The Best View in SWTOR contest has returned! ×

Color crystals and the lore

Belpheghor

Why is Bioware letting kids on Sith side use blues and greens for color crystals? Those are Jedi colors, through and through, Guardian and Consular, not Sith.

Give Sith variations on reds, maybe a black red, a light red, an orange red, and all the neutral colors like white, grey, black, etc, but NOT green and blue, it's just wrong.

Yellow was bad enough (Sentinel), it seems like Bioware is making a mockery of Star Wars lore, the new Legacy system is absurd, now everyone wants to use Sith purebloods for Jedi and Republic roles....:(

They're blurring the lines between the factions WAY too much imho.

• Replies 317
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Ok... here we go. Sith Lord using blue saber: Exar Kun. 'Nuff said.

Jedi Master using purple saber: Mace Mutha****in' Windu. 'Nuff said.

Also, Obi-Wan used a red saber for a while in TCW.

Just because something is TRADITIONAL, does not mean it's MANDATORY.

soon as someone hits Dark 1 they shouldn't be able to use green and blue color crystals, and same with red as soon as someone hits light 1, don't know if this is actually implemented, but i read that it was in game, not sure though.

It was, and then they changed it because of the fact that alignment restrictions are NOT canon. As I stated in my above post, there have been instances of Jedi using "Sith" colors and even a Dark Lord of the Sith using a blue saber.

It was, and then they changed it because of the fact that alignment restrictions are NOT canon. As I stated in my above post, there have been instances of Jedi using "Sith" colors and even a Dark Lord of the Sith using a blue saber.

Still, it blurs the line between the factions, if I see a blue saber, I should be able to identify it as a Jedi Guardian, green a Consular, etc.

I have NO problem with having extra colors for cosmetic reasons, just give Jedi variations on blues and greens, yellows, etc, the proper colors.

Some colors are more or less neutral like purple for instance.

It's a Pandora's Box, pretty soon half the Sith kids will be running around with blues and greens and the Jedi with reds.....not the Star Wars MMO I dreamed of.....did you?

My sith Marauder always uses the saber of his most recent force user kill. Until he has fully dominated and finally replaced the Force the former wielder used in the sabers creation with his own. How DARE you call my reasoning into question!?!

::draws blue and red bladed sabers:: :csw_bluesaber::mad::wea_03:

I shall split you in T[spit]WAIN!!!

Edited by Shadymyk

I honestly believe that one should be able to choose whatever color they want to choose. Just because a majority or Sith use red and a majority of Jedi used green/blue, doesn't mean that I or anyone else is bound to those colors. People get so hung up on the movies.

The Jedi you see in the movies got their crystals primarily from Illum, which produced only green and blue. Thus, that's about all you saw.

Adi Gallia in EP 1 had a crimson red blade. Just an example.

You are entitled to your opinion and you are able to choose to either have red or green/blue. But for my Force users, they'll use whatever I choose because I like to have the freedom of choice.

Edited by RoyalGuardian

Even if the lore supported color restrictions (which it doesn't), the restrictions it would support would be factionally based, NOT alignment based. The reason the Sith used red crystals was because they did not have access to the natural crystal formations the Jedi did, and had to use synthetic crystals, and red synthetic crystals are the easiest to make. The Jedi, on the other hand, used natural crystals, giving them access to an assortment of colors.

Yes, an assortment, not just green and blue. Because, as my signature states, prior to the Battle of Ruusan, Jedi had access to many more natural crystal sites, which provided crystals in a variety of colors. After the Ruusan campaign, the Jedi lost access to many of those sites, and could obtain crystals pretty much exclusively from Illum, which only provided blue and green crystals. In case you're wondering, the Ruusan Campaign takes place in 1,000 BBY, roughly two thousand years AFTER the timeframe in which TOR is set.

Anyone who's even passively watched the Star Wars movies knows that there is absolutely no reason whatsoever to make it impossible for a Dark-Side character to use green and blue lightsabers, or for a lightsider to use red. Case in point:

Anakin Skywalker, RotS, using his blue lightsaber after he turns to the Dark Side and becomes Darth Vader.

