Quarterly Producer Letter for Q2 2024 ×

Inquisitors/Consulars... we all OK being the only pair to lose our level 46 ability?

Felioats

What would you put in its place? We might not replace it with anything (or at least not any time soon), but I'd still like to hear suggestions.

I think this would be a great opportunity to add a lightsaber-based ability. I've been very vocal that I don't think the Sage and Sorcerer classes feel right using lightsabers as only stat sticks.

They can and should be be ranged caster classes, certainly, but having a lightsaber you don't use in any way is like keeping a ferrari in the garage or a really hot wife in another bedroom.

Since a base class ability was removed, I realize Shadows/Assassins would get this ability as well. I believe a complaint they've had is no quick way to engage enemies, the way the Knight and Warrior can with their leap attacks and Troopers and Bounty Hunters can with their guns.

A ranged saber attack that could be used as a pulling ability would solve perceived shortcomings in both classes. It could be relatively strong -- strong enough to have a cooldown of some kind anyway, even if it's only a minute. The abilities that were removed certainly were, though they were companion gated as well.

I just mean if it's on a CD, we wouldn't suddenly see Sages flinging sabers all over the place, and a CD means it's strong enough to slake my thirst for having a useful lightsaber, even if only once in awhile.

Shadows/Assassins, meanwhile, would get an attack with some distance to it they can use for pulling. They wouldn't suddenly become ranged casters, either.

Visually, a saber throw would be ideal, though I understand the Knight and Warrior currently have this. If not that, perhaps pointing the saber at an enemy and projecting a focused beam of light at the enemy that is the color of your saber. Sort of like a blast from a Reaper in a Mass Effect cutscene -- a satisfying torrent of energy.

Functionally, perhaps it would deal some damage while also providing a short-term buff to the player? A little something to help gain agro in the first 20 seconds of battle, for example. Siphoning energy in that way would make sense with the beam attack.

With a throw, which I've said is my preferred option, a short-term debuff makes more sense. Perhaps something that lowers defense or damage output. Damage output, probably, as it fits better with the healing and tanking roles.

Though as a Sage desperately wanting my saber to be used once in awhile, what I really want is an impressive damage ability to make the weapon shine. I have doubts we'll see that, though, as high-damage, long-cooldown abilities seem to have been phased out of these games because of PvP. But that would be my dream.

• Replies 107
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

What would you put in its place? We might not replace it with anything (or at least not any time soon), but I'd still like to hear suggestions.

Healers really need some kind of defensive spell, or just give us back the ability to reduce the cast time on our big heal now and then.

A free-to-cast small HoT Ranged Heal/DPS. Something akin to diagnostic scan. Sorc/Sages are arguably the most resource-dependent class in the game and we're the only ones who have no viable options when we run dry.

At least the "free" moves for BH/Trooper/IA/Smug are based on their stats - a sorc/sage is stuck with saber strike and doesn't even have the STR to back that move up, much less the armor to warrant closing the melee range.

Edited by Akiva_IC

Really simple, something that costs no force and can be used as an auto attack/heal from range (ala hammer shot) so that heal sages who run low on force (or indeed dps sages) can do *something* as we are the only advanced class missing an appropriate 0 resource ability.

I can't say I care if it's gone (I still have it anyway), it's pretty damn useless considering you need a companion to use it, and that means solo play, and solo content very rarely requires long cooldown abilities like this. The same goes for Heroic moment and all the new legacy abilities. Nifty, but not realistically useful implemented this way.

If they were going to replace it with something on the consular, I would ask for a copy of Unity that doesn't require a companion. Have it do the same thing, but without the companion requirement. Let it just be a nice defensive long cooldown that negates 50% of damage for a short period. As a Shadow tank, after the horrible beatings I took today in the new content, I could really use something like that.

Don't know what Sages have story wise, but Sorcerers gain a title "Forcewalker". It would have been cool to have actually gain an ability to go with that title.

