Anyone still going to play focus guardian anymore?

FalmeseReb

Focus guardian is so much worse now... full relic +adrenal sweep barely hits for 4200. 9s->12s CD on Blade storm and force sweep are painful... No real added anything. This new "survivability" skill they added sucks. Pvp is so much more awkward with the 12s CD on sweep... Feels bad to get nerfed =/

• Replies 64
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Focus guardian is so much worse now... full relic +adrenal sweep barely hits for 4200. 9s->12s CD on Blade storm and force sweep are painful... No real added anything. This new "survivability" skill they added sucks. Pvp is so much more awkward with the 12s CD on sweep... Feels bad to get nerfed =/

Yeah, I concur,

I can live with the 12 sek. CD on Blade Storm but on Sweep, it just sucks. The instant 4 Singularity are nice but don't really off-set the higher CD in any way.

I've actually opted the play without Shii-Sho form for now as it really doesn't add much without Force Alacrity. It also saves you a bunch of talent points.

It's a shame the spec was gutted in such a fashion. It was really the only thing I enjoyed about Guardians.

And Focused Defense.....yeah way too expensive to be of any real value.

While nerfing Sweep's damage was arguably needed, the loss of Zephyr is what really hurts.

And for what it's worth that new Zephyrean Slash is quite a ghetto skill. Half of the time you are getting the refund, the other half you don't. They should have made it to reduce Slash's focus cost by one permanently while in Shii-Cho, so you could actually rely on it when it comes to focus management. But a random proc is just bad.

Edited by nanohana

unless sweeps damage got reduced by 50% you should be hitting for way more

Focus is definitely worse, but I think even Vigilance is worse now due to the change in Expertise- we literally almost die like Scoundrels/Operatives, and are nowhere near what we were before the patch. Im dying at least twice as much now- in some matches 3x as much as I did before, so its had a pretty significant impact on my damage.

Guarding someone now, especially with my updated BM heavy armor gear giving me 16k HP, its basically asking for a quick death. Very, very disappointing overall for 1.2.

I dont know why, but I seriously expected more from Bioware given the extraordinary amount of time they had on this patch. But hey- enjoy that cool legacy system guys. :rolleyes:

Edited by Valant

Focus is definitely worse, but I think even Vigilance is worse now due to the change in Expertise- we literally almost die like Scoundrels/Operatives, and are nowhere near what we were before the patch. Im dying at least twice as much now- in some matches 3x as much as I did before, so its had a pretty significant impact on my damage.

Guarding someone now, especially with my updated BM heavy armor gear giving me 16k HP, its basically asking for a quick death. Very, very disappointing overall for 1.2.

I dont know why, but I seriously expected more from Bioware given the extraordinary amount of time they had on this patch. But hey- enjoy that cool legacy system guys. :rolleyes:

What???? I am vigilance and after the update I am just WRECKING kids. sundering throw 2 stacks armor down, jump, sundering strike, plasma brand, blade storm, overhead slash, crit dispatch dead EVERY time now. 1 rotation. Not sure what you are talking about.

Toss a master strike in for good measure!

Everyone is affected by the redesign of expertise and nerf to healing; in fact even in Soresu I can take out competent healers now - which was impossible before. Everyone goes down so much faster. While I am personally not a fan of this development, some people might welcome it.

As to Focus in specific, after playing warzones for a few hours I can say that Focus' overall performance has dropped quite a bit.

I noticed quite a decrease in Sweep's damage. While in theory it should be roughly the same as before (nerf to Swelling Winds on the one hand and buff to damage portion of expertise on the other), practical results show differently. Depending on opponent's armor class, sunders, my own buffs, adrenals etc. I am critting for roughly 1k less per Sweep. These numbers are still high enough though, there is nothing to complain.

Having a 12sec CD on Blade Storm and Sweep however is something that bothers me so much more. With my hard hitters on CD all the time I am forced to Slash much more often than I used to.

The increased CD on Statis on the other hand doesn't bother me at all. In fact thanks to Inner Focus I can use Statis just for the CC/interrupt now, rather than a Singularity builder, which is a good thing.

Overall I wouldn't say Focus is crap now, but it definitely took some hits and feels so much less fluent without Zephyr.

What???? I am vigilance and after the update I am just WRECKING kids. sundering throw 2 stacks armor down, jump, sundering strike, plasma brand, blade storm, overhead slash, crit dispatch dead EVERY time now. 1 rotation. Not sure what you are talking about.

Toss a master strike in for good measure!

You might want to start using Overhead Slash before Blade Storm.

So vigilance is the new best DPS guardian spec now?

R.I.P. Focus guardians..

NO! No no no! None of that! I don't want all you former Focus Bombers comin' over to my skill tree! I played Vigilance BEFORE it was cool and I made it work dammit! Now people are going to accuse me of being a "power gamer" and "FOTM!" No! Stay in your skill tree!! STAY!

:D

I specced Vigilance as soon as I logged in.

It isn't so much that I'd been nerfed, I probably needed that.

It's the fact that going over rotations and theorycrafting convinced me that Focus was a mess.

Pre-patch:

-2 highest output abilities are on 9sec CD. That's your cycle, 6 GCD.

-3rd highest output and key proc generator, 18sec CD. Every other cycle.

-key debuff and focus generator, 4.5sec CD. 1-2 of them per cycle, on 1st and/or 4th GCD.

Everything else revolved around that. Master the rhythm and pump out ridiculous dmg.

But now:

-2 highest output abilities, 12sec CD. I guess that's your cycle.

-3rd highest output ability and key proc generator... every 1.5 cycles??

-key debuff/focus generator to be used 2.66ish times per cycle???

-oh, and I no longer get Sundering Throw.

Look, something's gonna get inefficient no matter how I try to optimize this. You'll underutilize something important, or worse, overutilize something terrible (like Slash).

Yeah, thankee but no thankee. So now I'm Vigilance, rolling in Shien. ST damage is about where it was pre-patch. AOE is way, way less. But I can live with that.

I don't think he knows that plasma brand activates that as well. Only reason I do it that way is to keep the buff up longer in case I need to dispatch twice.

You are right and I have to apologize.

While I am aware of Force Rush affecting Plasma Brand as well, I am just too used to playing hybrids, where Overhead Slash comes before Blade Storm for obvious reasons, so I didn't think of this when posting.

Focus is pretty much completely dead.

1. 12s cd on our two biggest attacks is noticeable. I didn't think it would matter that much, but trying it out it matters. Those 3 extra seconds is the difference between killing that healer off before he gets his heal off in time.

2. Slash still sucks. You can spend 6+ points and it still sucks. It's also got a delay before dealing it's damage and that has always annoyed me about slash.

3. All our BM gear has tons of accuracy on it. In full BM gear I have 11% accuracy. I can't buy other set pieces and swap mods (like I did pre 1.2)because all the other classes' have the same amount of acc too. Accuracy is utterly worthless to a focus guardian since most of our dam is force which doesn't need acc. Vig spec can actually make use of all that acc since vig dps is mostly white damage. It's not great for vig, but it's extremely worthless for focus.

4. Survivability is still extremely ****** since our new talent focused defense is worthless unless you spec into commanding awe.

5. I totally thought the change to gravity (also reduce cost of FE) was awesome. Then I realized, they upped FE's cost to 4. Boo.

Edited by Smashbrother

I hit over 4000 on level 37 with NO relic or adrenal...

My master strike is INSANE, ticks faster then before and hits way harder... 90% of the time it's 2k,2k,3.2k

I'm confused, which part of sweeps damage got reduced and why are you ignoring that expertise received a large damage boost?

Did you not read the patch notes? :confused:

So vigilance is the new best DPS guardian spec now?

R.I.P. Focus guardians..

Vigilance was always likely to be the more popular rated spec, but with the 1.2 nerfs to Focus even without rated in Vigilance is definitely the new PvP cookie cutter spec.

It's not just the direct nerfs to focus, it's the whole flow of the spec now, it just doesn't work well.

I'd not be surprised to see Vigilance Guardians make up a similar proportion of 1.2 Guardians as Watchman Sentinels made up pre-1.2 Guardians.

Focus is pretty much completely dead.

I'd put money on in a few months, people still using Focus and still doing fine after adapting. This forum will still be full of "the sky has fallen, this is useless" posts though.

Did you not read the patch notes? :confused:

Yes and did you also not notice the huge boost to expertise damage with lower expertise mitigation and healing boosts?

Edited by CapuchinSeven

Yes and did you also not notice the huge boost to expertise damage with lower expertise mitigation and healing boosts?

1. That's not Smash specific
  2. It's still hitting for less anyway - never mind hitting 3 seconds slower

So I don't see your point really. :confused: