1.2 Sorc Heals Thoughts?

Zhaker

How many Sorc healers do you think actually post on this forum vs the number that actually play? You ever think that mostly bad players cry on forums? I do. Yes, other Sorcs made the adjustment instantly, not just me.

I find it humurous how you dismiss my post because it doesn't line up with your defeatist attitude.

Given the number of posts I've seen with thoughtful, obviously exerienced people posting explaining the issues and even doing the correct math, you're simply being arrogant and full of yourself and haven't the first clue what you're talking about.

You can think mostly bad players cry on forums all you want. Your gross overgeneralization just makes you look like a troll.

As for defeatist, hardly. Holding the opinion that the fun has been removed from playing the class and that we've been nerfed too hard has nothing to do with whether I have been able to max out what we're left with. I can make the best of it for sure, but that doesn't mean I have to like it or that I have to believe that everything is now just honky-dory and fine.

I stand by it. You played a group of terribad players who didn't have the brains to climb up your rectum every time you got out from behind the screen doors and showed your face. A fully BM/WH geared premade using vent facing another fully BM/WH geared premade using vent is going to result in a complete clusterfarck for healing sorcerers now, and I stand by tghat as well. PUGS DON'T COUNT. We're arguing for balance that translates to competetive ranked PvP, so that when it is released we can enjoy it too instead of getting sidelined or just having a frustrating experience when we do it. Your "oh joy, a PUG of freshies running around blowing their interrupts and CC on each other while I run amock with my heals" scenarios don't prove anything whatsoever.

• Replies 192
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Given the number of posts I've seen with thoughtful, obviously exerienced people posting explaining the issues and even doing the correct math, you're simply being arrogant and full of yourself and haven't the first clue what you're talking about.

You can think mostly bad players cry on forums all you want. Your gross overgeneralization just makes you look like a troll.

As for defeatist, hardly. Holding the opinion that the fun has been removed from playing the class and that we've been nerfed too hard has nothing to do with whether I have been able to max out what we're left with. I can make the best of it for sure, but that doesn't mean I have to like it or that I have to believe that everything is now just honky-dory and fine.

I stand by it. You played a group of terribad players who didn't have the brains to climb up your rectum every time you got out from behind the screen doors and showed your face. A fully BM/WH geared premade using vent facing another fully BM/WH geared premade using vent is going to result in a complete clusterfarck for healing sorcerers now, and I stand by tghat as well. PUGS DON'T COUNT. We're arguing for balance that translates to competetive ranked PvP, so that when it is released we can enjoy it too instead of getting sidelined or just having a frustrating experience when we do it. Your "oh joy, a PUG of freshies running around blowing their interrupts and CC on each other while I run amock with my heals" scenarios don't prove anything whatsoever.

We ran against premades as well, as I said, I had no problems healing. I played 15 games last night, I guess we were just that lucky group who got undergeared pugs EVERY time we played. You seriously need a reality check, haha.

Seriously, what is your major problem with healing right now? Is the longer DI and lack of a free consumption really causing you THAT large a problem? Seriously?

If those changes are causing you a significant problem, I'll just say this: You weren't utilizing the class properly pre-patch.

Edited by Kajimoto

I healed story mode EC 8man last night and healing was not hard at all. PVE wise, sorcs are fine, just make minor adjustments to keep your self topped off. Now we finish fights out of force instead of mostly full force, oh well, as long as you have enough force to keep healing until stuff dies, which I did no problem last night. We downed the first boss and only attempted the second a couple times just due to time limitations. I don't foresee any issues continuing to be a strong healer in PVE.

What was the other healer?

Nice retort. In other words: "I can't do it, so this guy must be full of it." Yes, every game played was against "freshies." :rolleyes:

If you can't handle the changes, reroll or quit. It's very simple. I'm having no problem healing with the changes, and I can barely feel the difference. I literally play exactly the same way as before, no problems.

I CAN do it, but it's beside the point. You clearly haven't the first clue what the real complaints and arguments are, no grasp of nuance, have paid zero attention to what anyone is really saying and are just here to insult people, fluff your ego with what you think is somehow effective braggadicio and, ultimately, try to derail the thread.

Your last sentence gives it away.