I would have loved something that would have allowed me to gain power from those that I killed. Much like how the "Forcewalking" worked.

I think this would be a great opportunity to add a lightsaber-based ability. I've been very vocal that I don't think the Sage and Sorcerer classes feel right using lightsabers as only stat sticks.

They can and should be be ranged caster classes, certainly, but having a lightsaber you don't use in any way is like keeping a ferrari in the garage or a really hot wife in another bedroom.

Since a base class ability was removed, I realize Shadows/Assassins would get this ability as well. I believe a complaint they've had is no quick way to engage enemies, the way the Knight and Warrior can with their leap attacks and Troopers and Bounty Hunters can with their guns.

A ranged saber attack that could be used as a pulling ability would solve perceived shortcomings in both classes. It could be relatively strong -- strong enough to have a cooldown of some kind anyway, even if it's only a minute. The abilities that were removed certainly were, though they were companion gated as well.

I just mean if it's on a CD, we wouldn't suddenly see Sages flinging sabers all over the place, and a CD means it's strong enough to slake my thirst for having a useful lightsaber, even if only once in awhile.

Shadows/Assassins, meanwhile, would get an attack with some distance to it they can use for pulling. They wouldn't suddenly become ranged casters, either.

Visually, a saber throw would be ideal, though I understand the Knight and Warrior currently have this. If not that, perhaps pointing the saber at an enemy and projecting a focused beam of light at the enemy that is the color of your saber. Sort of like a blast from a Reaper in a Mass Effect cutscene -- a satisfying torrent of energy.

Functionally, perhaps it would deal some damage while also providing a short-term buff to the player? A little something to help gain agro in the first 20 seconds of battle, for example. Siphoning energy in that way would make sense with the beam attack.

With a throw, which I've said is my preferred option, a short-term debuff makes more sense. Perhaps something that lowers defense or damage output. Damage output, probably, as it fits better with the healing and tanking roles.

Though as a Sage desperately wanting my saber to be used once in awhile, what I really want is an impressive damage ability to make the weapon shine. I have doubts we'll see that, though, as high-damage, long-cooldown abilities seem to have been phased out of these games because of PvP. But that would be my dream.

Dear god no, shadows and assassins do not need another pull (or ANY buff at all). Also, remember sage/sorc lightsaber damage does not scale with willpower and is not going to so adding in a saber attack is completely pointless.

I would replace it with a skill that partly removed the health penalty from Consumption.

or

A skill that reduced the cast time of a single target heal by say 0.5 to 1 second.

;)

In all honesty, I never used the skill, possibly a skill to increase companion defence for 20 seconds or something non game breaking but useful in PvE.

... Which would be useless for a Shadow. Unity is a Consular ability, not a sage ability. Whatever the replacement it should be useful for both AC's

It was a good defensive cooldown as I was leveling those last few planets, will be sad to see it gone.

Edited by Shardie

Answer: As a Sage, I used Unity at least three times total. And I've only use Noble Sacrifice once in PvP successfully (ie. I wasn't killed shortly after).

Assessment: So yeah they're not very helpful.

Statement: As far as something to replace them with, I don't have any idea. One to replenish half or one quarter of your Force is helpful but at a cost of some sort.

Query: What about leaving Noble Sacrifice in, but instead of it taking the health immediately, it takes some over time? And you have a brief debuff preventing players from healing themselves immediately after. It should also be allowed to stack twice, both the buff and debuff (the debuff time increases with each use along with the amount of health lost). The only difference is that you get less Force the second time.

Explanation: This way, you don't loose health immediately and chance to live longer if attacked. And you can't abuse it by healing yourself with the one that heals you over time (like the one that grants conveyance for Sages) so that you never loose health. The change in how much Force you get the second time will make it so that players can't just use it twice, wait for the timer to stop, and then heal themselves.

Query: Make sense?

