUNDATION of this MMO states that Blue=Guardian, Green=Consular, Yellow=Sentinel, Red=Sith and these do not apply to SWTOR in any way?? Are you mad?

If your first movie was Empire I'm happy for you, indeed, I agree and have a similar background, my first movie was episode IV so our beginnings were similiar, but that's about it I'd say.

And yes, the RPGs I've played also structure the colors and roles in a similar fashion.

The blade color identifies the role of it's user, so why on earth would we mix all the colors up into a chaotic hodgepodge where each faction's spacefleet looks and feels like a rainbow of nonsense, there is no rhyme or reason, no logic, just pure, selfish, silly vanity without purpose.

Restrictions need to be made, a set of colors needs to be set up for each faction, so there will be NO mixing of colors between the 2. I should be able to tell by the blade color alone which faction someone is on, divisions are necesarry for the lore.

Stop trying to justify this silly vanity by saying this isn't the movies and rules don't apply, if the very game that STARTED this MMO had colors for different roles and common sense restrictions, why shouldn't this game as well?

In KoTOR, these were the starting colors, because these crystals gave stat boosts for the classes. Also, if you wanted to change at nearly anytime, you could.

my Guardian will use red since it is my gavorite color, so it will be hers as well.

as Kilikaa said, my favorite color=my toons favorite color as well, crystals in SW are mostly for aesthetics anyway.

Bioware has failed so hard in this game, they have screwed up the lore with non alignment crystals and even worse with the Legacy system, blending the factions together in a hodgepodge in order to get peeps to constantly reroll since there is little endgame in this MMO.

What they SHOULD do is merge servers, allow free transfers like Rift did (but it's EA so likely no, they will be paid), set up cross server warzones, cross server LFG for Flashpoints/Operations and set reasonable restrictions that DON'T break traditional lore.

First : I can't believe this thread is still going on. I skimmed through the comments since my last post and it was like watching reruns. Of Sportscenter.

Second: You keep saying that Bioware broke traditional lore by not imposing color restrictions. Prove it. Because I can cite multiple examples from various levels of canon that prove that there are no color restrictions in lore. None. Zero.

Third: You never did answer my question about how to address the discrepancy between KOTOR and SWTOR when it comes to Sentinels, Consulars, and Guardians. Or what color Sages and Shadows should get.

But at least you dropped the true Star Wars fan bit.

First : I can't believe this thread is still going on. I skimmed through the comments since my last post and it was like watching reruns. Of Sportscenter.

Second: You keep saying that Bioware broke traditional lore by not imposing color restrictions. Prove it. Because I can cite multiple examples from various levels of canon that prove that there are no color restrictions in lore. None. Zero.

Third: You never did answer my question about how to address the discrepancy between KOTOR and SWTOR when it comes to Sentinels, Consulars, and Guardians. Or what color Sages and Shadows should get.

But at least you dropped the true Star Wars fan bit.

I'm with you, man. There is no reasoning with most "traddies", since they go off JUST the movies and take George's word as Gospel, 95% of the time. Big difference between the Hardcore fans and the Traditional fans. Us Hardcores know that there have NEVER been alignment restrictions on color crystals. No novel. No game. Only a few POWER crystals in KotOR and KotOR II had alignment restrictions. Color crystals never did.

The thread is still going on because it is now about how awesome plaid crystals will be when they are inevitably added to the game. :p

I chose a light pink for my sith inq simply for visual pleasure. If I and everyone of us sith were stuck with red for 4- levels Id be upset about the lack of customization then we would ***** about that. Several Jedi used red sabers several Sith used non-red. Who cares?

Sith traditionally never used red sabers they used Crimson. :D

As I thought I understood the lore the Sith used Crimson sabers maybe once out of need but eventually as a way to distinguish themselves from the Jedi. Using the movies as reference is a little odd didn't this game take place thousands of years before that? 3,500 years before the movies a Sith probably did use a Crimson saber typically although I'm not sure there were strict rules about this.

Although what I don't understand is how we are on the Empire because I thought the Empire didn't come about for another 3,500 years? Was there an earlier Empire because I thought that is what Palpatine did during the times of the movies, change the Old Republic to the Empire?

The way I've always seen it, the colour of the crystal has not so much to do with actual alignment but symbolism and tradition. Here in this era, the Sith have been isolated from most of the galaxy for a thousand years, just exposed to the Jedi some 80 years before the game starts. Red is obviously a tradition, but why would it be so wrong for them to use any other crystal, even if it's their way of giving the middle finger to the Jedi?

My problem is with the Jedi who use red. The reason being that Darth Revan and Malak and their Sith used the red sabres when raveging the galaxy, which the Jedi would know about more than the Sith of this Empire would know about the Jedi use of green, yellow or blue. And since Jedi never used red throughout the history before Revan and Malak came, the hue is a symbol of the Dark Side.

It's quite obviously just a tradition among the Sith. I'm sure that if Exar Kun had contact with the Sith Empire instead of a spirit of a SIth from when swords were used (Marka Ragnos), he would have used red too. Instead, he just used his Jedi crystal.

Although what I don't understand is how we are on the Empire because I thought the Empire didn't come about for another 3,500 years? Was there an earlier Empire because I thought that is what Palpatine did during the times of the movies, change the Old Republic to the Empire?

When the Republic tried to xenocide the Sith species and culture at the end of the Great Hyperspace War, a group of survivors fled the carnage on Korriban and wandered the Unknown Regions for years before settling on Dromund Kaas, (An ancient and forgotten Sith planet) and rebuilding their civilization.

Palpatine presumably used many of their motifs and iconographies when building his Empire, as a way to recognise the past glory of the Sith and to spite the galaxy.

My SI uses blue because he is not evil and does things that hurt the empire not help it, if he can. I like blue because it makes some players who like to be evil annoyed. He will not be a straight good guy, but try to do the right thing and hurt the sith empire if he can. I find red sabers unappealing and kind of ugly compared to cooler colors. Although my favorite colors are cyan (MOTF), orange (HOTG), and purple.