I CAN do it, but it's beside the point. You clearly haven't the first clue what the real complaints and arguments are, no grasp of nuance, have paid zero attention to what anyone is really saying and are just here to insult people, fluff your ego with what you think is somehow effective braggadicio and, ultimately, try to derail the thread.

Your last sentence gives it away.

Your only response is "no, it's broken."

What do you find so unbearable about the changes? Because all I see is pure whining.

A longer DI and a lack of a free HP consumption? Big deal. You do realize you have a total of 5 different heals right? 6 if you count the bubble.

Again, I see the nerf, but fail to see how it is class/game breaking with my experiences in PvP. Derailing the thread is not my intention, just adding perspective from somebody who is still successful healing as a sorc. If you don't believe me that I'm still doing fine, well, that is a personal problem.

Edited by Kajimoto

What do you find so unbearable about the changes? Because all I see is pure whining.

A longer DI and a lack of a free HP consumption? Big deal. You do realize you have a total of 5 different heals right? 6 if you count the bubble.

Again, I see the nerf, but fail to see how it is class/game breaking with my experiences in PvP.

Kaj- did you stick with the same healing build as you had pre-patch? I had some guildies that were pretty frustrated early on, and went to a more survivability spec (root on kb, some also took backlash) and felt it wasn't bad at all. I had tried both those specs pre-patch and found them fun, but haven't gotten a chance to test my Sorc yet in 1.2

Pulled a 400k in a Huttball last night, would pull more in a long voidstar for sure as there is less movement. All my other games seemed to have no issues as well, typically about 250k-300k but our games/fights don't generally last too long, enemies are dying. None of my DPS noticed a change, and still were healed fine according to them.

I think the problems people are experiencing with healing could be more user related than system related. Just saying.

Imo you're doing something wrong...

I hardly ever get the 75k healing medal in huttball, yet we win most games 6-0, and in some cases 5-1...

Pulled a 400k in a Huttball last night, would pull more in a long voidstar for sure as there is less movement. All my other games seemed to have no issues as well, typically about 250k-300k but our games/fights don't generally last too long, enemies are dying. None of my DPS noticed a change, and still were healed fine according to them.

I think the problems people are experiencing with healing could be more user related than system related. Just saying.

cool you padded meters I can easily do that post patch as well getting 700k no problem. Difference is that I can actually save nobody now and just pad aoe healing and bubble spam. Someone at under 70% health and taking damage? No point in healing them now since they will die before your heal actually finishes casting.

Not to mention sorc healing has only dropped by 10-20% and not by much much more because burst damage is through the roof - when everybody is dying in a couple gcd's throwing out that aoe heal or bubble pads the healing meters real nice yet merely delays the inevitable by 1 or 2 gcd's.

cool you padded meters I can easily do that post patch as well getting 700k no problem. Difference is that I can actually save nobody now and just pad aoe healing and bubble spam. Someone at under 70% health and taking damage? No point in healing them now since they will die before your heal actually finishes casting.

Our bubble and resurgence are instant, and our Innervate initial tick is instant. We have more than one heal.

Not to mention sorc healing has only dropped by 10-20% and not by much much more because burst damage is through the roof - when everybody is dying in a couple gcd's throwing out that aoe heal or bubble pads the healing meters real nice yet merely delays the inevitable by 1 or 2 gcd's.

The TTK is a bit high, but this is more of an overall issue than Sorc-specific. This thread is reserved for complaining about Sorc specific stuff.

Kaj- did you stick with the same healing build as you had pre-patch? I had some guildies that were pretty frustrated early on, and went to a more survivability spec (root on kb, some also took backlash) and felt it wasn't bad at all. I had tried both those specs pre-patch and found them fun, but haven't gotten a chance to test my Sorc yet in 1.2

Still a full 31 point corruption sorc.

The two biggest changes people have trouble adjusting to: DI and Consumption.

Let's start with consumption: First of all, if they were relying on the proc to use consumption pre-patch, they weren't fully utilizing the benefits of this spell. Even with the health loss, when used correctly consumption is still very valuable. In short, you need to be getting that AoE heal down as often as possible, as that is the best time to use your consumption to mitigate HP loss. Follow that up with a quick heal to top yourself and you're good to go. Of course, timing is everything, so picking and choosing your spots is critical as you don't want to be lowering your HP when you're being focused obviously. Basically, pre-patch and post-patch, I pop off consumption anytime I'm being AoE healed and not being completely focused by 3 or more players.

