Combat Log Parser Round-Up & Instructions

Zoopercat

So a fellow guildie had his subscription banned for a week for using Mox Parser. Could a Bioware person explain this please? There are numerous threads about data parsers, and the combat logs were built intentionally to be parsed obviously. The only hint of a reply he got was that the program was accessing internal memory instead of the file.

Accessing the memory of the game, and not reading the combat log file, sound to me like a breach of EULA. I havn't read the EULA but thats my gut feeling.

• Replies 146
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Accessing the memory of the game, and not reading the combat log file, sound to me like a breach of EULA. I havn't read the EULA but thats my gut feeling.

but with so many parsers available..... how is someone supposed to know which will get them banned? Bioware needs to publish a list of approved or "banned" ones before just banning accounts. It's not like users know what an application is doing behind the scenes.

Edit: and ... is Mox accessing memory? cause it asks for the file path to the combat log...

Edited by havadroid

RE: Mox raid parser. Ginnai is very responsive, you should send him a message and ask if he accesses memory. Let's say he isn't accessing memory (because as far as I know, he doesn't)... could this guy have an unrelated virus on his computer that is trying to gather his login information?

Did Bioware call out that it was the Mox Parser? If not, I would hold of making that assumption until someone knows the final answer. I'd hate to see people stop using Mox when it has nothing to do with his raid meter!

RE: Mox raid parser. Ginnai is very responsive, you should send him a message and ask if he accesses memory. Let's say he isn't accessing memory (because as far as I know, he doesn't)... could this guy have an unrelated virus on his computer that is trying to gather his login information?

Did Bioware call out that it was the Mox Parser? If not, I would hold of making that assumption until someone knows the final answer. I'd hate to see people stop using Mox when it has nothing to do with his raid meter!

Agreed. I don't get it. Someone's got their **** really confused. :confused:

So a fellow guildie had his subscription banned for a week for using Mox Parser. ... The only hint of a reply he got was that the program was accessing internal memory instead of the file.

This is bulls..t. If you think this could really be the case, he should post the official BioWare explanation on the website so that it could be scrutinized and legitimately disproved. I'm gonna bet MY subscription that it has nothing to do with the parsers, so please stop throwing it into the fan.

This has nothing to do with nothing but I would like to share the best feeling as an developer:

I was troubled that my parser was so got damn slow to parse the uploaded logs. About all other parsers took a few seconds while mine could take about a minute or two.

The best feeling, for me, as a developer, is when you find the problem SQL, add one simple index to the database and you tune the whole thing to take a fraction of the time. Needless to say I found the problem and now my parser is not 100 times slower then all the others.

Adding one simple index to fix a slow sql and get 99.9% better performace is to me the best feeling as a developer. But that might be because I am a DBA that does performance tuning for a living :)

Edited by heltidsluffare

Grats on the speed, it is definitely fun to be able to see those improvements. I don't know how many times we've white boarded about database indexing to make sure AMR is fast. I've learned more about indexing than I ever thought I would :)

This has nothing to do with nothing but I would like to share the best feeling as an developer:

I was troubled that my parser was so got damn slow to parse the uploaded logs. About all other parsers took a few seconds while mine could take about a minute or two.

The best feeling, for me, as a developer, is when you find the problem SQL, add one simple index to the database and you tune the whole thing to take a fraction of the time. Needless to say I found the problem and now my parser is not 100 times slower then all the others.

Adding one simple index to fix a slow sql and get 99.9% better performace is to me the best feeling as a developer. But that might be because I am a DBA that does performance tuning for a living :)

Ya, I learned a lot about indexing when I was creating a "Related Articles" system on another website I develop. It's amazing what you can do with proper indexing in a database :)

I've implemented in my parser filters for explore logs using those ids, so now you could see hard mode logs, or 16 men logs, or per boss.

I've update the spreadsheet since some boss where wrong.

I updated the OP to include DPS Meter by Tenacity ( a web-based combat log parser, not to be confused with live dps meters like MOX).

I also updated TorTools: logs are now shareable, and mergable! Anyone who was experiencing site slowness or issues uploading the logs: try the site again. The developer moved servers on 4/28 to correct those issues.

Ask Mr. Robot also has an update: the merging logic is even more automatic. You can now also delete logs, or kick logs out of a merged group. A new stat was added in: Active Time (the time you were alive during the fight.). And finally, we have a short,

Could you please add my real-time parser to the list? I just released the beta download about 10 minutes ago on this page:

http://swtorcombatparser.com/download

The application graphs data for everyone that is connected to the same room, broadcasting it in real time. No waiting until after the raid, no going to a webpage to view results - it all happens in front of you, it has your AND everyone else's data, and you don't have to go uploading zip files anywhere like on my old solution (NotTheGuild.com) ;)

You can create your own room and invite people with the password, similarly to Ventrilo or a chat client. Anyone in the room will see your data as it gets graphed, and vice versa. Once connected, it should feel pretty familiar if you've ever used Recount.

Cheers, and enjoy. Please leave feedback in the in-game contact box (on the In-game controls tab) or on the Contact tab of the website.

Cym, I'll get it added tomorrow. I have a few updates to make for other parsers as well. I'm excited to check out your live meter :) Do you have some nice screenshots of a group using it? That's the one thing I'll be missing when I test it, I won't have a big group to get a good screenshot.

Could you please add my real-time parser to the list?

After it crashed 5 times, I decided I'd rather wait until it becomes stable. Windows 7 64-bit, crashes if I try to change a room or create a new one.

UPD: On a second thought, it crashes as well if I try to change between full-view and game view, resize the window or simply mouse-over. Plus it doesn't show any DPS or HPS information WHATSOEVER. Good luck in fixing all this mess.

Edited by Feoktist

After it crashed 5 times, I decided I'd rather wait until it becomes stable. Windows 7 64-bit, crashes if I try to change a room or create a new one.

Thanks for testing it out.

It is setup for automatic updates, so if you want to try it out over the next few days it will patch as soon as you open the program. Let me know how it goes for you if you decide to do so. I am adding an exception handler that will allow me to see the exact exceptions when these occur so that I can front-load a lot of these errors and squash the bugs so we can get moving on to cooler stuff. It seems that common programs may be causing issues with the connection to the server. I am changing the setup installer to work better with 64-bit operating systems, and it'll be tailored to windows versions after XP (it'll still work on XP as well) - we noticed an issue on Windows 8, but yours is the first case of Win7 64-bit having the issues, so I think it's some sort of application conflict and possibly a .NET prereq that I need to determine and validate during install that you have.

Cym, I'll get it added tomorrow. I have a few updates to make for other parsers as well. I'm excited to check out your live meter :) Do you have some nice screenshots of a group using it? That's the one thing I'll be missing when I test it, I won't have a big group to get a good screenshot.

Thanks! I am working on making a video, and got some raw footage tonight. Need to make one with a whole group, as I'm not very satisfied with this footage. I will get some screeners for you in the next couple days.

Any luck taking a look at my parser? There were a few critical issues that have been resolved. Hopefully it is now stable. You can look into the blog on my site for more info on what's to come soon.

Just for the record, the situation didn't change a bit with Windows 7 64-bit. It would just crash randomly after loading the list of "rooms".