Why can't our ships pick us up and drop us off?

Infleto

So, we all have a ship. This ship can land, hover, and take off veridically right?

Why can't I have my ship pick me up at point "a" on a planet and drop me off at point "b" on the planet?

Q:

"but is your ship is too big to land every where"

A:

Reality when out the window when I pulled a car speeder out of my ***. Or when I have 4 other companions sneaking around behind me ready to pop out any time I summon them.

Also a simple rope ladder can work when you can't land.

Better Question,

When I am out questing on the surface and run in to a large group of mobs . .

. . Why can't I have my crew-mates kill them with, I don't know. .

. . . my ship's f'ing cannons?

EDIT: "Caption, atmospheric conditions are interfering with the ship's targeting(or transporter) array. We can't get a lock" - worked in Startrack

Edited by Infleto

So, we all have a ship. This ship can land, hover, and take off veridically right?

Why can't I have my ship pick me up at point "a" on a planet and drop me off at point "b" on the planet?

Q:

A:

Reality when out the window when I pulled a car speeder out of my ***. Or when I have 4 other companions sneaking around behind me ready to pop out any time I summon them.

Better Question,

Because that would make the game even easier. We don't need that.

Q:

A:

Better Question,

Well firstly, the taxi business would go out of business, and then there would be all of those homeless droids and little droid children starving....

If that isn't enough, by increasing the game time it takes to level and remove all of the inane and pointless running around to/from/from/to - back to to then from, we would all be 50 ever faster than we are now, and then the end game content that the forums are crying out for would be more packed with discontent players just waiting for GW2 and posting here in the interim ....

Really, you should consider these issues before posting! :-)

Q:

A:

Better Question,

Lol can you imagine that. You paint a target and your ship launches proton torpedoes from orbit haha insta pwn.

Because that would make the game even easier. We don't need that.

Yea the skill level needed for this game is a bit low.

I would like to see a high skill - competitive "hard mode" be made for class quest/PvE/PvP

I mean any thing that could drive a E-sport or "pro scene" could drive the game further and attract more players. Just look at Starcraft2. The business model is proven.

It would just take some kinda of arena. Not like a WoW arena. WoW tried to cater to the masses with their arena and failed hard.

A arena aimed at balance with spells/talents that act differently in the arena than in the rest of the game would push the game in to E-sports

Lol can you imagine that. You paint a target and your ship launches proton torpedoes from orbit haha insta pwn.

"Caption, atmospheric conditions are interfering with the

ship's targeting(or transporter) array. We can't get a lock"

worked in Startrack

Edited by Infleto

An even better question would be:

Why do we see children with speeders in the SW movies, but we have to wait until level 25 as an adult to get ours?

Why is everybody walking everywhere on every planet when we have flying cars and speeders?

Star Wars logic.

"Caption, atmospheric conditions are interfering with the

ship's targeting(or transporter) array. We can't get a lock"

worked in Startrack

This always works in Star Trek regardless of what you're trying to do, "Boost the confinement beam" hahaha.

Scotty: "I canna do it captain, I dunna have the power!"

Same reason why DF killed WoW.

Easy travel causes the game to get filled with ignorant kindergarden kids that cant point you the way to RFC in Orgrimmar. Travelling and exploring is a part of MMO.

Have a datacron at some thigh spot that only skillful acrobats can take? Screw dodgy jumping and land a ship on it!

Edited by Ravagexe

Being picked up by your ship should be similar to the fleetpass. You should be allowed to use it anywhere as long as you're outside (not in a cave or building) and it should have a cool down of 4 hours.

Exploring is part of an MMO and you should get used to it. But there occasional situations where you need to get somewhere fast. For example, if there is a group waiting for you on another planet.

Being picked up by your ship should be similar to the fleetpass. You should be allowed to use it anywhere as long as you're outside (not in a cave or building) and it should have a cool down of 4 hours.

Exploring is part of an MMO and you should get used to it. But there occasional situations where you need to get somewhere fast. For example, if there is a group waiting for you on another planet.

I remember days down at the very bottom of the ryatt trail in swg lol.... thatnk god for force run or the death express lol.

Because apparently, some planets have no fly zones because you may accidentally take out an entire family of rare Alderaaian geese which are now "endangered".

It wasn't my fault the stupid birds hit my windshield. They should not have been flying that high anyway. And when you're going 237 miles per hour, it's kind of hard to swerve to avoid things.

Stupid birds.

bobo fett had a communicator in his mask to control his ship. but that was 3000+ years after old republic, maybe things have moved on alot in that time

anyway i think the real issue here is the way the game is programmedb your ship is nothing more that a fancy door a portal between planets. and the game does not have the mechanics for your ship to go anywhere other than the places its programmed to go. which in reality it never goes anywhere, there is a little visual representation of your ship in each dock. its not one ship that travels to each dock. you get on one ship and you get off a different ship

If anything at all, you should have the choice of which city on the planet you wish to land at. Having one landing site, such as anchorhead on tatooine is not realistic when you have several cities on tatooine, each with their own spaceport.

I wouldnt agree with landing in the middle of nowhere unless of course your using a fighter, which are not ingame for players use.

If anything at all, you should have the choice of which city on the planet you wish to land at. Having one landing site, such as anchorhead on tatooine is not realistic when you have several cities on tatooine, each with their own spaceport.

I wouldnt agree with landing in the middle of nowhere unless of course your using a fighter, which are not ingame for players use.

It might be difficult for planets with a spaceport, because your ship is not in the world, it is in an instance in the spaceport.

It would easier with orbital stations. Just add addition shuttle landing points and add them to the selection list on the shuttle in the orbital station landing bay. To start with, they could a link to and from the orbital station to the Flashpoint shuttle.

Edited by sjmc

I don't see your ship ever being usable in the game world. Maybe in some cut scenes, Smuggler Fly By ability etc. Would be nice to have your ship with a Quick Travel point though.

However how many bonus series quests would people miss by not having to go through the star port? Would have to make it so you got a call on your ship once you quick traveled too it.

They added atmospheric flight in the final months of SWG, and it was awesome. A bit clunky to be sure, but it proved that mmo devs can do it if they wanted to. I was able to take my YT-1300 and fly it from Mos Eisley to Anchorhead and hover over the cities at will. You could even attack PVP flagged toons from the air. Edited by sinnaman

I know for myself, the more instantaneous the travel time, the less immersive the gaming is. For example, in Warhammer Online, when you got on a (wyvern? taxi? whatever they were called), you had a loading screen and then you were there.

Now, that was quick and easy. But, compared to the way SWTOR, and WoW before them, it made me feel removed from the game. There was something very engaging and sort of epic about flying over areas, seeing stuff you hadn't encountered yet.