DI: Increased cast time is a drag, but it is not unworkable. First of all, pre-patch and post-patch really didn't change my thinking and use of the spell. It was always and still remains a juking spell for me. Confused? Let me explain. The big spell you want to get down is your AoE, period. I actually use DI to get people to burn their interupts so I can get the AoE down. If they don't interupt, you get your big heal off, and you still win. Basically, it's a win/win: They interupt, you drop the heal you really intended to. If they don't, you or your target gets topped off by DI. I use DI in an offensive manner to get them to burn their interupts/cc's. With an AoE down: Innervate, Bubble, Dark Heal, and Resurgance, you still have plenty of tools in the bag to heal with. Basically, if you were "relying" on DI pre-patch, that is part of your problem. I was always using it to juke people, and when I got it off, great: free 5k heal.

Also, I can't discount the contribution of a solid team around you. Proper guards and pulls makes the life of a healer much easier obviously. My build and play-style is completely geared around team utility.

*Retsam -- Seal Team Sith (The Fatman)*

PS -- You asked specifically about my spec change: I'm 31/7/3 still. The only change is due to the tree rework: I took the 20% speed increase after Static Barrier instead of the 20% snare on Affliction. Everything else is the same.

Edited by Kajimoto

Kajimoto - I totally agree with you! I've heard the term "main heal" more than anything since the patch and I am like "what the hell is a 'main heal'? We have a bunch - including a couple of HoTs which should cover the casting time of single target reactive heals. I'm not level 50 and haven't done a lot of PvP but I'm encouraged by what both you and DLove have said about sorc healing post patch 1.2. I know that since I'm a good healer (have a totally sweet level 90 warden on EQ2 lol) I can figure this thing out too! In most games like this healers run out of power until they get some kind of "never run out of power" buff (in EQ2 we could strip a power buff from an epic weapon) at a super high level. It takes a lot of work to get that buff, but it certainly doesn't work against a raid mob with a power drain, and so it doesn't make healers in that game totally OP. We also can't play as effectively against people using stealth becuase we lose the target and they do so much backstab dmg, we can't even get a heal off, especially if they start off with a powerful stun lol. We only get to level 50 in this game at the moment so having that kind of power that never runs out is kind of silly...I mean, what would we get at level 70, 80, or level 90 if not the ability to heal without much power cost? If sorcs seriously could heal a raid without ANY power loss, then they were OP. It's that simple. Even in EQ2 I encouraged my group/guild mates to run raids with heal pots, becuase of the inevitablity I would run out of power and not be able to heal them as effectively. I know SWTOR isn't EQ2 (or that "other" game), but healers are healers are healers lol. I've also appreciated both of your feedback about ability rotations and healing strategies. Thanks!

Still a full 31 point corruption sorc.

The two biggest changes people have trouble adjusting to: DI and Consumption.

Let's start with consumption: First of all, if they were relying on the proc to use consumption pre-patch, they weren't fully utilizing the benefits of this spell. Even with the health loss, when used correctly consumption is still very valuable. In short, you need to be getting that AoE heal down as often as possible, as that is the best time to use your consumption to mitigate HP loss. Follow that up with a quick heal to top yourself and you're good to go. Of course, timing is everything, so picking and choosing your spots is critical as you don't want to be lowering your HP when you're being focused obviously. Basically, pre-patch and post-patch, I pop off consumption anytime I'm being AoE healed and not being completely focused by 3 or more players.

You do realize you just used the force you got back from consumption to top your self off so in reality you spent 42 force to gain 10 force back since 8% consumption will give you 52 force at 650 force. maybe my math is wrong?

Edit on a side note: its hard to tell whos talking about what till you read all of the post. I really don't care about PvP, but do about PvE.

Edited by Dramion

Again, I see the nerf, but fail to see how it is class/game breaking with my experiences in PvP. Derailing the thread is not my intention, just adding perspective from somebody who is still successful healing as a sorc. If you don't believe me that I'm still doing fine, well, that is a personal problem.

NO it's not my only response, which just shows me you've paid attention to nothing I've said and certainly haven't paid attentino to the giant thread in which people, including myself, talked very deeply, accurate, and from experience about what these changes woudl do. They are being proven right to a great extent.