General Grievous, RotS, using blue and green lightsabers despite being a thoroughly evil bastard.

Darth Vader, RotJ, activating Luke's green lightsaber.

Obi-Wan, The Clone Wars, using Asajj Ventress' red lightsaber.

Let me make this perfectly clear: THERE IS ABSOLUTELY NO REASON TO RESTRICT COLORS BASED ON ALIGNMENT. For those of you who claims is break immersion, we've all seen Sith characters who chose to play Light-Side running around FORCED to use blue and green because of the alignment restrictions, and Jedi who took Dark-Side options forced to use red. That makes no sense. Removing the alignment restrictions allows Sith characters to use Sith red lightsabers no matter their alignment choices, and allows Jedi to use green and blue no matter their alignment choices.

Finally, the last nail in the coffin for pro-restriction arguments, is blasters. 95% of blasters in Star Wars fire red bolts. The ONLY blaster we see not shooting red bolts are the DC-15 rifles and carbines used by the Clone Troopers, which fire blue, and the SoroSuub ELG-3A blaster pistols used by Padme and her handmaidens (the sleek sliver blaster pistols, not the big honking ones that fired the grappling lines.) When alignment restrictions were in place, Troopers, Smugglers, Agents, and Bounty Hunters HAD to go dark side if they wanted to shoot red blaster bolts. Now, they don't.

I don't often say this, but if you support alignment restrictions on color crystals, you are factually, demonstrably, utterly WRONG.

Still, it blurs the line between the factions, if I see a blue saber, I should be able to identify it as a Jedi Guardian, green a Consular, etc.

I have NO problem with having extra colors for cosmetic reasons, just give Jedi variations on blues and greens, yellows, etc, the proper colors.

Some colors are more or less neutral like purple for instance.

It's a Pandora's Box, pretty soon half the Sith kids will be running around with blues and greens and the Jedi with reds.....not the Star Wars MMO I dreamed of.....did you?

The Jedi and Sith change with the ages, its not always mandatory for Jedi gaurdians to have blue and consulars green ect. That way of colour codeing died along with all the other jedi of that time (Kotor) its now 300 years later and they're probably not that picky who has what colour, although it is probably frowned upon for Jedi to have red sabers but its not forbidden and vise versa for Sith.

Even if the lore supported color restrictions (which it doesn't), the restrictions it would support would be factionally based, NOT alignment based. The reason the Sith used red crystals was because they did not have access to the natural crystal formations the Jedi did, and had to use synthetic crystals, and red synthetic crystals are the easiest to make. The Jedi, on the other hand, used natural crystals, giving them access to an assortment of colors.

Yes, an assortment, not just green and blue. Because, as my signature states, prior to the Battle of Ruusan, Jedi had access to many more natural crystal sites, which provided crystals in a variety of colors. After the Ruusan campaign, the Jedi lost access to many of those sites, and could obtain crystals pretty much exclusively from Illum, which only provided blue and green crystals. In case you're wondering, the Ruusan Campaign takes place in 1,000 BBY, roughly two thousand years AFTER the timeframe in which TOR is set.

Anyone who's even passively watched the Star Wars movies knows that there is absolutely no reason whatsoever to make it impossible for a Dark-Side character to use green and blue lightsabers, or for a lightsider to use red. Case in point:

Anakin Skywalker, RotS, using his blue lightsaber after he turns to the Dark Side and becomes Darth Vader.

General Grievous, RotS, using blue and green lightsabers despite being a thoroughly evil bastard.

Darth Vader, RotJ, activating Luke's green lightsaber.

Obi-Wan, The Clone Wars, using Asajj Ventress' red lightsaber.

Exar Kun used a double bladed BLUE Lightsaber

Let me make this perfectly clear: THERE IS ABSOLUTELY NO REASON TO RESTRICT COLORS BASED ON ALIGNMENT. For those of you who claims is break immersion, we've all seen Sith characters who chose to play Light-Side running around FORCED to use blue and green because of the alignment restrictions, and Jedi who took Dark-Side options forced to use red. That makes no sense. Removing the alignment restrictions allows Sith characters to use Sith red lightsabers no matter their alignment choices, and allows Jedi to use green and blue no matter their alignment choices.

