The Best View in SWTOR contest has returned! ×

Jugg tank stat question

Squiress

Got my Jugg up to 30 and have been upgrading gear as I get the money off of the GTN. I found myself looking at several shields with various stats and couldn't decide. I was wondering what should be considered the most important of the following stats:

defense rating

absorption

shield rating

accuracy rating

critical rating

OMG...

First of all, its not a simple matter of one stat being better than the other.

You need a certain balance between all 3 tank stats (defense, shield and absorb) and while there may be priority order, each of the 3 is only worth increasing up to a certain point after which diminishing returns kicks in and it would better to go for the other.

And critical rating is a dps stat, not a tank stat.

You may find it in some random world drop green shields that have totally random stats, but those are mostly crap anyway.

OMG...

First of all, its not a simple matter of one stat being better than the other.

You need a certain balance between all 3 tank stats (defense, shield and absorb) and while there may be priority order, each of the 3 is only worth increasing up to a certain point after which diminishing returns kicks in and it would better to go for the other.

And critical rating is a dps stat, not a tank stat.

You may find it in some random world drop green shields that have totally random stats, but those are mostly crap anyway.

You bring up a good point. the order of therons priorities is correct...but there is always a balance. possibly better to have a lvl 50 tank with a solid gearset (doesn't need to be top, but where you'd expect someone to be raiding with ) to post their percentages, and the OP can go with that.

OP - the key with that prio list is that ultimately you want a balance of the stats. here's what they do (and plz correct me if im wrong guys):

1 - defense. base stat, increases your normal mitigations (dodge, parry, etc)

2 - shield chance - directly increases your chance to shield an attack. this is also impacted by talents in the immortal tree

3 - Absorbtion - once you successfully shield, this stat is how much damage is reduced BY : example = your absorb is 30%, a 100 damage attack is reduced to 70

4 - Accuracy - your ability to hit (dur). not "necessarily" a tank stat, but missing with your high threat attack can be fatal. so it needs to be on the list

5 - Crit rating - reflectively impacts your threat/damage output, etc. this is the only one id question. Not because I am teh expert, but because crit is nominally low on tanking gear to begin with. It really is a choice between crit or power. crit is self explanatory, power is a static increase in damage. so it's really a choice of higher chance to crit, or higher overall damage every time you hit. I'd pick power, but it may be personal pref (or there may be some theorycrafting im missing)

So, as you can see OP, they are all interrelated. I think the key is to keep an eye on your results, and adjust accordingly. As you level, its really about getting as many tank stats as possible. i guess If i had to choose...id get shield over absorb until i was at least 30% shield. but often its not one or the other, its shield or crit. or absorb or surge. shield and absorb always take precedence over the other stats.

Edited by Elyx

Got my Jugg up to 30 and have been upgrading gear as I get the money off of the GTN. I found myself looking at several shields with various stats and couldn't decide. I was wondering what should be considered the most important of the following stats:

defense rating

absorption

shield rating

accuracy rating

critical rating

Personally, I would (given the choice) focus more on Shield and Absorb, at your level, and work on Defense when you hit 50.

A few % Defense isn't going to matter nearly as much as 5-10% Shield, and 5-10% Absorb. I confess, it's been a long time since I was 30, so I don't remember what your gear/mods will allow you to have, but if I am looking at two pieces, and one gives me 1% more Defense, and the other gives me 5% Shield and Absorb, I'm taking door number two.

Riôt