Derailing the thread IS your intention if all you do is claim everyone who has an issue is (a) not making cogent arguments and is just a crybaby and (b) is terribad, while you're just godly awesome, because you faced a bad PUG or padded your heals enough to get a semi-good number for raw heals...one that pales in comparison to what we could do pre-patch. There should be a middle-ground.

Tell us, in the one match in which you say you got a 400K (1 out of 15), do you know how much of that was healing yourself and how that ratio compares to pre-1.2? How many deaths? How many kills? How many medals? There's more to actual performance than some raw number that can easily be fudged, and those other aspects of the game and performance are taking a hit too because of this nerf .

You do realize you just used the force you got back from consumption to top your self off so in reality you spent 42 force to gain 10 force back since 8% consumption will give you 52 force at 650 force. maybe my math is wrong?

Edit on a side note: its hard to tell whos talking about what till you read all of the post. I really don't care about PvP, but do about PvE.

You don't need to spend all that force healing yourself because you should be using it while already in an AoE. I will use 2-3 consumptions and only need a single cast of innervate to be full HP. The key thing is to already have heals coming on you while you are using the ability. Like I said, it's a nerf, but not game/class breaking by any means. I was already using consumption without the proc before using this method pre-patch. It works. If you want to get really tricky since you're worried about math, you can also use your reusable medkit if you're concerned about saving all the force you gained. If it didn't work, I wouldn't be getting away with it like I do. And I do it all the time.

Yes, the nerfed the overall gain, but a gain is a gain. Honestly, the only difference between now and pre-patch for me is: When I fill up with Innervate, I don't get the free consumption at the end. (3rd or 4th cast at that point)

NO it's not my only response, which just shows me you've paid attention to nothing I've said and certainly haven't paid attentino to the giant thread in which people, including myself, talked very deeply, accurate, and from experience about what these changes woudl do. They are being proven right to a great extent.

Derailing the thread IS your intention if all you do is claim everyone who has an issue is (a) not making cogent arguments and is just a crybaby and (b) is terribad, while you're just godly awesome, because you faced a bad PUG or padded your heals enough to get a semi-good number for raw heals...one that pales in comparison to what we could do pre-patch. There should be a middle-ground.

Tell us, in the one match in which you say you got a 400K (1 out of 15), do you know how much of that was healing yourself and how that ratio compares to pre-1.2? How many deaths? How many kills? How many medals? There's more to actual performance than some raw number that can easily be fudged, and those other aspects of the game and performance are taking a hit too because of this nerf .

I had 11-13 medal. I only had 1-2 deaths, as did my teammates. This is a common theme as well. Sometimes when I feel like I "died a lot" during a warzone, I have 2-3 deaths. That is how used we are to dominating while not dying. If you want to get into those "other" metrics, they are off the charts. Our K/D ratios are insane, seriously. So what other performance metrics are there: my dps teammates topped the charts, my healing topped the charts, we had more kills than anybody, we had less deaths than anybody, all had a ton of medals, and we won the match. Rinse and repeat for each warzone. It's a common theme as I said.

Yes, I gave you one example out of 15 because that game was actually closer than the usual rollface fest we have. Rolling a team 6-0 doesn't exactly provide much healing data. We won 13 of the 15 games I healed last night, and there was never a warzone where we were struggling in regards to medals or kill/death ratio. PUGs losing objectives can't be helped at times, oh well. (Had 2 games where they would literally just follow us everywhere. Guess they needed medals)

I can say with complete honesty that I win 85-90% of the game I enter, and always have significant medals along with kills and few deaths. So you can continue to deny the ability of the class to perform all you want, but I am not having a problem with it personally. My group is a meat grinder: enemy players come in, our medals come out.

And I'll say it again: Competent teammates is key. I have guard, taunts, and pulls from my DPS to assist. PvP is a team environment after all.

Questioning the playing ability of people questioning the viability of the class changes is a fair argument, and has nothing to do with "derailing the thread." It is an honest question regarding the source of these opinions. What opinions do you want? Guys who are obviously struggling? Or from people who are successful with the class even with the post-patch changes? Should they just design the class for the bottom 50% talent of the player pool? You will always have a group of players whining and complaining due to their lack of success in game, it has been that way with every MMO. And a lot of people would much rather point the finger at the "system" instead of looking in the mirror and realizing that "Maybe I'm not as good as I thought and I need to improve."