They have completely ruined the sorcerer healer.... Totally useles class now can even keep your teammates alive in a regular HM much less in any WZ's.... Great patch the weakest class has been nerfed, great thinking!!!!! The only power healers have is to heal and now you have taken it away from them!!!! Not to mention the heals are all bugged now!!!! So why am I going to continue my subscription to a worthless game??? even if I level another class to 50 they wont be able to get healed because no one will want to have to be the healers now because it is almost impossible to heal!!!!! I am beyond outraged:mad:

I agree that Inquisitor/Consular healers are useless now.

Every warzone that I went into tonight I got pawned. I can not out heal the DPS that I am taking. To make it worse I get stunned by marauders (thanks for buffing them) 4 times in a row making healing impossible. The only chance I have is to stand in a corner in a salvation pool and hit noble sac then force armor my target and spam rejuv and deliverance over and over again. If I am seen it is instant death. Also, why did I get a DMG boost and not a healing boost for pvp? The force degen that you get from noble sacrifice always gets applied even after casting healing trance and trying to get the resplendence buff (this is useless now). Don't even let me get started on the rejuv buff that benelovance is supposed to get, even with a "60% boost" it still is a horrible heal. Even rotating rejuv benevolence and deliverance can't keep one of the best tanks alive. To make sure it wasn't me I spoke to 5 other sage healers from other guilds and they are having the same problem. A couple of them even don't want to play the class anymore as a healer.

What gives?

Edited by DimmaktheGreat

Super cool you're even asking this question.

Hah - um, hmm. I thought Unity was a neat situational survivability cooldown. But given that we're going to be able to acquire it anyway..

What to put in it's place, hm.

Seriously, what about something fluffy, just for fun?

Give us something like a wow priest's mind vision. Call it attunement or (sith) insidious vision.

That or a one-off full companion heal ;).

Edit : just to respond to the person above complaining about noble sacrifice. It's a freaking cool idea; single-handledly incorporates some warlock into the jedi sage. But I'd say the cost/benefit is a biiit off, that's my only complaint. After healing yourself of the damage, the amount of force you get back in total is really negligable.

Edited by Lheim

Hm.

I've Sacrificed and then Sith-racial Punished Khem Val for hours on end whenever he's disapproved of my light-side decisions.

He truly loves it.

Well, big guy, looks like 1.2 puts an end to all that!

Damn you, BioWare!

(I, for one, am OK. It's the unfortunate legacy of MMO forums past that people feel the need to fight tooth and nail for every perceived bit of "unfairness" they see coming down the pipe. Inq/Con are still plenty strong.)

That is funny.

Since I've never used it ever, but tend to shock people a lot - let's just trade it for a fix to the broken Assassin's Training.

Deal?

Hm.

I've Sacrificed and then Sith-racial Punished Khem Val for hours on end whenever he's disapproved of my light-side decisions.

He truly loves it.

Well, big guy, looks like 1.2 puts an end to all that!

Damn you, BioWare!

(I, for one, am OK. It's the unfortunate legacy of MMO forums past that people feel the need to fight tooth and nail for every perceived bit of "unfairness" they see coming down the pipe. Inq/Con are still plenty strong.)

lol @ ^. I've only used it for pretty much the same thing, like when Talos says "I'm an archaeologist, not a fighta." BLAM! I let im have it.

As a Powertech Tank, I am happy for Unity. It stacks with my 25% damage reduction cooldown and will be invaluable when we 3-man hard modes.

I can't imagine I'd have used it all that much on my Consular and I have it unlocked anyways so he's got it if he needs it (and before I even got a chance to unlock it in the talent tree).

I'm afraid to suggest something because of some malformed idea and horrible implementation is going to give us something like Strike and Project where we can't get a true mirror.

Fix the stuff that's already broken before breaking new stuff.

* I used Unity when duo'ing H4s with Qyzen tanking

Important Information

We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue.