The Best View in SWTOR contest has returned! ×

Color crystals and the lore

Belpheghor

• Replies 317
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Uh no..he's saying that post-Ruusan rare colors like magenta would be hard to find.

My english isnt that good so my bad. It makes sense now.

Im still wondering about more specific info regarding the Mageneta color crystal , origins of planet and such. Is this information even out? Because its tough for me to research

do you think a sith would get all moody and angsty and throw away perfectly good blue lightsaber crystals cus they arent hardcore enough? thats silly.

Yes, red is just as common and sith prefer it (proved by the generalization). Again, if you want to be an exception then you should have to work really hard for it.

Still, it blurs the line between the factions, if I see a blue saber, I should be able to identify it as a Jedi Guardian, green a Consular, etc.

I have NO problem with having extra colors for cosmetic reasons, just give Jedi variations on blues and greens, yellows, etc, the proper colors.

Some colors are more or less neutral like purple for instance.

It's a Pandora's Box, pretty soon half the Sith kids will be running around with blues and greens and the Jedi with reds.....not the Star Wars MMO I dreamed of.....did you?

And if you played for example kotor and kotor 2 you should know, that as a sith or jedi you could use both color crystals.

I really do not get why people get so angry about this, since as stated above it is no cannon, it is like wearing robes, jedi suppose to wear robes yet somehow jedi knight are wearing heavy armor.

In kotor 2 there were: Blue, Yellow,Green,Red,Violet,Orange,Silver,Viridian,Bronze,Cyan.

So jedi can't use red, but can use all other lightsaber color crystals, and sith can't use blue and green but all other ones they can. That doesn't make any sense.

Somehow everybody can use yellow lightsaber crystal yet original it was jedi sentinel crystal so I think you are missing a logic here mate.

Yes, red is just as common and sith prefer it (proved by the generalization). Again, if you want to be an exception then you should have to work really hard for it.

Our characters are the exception, we are the best out of the best (Sith or Jedi). That gives us the in-lore reason to be unique and pick our own crystal, next up is other player approval of being unique (ie you). Considering its an MMO and I can make my character any way I want to be different, I don't much have to care about what you think.

Well, guess that worked out.

Fine, I give up, I'm way too outnumbered on this issue, seems everyone wants everything mixed up into a hodgepodge so there's no point in arguing about it. Between the crystals and the Legacy System, Bioware has already trashed the 2 sides beyond repair anyway and I'm sure more blurring of the lines will continue.

Just sad is all, Bioware has zero respect for SW and is deluding the factions in order to make a buck. They've opened Pandora's Box to appease whiners and now I fear for the future of this young game. I hope I don't see too many Sith Pureblood Consulars or I'll need a gag bucket next to my computer......:(

How is it deluding the factions exactly? General Madine from the original movies was an Imperial defector who joined the Rebellion, is it really that hard to believe that there will be Chiss or Purebloods who feel the Empire is intent on enslaving or destroying all life in the galaxy, and thus don't want to stand with them? Is it that hard to believe that the "Republic Specific" races wouldn't feel that the Empire is gonna win and want to be on the winning side? And the idea that the books don't count because "they're not really Star Wars" is hilarious. This game isn't based on any of the movies but off the books! So the books have more say in how the game should be than any of the movies!

I like the tradition where jedi have green, blue, yellow and the sith with red, but many people like to have any color they want. I think bioware should have put it so where you have to have a certain amount of lightside/darkside points to get a crystal that is used more by the other faction. Like a jedi having to get dark 2 to get a red crystal for an example. I think that would be a reasonable compromise.

Again, if you want to be an exception then you should have to work really hard for it.

My character is the exception, my character is in fact very exceptional. My character is the Luke Skywalker, Obi-Wan, Exar Kung, Han Solo, Boba Fett of this era.

Not sure what hard to understand about that. The stuff my character does in game more then earns me the right to use what ever color crystal I want.

Our characters are the movers and shakers of this galaxy, not sure what more you think we need to do.

I like the tradition where jedi have green, blue, yellow and the sith with red, but many people like to have any color they want. I think bioware should have put it so where you have to have a certain amount of lightside/darkside points to get a crystal that is used more by the other faction. Like a jedi having to get dark 2 to get a red crystal for an example. I think that would be a reasonable compromise.

They originally had that and then removed it, and its not a satisfying compromise because there is no reason lore-wise any Sith or Jedi can't come along and use any crystal. If you like the tradition then fine, make a guild where you follow the tradition or ignore the occasional person who doesn't follow the tradition.

You can't force it on other people though, its their character. People constantly forget the fact that Red is still the most common color on the Sith side and Green/Blue on Jedi, they just have to have everything 100% their traditional way.

Our characters are the exception, we are the best out of the best (Sith or Jedi). That gives us the in-lore reason to be unique and pick our own crystal, next up is other player approval of being unique (ie you). Considering its an MMO and I can make my character any way I want to be different, I don't much have to care about what you think.

Well, guess that worked out.

Sorry, but we're discussing this from a community perspective and your toon is no more special than mine or anyone elses. Again, you should have to work your *** off to REALLY be special.

Otherwise you might as well be give 50 gear once you get to your capital world.

Like a jedi having to get dark 2 to get a red crystal for an example. I think that would be a reasonable compromise.

That's how it worked before sort of. Except in that case if you were Dark 1 you could not use blue or green crystals. Light 1 and you could not use red crystals.

This is actually more immersion breaking, because then you have a bunch of Jedi running around with Red crystals and Sith with Blue or Green ones, because of their alignment. So that means that people are barred from using the traditional colors.

Linking crystal colors to alignment is a bad idea, plain and simple. It actually breaks lore, and causes more issues with immersion then the way it currently works.

Sorry, but we're discussing this from a community perspective

No we're not.

We're discussing it from a Lore perspective, I never once saw anyone say that we need to look at this from a community stand point, other then you. I know I never agreed to that. Who do you think you are to come in here and start making up rules about stuff like this?

I would kindly ask you to stop trying to ram your opinion down the throat of everyone else in this game.

Your opinions aren't backed up by lore, by logic or by the community. Quit trying to force your narrow minded view point on everyone else.

Just because your arguments have fallen apart and you know it, doesn't mean you get to change the debate.

Edited by VanorDM

Sorry, but we're discussing this from a community perspective and your toon is no more special than mine or anyone elses. Again, you should have to work your *** off to REALLY be special.

You keep saying this and yet you are giving no actual way for a person to work his butt off to earn the right to use that crystal. And you are also not saying why I have to do this when we are talking about a color crystal that can be found on any planet.

If I can pick a color crystal of any color, you can pick a color crystal of any kind. Its not my fault I picked magenta (in your mind special) and you chose to stick with red, you could do the same thing.

Its just a very petty argument.

Hello Everyone,

We understand that the subject of crystal colors within the game and lore is popular and can get heated at times. We'd like to remind everyone to please be civil and kind to your fellow forum members when posting.

We have a diverse community with a variety of playstyles and opinions, and while everyone is entitled to their own opinions, we ask that they be expressed in a constructive and respectful manner.

Please review the Rules of Conduct if you have not done so lately, and please keep the following in mind when posting:

• Insults - Please do not resort to or use them in any way in your posts. Posts should be productive, not destructive.
  • Disruptive Behavior - Please do not post messages that are purposefully designed to provoke, antagonize, or otherwise elicit a negative emotional response.
  • Agree to Disagree - Be respectful of others' viewpoints even if they are opposite of your own. Discuss disagreements constructively.
  • Flag, Don't Fight - Utilize the Flag Post feature to report possible rules violations, rather than responding to or fighting them.
  • Ignoring - If you feel you simply cannot get along with another community member, please place them on your ignore list.

Thank you for helping us keep this discussion constructive and respectful.

You keep saying this and yet you are giving no actual way for a person to work his butt off to earn the right to use that crystal.

The very idea that I have to do something extra to earn the right to use a crystal is asinine. Making it to lvl 50 and finishing my class story line requires a whole lot more effort then sitting around and making up stories about all the deeds I've done, and battles I've won.

I've done the whole RP thing and still do, but there's no actual effort involved in doing it...

Sorry, but we're discussing this from a community perspective

Does this mean we all get a vote on how each player's saber should look? Because I get the feeling that the vote might go against you.

and your toon is no more special than mine or anyone elses.

Compared to NPCs and the trillions of other beings in the galaxy, our characters -are- special. That's borne out in the various storylines.

Again, you should have to work your *** off to REALLY be special.

Why?

When you're forced to resort to logical fallacies trying to score a point, you've pretty much lost the argument.

They originally had that and then removed it, and its not a satisfying compromise because there is no reason lore-wise any Sith or Jedi can't come along and use any crystal. If you like the tradition then fine, make a guild where you follow the tradition or ignore the occasional person who doesn't follow the tradition.

You can't force it on other people though, its their character. People constantly forget the fact that Red is still the most common color on the Sith side and Green/Blue on Jedi, they just have to have everything 100% their traditional way.

Evan though I like it traditional I have no big problem with other people using what they want. I also didn't notice that they restricted the crystals appon alignment before.

Edited by ToEasy

My character uses a white color crystal which is now removed from the game. I like to think Im more special than some. LOL

Now to be serious,

Is there any SW lore information out there available about white color crystals ? Again , its very tough for me to reasearch but I would like to know about the origins of this crystal and which kind of jedi used it. Anyone?

My character uses a white color crystal which is now removed from the game. I like to think Im more special than some. LOL

Now to be serious,

Is there any SW lore information out there available about white color crystals ? Again , its very tough for me to reasearch but I would like to know about the origins of this crystal and which kind of jedi used it. Anyone?

here is one

http://starwars.wikia.com/wiki/Krayt_dragon_pearl

and another

http://starwars.wikia.com/wiki/Sun_Crystal

there were a few more. just type in white crystal, and it will give a list of links

here is one

http://starwars.wikia.com/wiki/Krayt_dragon_pearl

and another

http://starwars.wikia.com/wiki/Sun_Crystal

there were a few more. just type in white crystal, and it will give a list of links

Wow thats very helpful thank you! Especially about the sun crystals. I was aware of the Krayt dragon pearl but I thought it was merely a component to use in building a lightsaber ( like in SW Galaxies ) and not an actual force color crystal. Is it? :S

Edited by krystianswtor

Wow thats very helpful thank you! Especially about the sun crystals. I was aware of the Krayt dragon pearl but I thought it was merely a component to use in building a lightsaber ( like in SW Galaxies ) and not an actual force color crystal. Is it? :S

yo bet.

this is from the wooki:

"Sun crystals were precious stones found on Jazbina and the Forest Moon of Endor. The fragile gems had the ability to exponentially reflect and brighten light"

I'm less worried about the color and more about the length of the blades on the lightsabers. They closer resemble the dimensions of a baseball bat and looks even more so when a guardian is carrying it around like one. Im tempted to start levelling a sith warrior because my JK looks so stupid holding his lightsaber.

I'm less worried about the color and more about the length of the blades on the lightsabers. They closer resemble the dimensions of a baseball bat and looks even more so when a guardian is carrying it around like one. Im tempted to start levelling a sith warrior because my JK looks so stupid holding his lightsaber.

Off the top of my head I know Qui Gon held it like the JK after igniting his lightsaber and preparing his stance. It might be breaking immersion for you because you are substituting a Lightsaber for a baseball bat in your head.

I'm not sure if someone mentioned this, but the ability for both Jedi and Sith to have non-standard colors for their side is easily explainable.

For one, both sides generally have different philosophies surrounding lightsabers. Jedi generally view their lightsaber as a extension of their being. To be without their lightsaber is the same to them as missing and arm (this can explain why Sages just don't drop their lightsaber after level 10).

Because the Jedi view their lightsabers so highly, most personally build their own lightsaber (usually when it's time for them to become a Knight or recognized as a Jedi rather than simply Padawan). Most of the crystals a Jedi used are natural crystals obtained from caves. The most common crystals used are Adegan crystals. Most of them are blue or green. This explains why most Jedi in canon lore have blue or green lightsabers.

However, natural lightsaber crystals cover a wide variety of colors. Even red natural crystals are available. A Jedi does not have to betray the basics of how the Order treats their lightsabers in order to obtain a red lightsaber.

The Sith treat their lightsabers vastly different as a whole. Instead of viewing the weapon of an extension of themselves, the common opinion of Sith was that their lightsaber was another tool for their goals. Because of that, most Sith either inherited, stole, or obtained mass produced lightsabers.

A blue or green lightsaber for a Sith could easily be explained away by saying it was stolen from a Jedi. It could even be handwaved by saying the Sith was an ex-Jedi and simply used their old lightsaber. There's also the chance, since Sith allow significantly more freedom in practices than Jedi, that the Sith still built their lightsaber with care and natural crystals.

However, the biggest reason for why Sith use red lightsaber in abundance is that synthetic lightsaber crystals are red by default. Again, most Sith view their lightsaber as a tool so it wouldn't matter how it's made so long as it is reliable. The color of a synthetic crystal can be altered, though, which gives Sith the ability to personally choose their own colored lightsaber if they desire.

So, in the end, the prevalence of certain colors for Sith and Jedi is mostly because of philosophies surrounding the building and obtaining of a lightsaber, and it's perfectly possible for either side to make an unorthodox colored lightsaber without betraying the basics of their philosophy.

Going meta, though, the lightsaber colors for each side were chosen in order to color-code who's evil and who's good. Bioware followed this logic with SWTOR with Dark Side and Light Side restrictions to certain colors and now removed them for most crystals.