I'm not saying I'm the greatest healer around either, but I make efforts to improve and adjust to the changing game environment, instead of whining and complaining about it. And my success in game is a result of making adjustments and trying to improve as a player. People should give it a try as well instead of asking for class changes to fix their lack of success. Of course, maybe my perspective is different being a former professional Quake 2 and Quake 3 player as I've been a part of a highly competitive online gaming scene and flourished in that environment before. That mountain wasn't an easy one to climb at all I might add. A lot harder of a game to dominate than an MMO, that is for sure.

*Retsam - Seal Team Sith (The Fatman)*

Edited by Kajimoto

The changes are bad for pvp. Yes, that aspect of the nerfs I'm forced to admit. Resurg>Dark heal isn't really that great for keeping someone being focused down.

PvE is another matter. Like I've said previously in this thread, it's a matter of adapting and adjusting playstyle. You have to be more mindful of resources, more careful of hazards and you must plan ahead.

It's only going to make you a better player.

I tried. It's just not fun now. It's downright stupid. I try not to get angry as it's only a game but holy **** how could they get this SO wrong!? I like to PvE, and PvP. PvE was not an option because the server I play on is low pop and you can never get a group. So that leaves us with PvP and we all know how that's goin post 1.2. I've tried every possible spec and it just doesn't work. It's no fun getting cc'd and steamrolled every 2 seconds, let alone the healing issues. So on that note. I say keep your free 30 days. I'm done. I wish you all the best, especially if you're stickin this one out. Maybe I'll see ya's at the next one.

Played three games today as 22.19.0 (brand new build i've never played) and even though I am still very new at it I was effective as I usually am. Went 3-0. Still having fun. A lot of it is knowing when to use your abilities. Some people just don't have the correct sequence and timing of moves, and this will always result in frustration and for those weak-minded enough, eventually results in unsubbing or re-rolling.

My advice to people like the guy above me is don't give up. Just work on becoming better and you will see great improvement and more enjoyment will come to you from playing your sorcerer.

Edited by Hairyzac

Played three games today as 22.19.0 (brand new build i've never played) and even though I am still very new at it I was effective as I usually am. Went 3-0. Still having fun. A lot of it is knowing when to use your abilities. Some people just don't have the correct sequence and timing of moves, and this will always result in frustration and for those weak-minded enough, eventually results in unsubbing or re-rolling.

My advice to people like the guy above me is don't give up. Just work on becoming better and you will see great improvement and more enjoyment will come to you from playing your sorcerer.

I won't get into name calling but to call someone weak-minded for unsubbing or re-rolling is just silly. Your post sums it up as well as mine. "You're still having fun", hooray for you...enjoy the game, keep playing. I however am not, and consider it 'weak-minded' to pay for something that you don't enjoy because other people say that eventually with hard work and practice I may find enjoyment. That is until they change things again.

I'm not trying to make this an unsub post or even a 'fix it or im leaving post'. It is what it and it's not for me. As it would seem, it's not for a lot of people...that doesn't make them weak minded. Those were my thoughts, in a thread that was asking for them. Take em for what it's worth.

Ok after more playing around with it revivification is essential for pvp.

And for dealing with 3 ppl I can tolerate it, but if its 2 sentinel/marauders i'm dead, if its a WH / BM geared Maruader I am dead, or even a Jugg. My guildies can tear me apart.

But its another story for my Operative.

However, I managed to pull out a 450k heal somehow, while being hit for 300k with 10 deaths.

Morever, seems that for my big heals. I cant heal as much as my operative, I can pull out a 5k+ heals with my OPerative, but my Big heal highest was 4.6k, with stim adrenal I can pull in 5k. I didnt need to do it with my operative too.

So yea kinda strange.

And the 20% speed boost with shield or the 20% speed debuff with affliction doesnt seem to do much if at all.

I won't get into name calling but to call someone weak-minded for unsubbing or re-rolling is just silly. Your post sums it up as well as mine. "You're still having fun", hooray for you...enjoy the game, keep playing. I however am not, and consider it 'weak-minded' to pay for something that you don't enjoy because other people say that eventually with hard work and practice I may find enjoyment. That is until they change things again.

I'm not trying to make this an unsub post or even a 'fix it or im leaving post'. It is what it and it's not for me. As it would seem, it's not for a lot of people...that doesn't make them weak minded. Those were my thoughts, in a thread that was asking for them. Take em for what it's worth.

If you just give up on your class the day of the new patch, your mind is weak. You do not wish to use it to find new and better ways to play your class and work around the changes. It is not meant to offend, just the truth. Things may not be as easy as they were. This is not necessarily a bad thing. Damage in PvP does need to be toned down, this we all seem to agree upon. I'm sure that will be addressed by the designers soon.

If you just give up on your class the day of the new patch, your mind is weak. You do not wish to use it to find new and better ways to play your class and work around the changes. It is not meant to offend, just the truth. Things may not be as easy as they were. This is not necessarily a bad thing. Damage in PvP does need to be toned down, this we all seem to agree upon. I'm sure that will be addressed by the designers soon.

You're absolutely right. When I first heard of the nerfs headed my way, I lost heart for a while. But I came around and made a work around for my build that still worked really well pre 1.2. It was suppose to continue to work well post 1.2 as the spec didn't change even with the reconfiguring BW did. But the numbers did, and the numbers killed us.

It's not just the healer sorcs/sages that got hit. It's the DPS as well. I had to quit PVP altogether for the time being. We just can't keep up anymore. We're the squishiest class and can't even do decent damage or heal anymore. Our knockback is weak, our CC's seem to max out resolve really fast, and our resolve doesn't even have time to max before we're dead. I'm nothing more than cannon fodder. I'm lucky to break 100k dmg and 10 kills. Why, BW? Why? :(

I hadn't read these forums or gone into the PTS prior to 1.2, so I had no idea what was coming until I logged in yesterday. (beyond the general chatter about 1.2)

I was completely shocked by the changes and didn't understand them. Came to forums, did some reason and gave it a shot.

I played several WZ's yesterday and today and did some minor PvE and yes, ultimately, I was able to "adapt". Still managed to top the heal charts in most of my pug groups (when there wasn't an OP healer) and won most of the matches with premades... BUT, the class just isn't fun to play anymore and I don't feel like taking the time to level and alt up to 50.

Where I truly felt this went wrong is that they could have accomplished their same goals without breaking the mechanics of the class. You want to make consumption more difficult to use and reduce healing output? Why not just reduce the crit chance on Innervate? This makes a health free consumption rarer, but still achievable. Rather than nearly doubling the cast time on a FB DI to make it unusable in almost any PvP or boss situation, just LOWER the output by a flat %. You will do a 3K heal instead of a 4.5K heal. You've accomplished the same goal, but without breaking the class mechanics.

No matter how many posts I read from the devs, I can't figure out why they chose this path, instead of a much simpler and less drastic way of accomplishing their desired goals. They turned a fun to play class, into a frustratingly boring class, by taking some of the fun abilities off the table and reducing you to 1 or 2 effective keys to press.

Yes, adapting is easy.. but just because you CAN do something, doesn't mean it is fun to do it.

I have a couple of weeks before my prepaid time runs out. Maybe they will take steps to mitigate the damage. I may start an OP healer and see if that plays better than the clunky sorc healer, but I doubt I have the time/patience to get back to 50 before the clock runs out.

I played several WZ's yesterday and today and did some minor PvE and yes, ultimately, I was able to "adapt". Still managed to top the heal charts in most of my pug groups (when there wasn't an OP healer) and won most of the matches with premades... BUT, the class just isn't fun to play anymore and I don't feel like taking the time to level and alt up to 50.

You top healing and won most matches sounds like everything you want in a pvp match as a healer. The new healing style is going to become easier over time we talking healing one way for months to healing one way for 2 days.

I think the day one Sorc/Sage are just having growing pains with leaning on the 1.5 cast big heal too much, as someone that's starting new as a Sorc with no perceived notions on what heals to use I have not had any problems yet still not level cap so jury out on 50 and if I can't heal on it I'll eat crow.

Also each person with a 50 got a free month so you got more time to see how the Sorc/Sage changes pan out