Finally, the last nail in the coffin for pro-restriction arguments, is blasters. 95% of blasters in Star Wars fire red bolts. The ONLY blaster we see not shooting red bolts are the DC-15 rifles and carbines used by the Clone Troopers, which fire blue, and the SoroSuub ELG-3A blaster pistols used by Padme and her handmaidens (the sleek sliver blaster pistols, not the big honking ones that fired the grappling lines.) When alignment restrictions were in place, Troopers, Smugglers, Agents, and Bounty Hunters HAD to go dark side if they wanted to shoot red blaster bolts. Now, they don't.

I don't often say this, but if you support alignment restrictions on color crystals, you are factually, demonstrably, utterly WRONG.

Fixed it for ya. You forgot ol' Exar. :D

Yes restrict the colors... that way my Commanado at Light IV cannot use a red crystal for his blaster because the Sith players feel it should be restricted to Dark Side alignment only because they don't think a Jedi Guardian should use a Red crystal.

Yup sounds logical to me. Just like it was before.

"That is not logical"

Why is Bioware letting kids on Sith side use blues and greens for color crystals? Those are Jedi colors, through and through, Guardian and Consular, not Sith.

Give Sith variations on reds, maybe a black red, a light red, an orange red, and all the neutral colors like white, grey, black, etc, but NOT green and blue, it's just wrong.

Yellow was bad enough (Sentinel), it seems like Bioware is making a mockery of Star Wars lore, the new Legacy system is absurd, now everyone wants to use Sith purebloods for Jedi and Republic roles....:(

They're blurring the lines between the factions WAY too much imho.

I am sure someone else has already posted this... but in the SW lore there is absolutely nothing to say that crystal colours are faction-dependent.

The only reason in the lore that Sith use predominantly red crystals is that they are based in a galactic sector with no naturally occuring lightsablr crystal nodes, so they have to synthesize them artificially. Their meditations during that process and the emotions that drive Sith force users imbue the crystals with their distinctive red hue.

Fixed it for ya. You forgot ol' Exar. :D

Didn't forget him, but he'd been mentioned previously, and I was trying to restrict it to the "most canon" evidence. I honestly felt I was stretching it a bit including the Clone Wars, since a lot of SW fans seem to want to plunge their heads in the sand and deny it exists.

But yes, Exar Kun is a wonderful example, and opens the door for MANY more besides. His Sith Order came pretty much entirely from the Jedi Order, and his new Sith Lords almost all continued to use their Jedi lightsabers, in whatever color they may have been, when they annointed themselves Sith Lords. So not only does Exar Kun himself disprove the alignment restrictions, so does his entire Sith Order.

I was actually in favor of alignment restrictions on color crystals prior to the release of the game. But my opinion changed over time while playing. I actually abide by restrictions that feel right for my character (my LS Sith Sorcerer uses green/blue because it just seems right). But that's my opinion and preference and shouldn't be imposed on others.

OP, just because YOU view Star Wars in a certain way, doesn't mean everyone else does. Play your characters according to the lore you feel is important, and let others have their fun.

Didn't forget him, but he'd been mentioned previously, and I was trying to restrict it to the "most canon" evidence. I honestly felt I was stretching it a bit including the Clone Wars, since a lot of SW fans seem to want to plunge their heads in the sand and deny it exists.

But yes, Exar Kun is a wonderful example, and opens the door for MANY more besides. His Sith Order came pretty much entirely from the Jedi Order, and his new Sith Lords almost all continued to use their Jedi lightsabers, in whatever color they may have been, when they annointed themselves Sith Lords. So not only does Exar Kun himself disprove the alignment restrictions, so does his entire Sith Order.

Actually, considering Lucas and his family have pretty solid control over TCW, it's not a stretch at all. You hit the nail on the head. :)