Merciless Slash vs 2xSlash? Is MS useless?

neparo

I would like to briefly discuss merciless slash and it's use as compared to 2xSlash.

These numbers are based directly off skills and current gear. Please do not assume I'm using "swift slash" currently, just that it is a possibility.

Merciless

Focus 4

Centering 4

Crit Mod(skill) --

Damage/focus 469

Cauterize reset 66.6%

2xSlash

Focus 4

Centering 8

Crit Modifier +15%

Damage/focus 494

Cauterize Reset 33.3%/slash

On paper it seems to be that 2xSlash would be more benefical due to more centering, higher crit, marginally better damage per focus cost. If the only reason to use merciless slash is it 'crits harder' why use it other than to burst in pvp?

Is there something about merciless slash that i'm missing?

one thing to think about is armor reduction and resistance. when you resist two attacks you get to resist it twice, so each value is reduced somewhat. I would say that makes it more effective vs lightly armored targets, and merciless strike would likely be more effective against heavily armored targets because they only get to apply their considerable defenses one time instead of twice.

A better comparison would be MS and a Strike vs. 2 Slashes.

I seem to have forgotten strike+ms. When accessing that MS seems to pull ahead in pure numerical dps, when not considering the crit chance of slash.

one thing to think about is armor reduction and resistance. when you resist two attacks you get to resist it twice, so each value is reduced somewhat. I would say that makes it more effective vs lightly armored targets, and merciless strike would likely be more effective against heavily armored targets because they only get to apply their considerable defenses one time instead of twice.

When dealing with mitigation and armor. Wouldn't it be more valuable to have someone dodge 1 small attack and get hit by 1 small attack than to have 1 big attack completely negated?

I would like to briefly discuss merciless slash and it's use as compared to 2xSlash.

These numbers are based directly off skills and current gear. Please do not assume I'm using "swift slash" currently, just that it is a possibility.

Merciless

Focus 4

Centering 4

Crit Mod(skill) --

Damage/focus 469

Cauterize reset 66.6%

2xSlash

Focus 4

Centering 8

Crit Modifier +15%

Damage/focus 494

Cauterize Reset 33.3%/slash

On paper it seems to be that 2xSlash would be more benefical due to more centering, higher crit, marginally better damage per focus cost. If the only reason to use merciless slash is it 'crits harder' why use it other than to burst in pvp?

You have to consider that 2x slash takes 2 GCD to perform whereas 1x MS only takes one. so after using MS you have one GCD left to perform another attack, for example a strike, which will lead to more total damage and build focus.

Also that 15% crit modifier i suppose comes from the tier2 talent from the focus tree which is something that i dont recommend speccing into as there are more important talents in the combat tree to pick up.

You have to consider that 2x slash takes 2 GCD to perform whereas 1x MS only takes one. so after using MS you have one GCD left to perform another attack, for example a strike, which will lead to more total damage and build focus.

Also that 15% crit modifier i suppose comes from the tier2 talent from the focus tree which is something that i dont recommend speccing into as there are more important talents in the combat tree to pick up.

^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^

What this guy said.

Master strike is a nice filler for no focus+everything on cd situations.

And 2x slash takes 2x GCD to execute.

If the only reason to use merciless slash is it 'crits harder' why use it other than to burst in pvp?

Also keep in mind that PvP isn't the only place you want to burst dps. It's still very commonplace in PvE, especially if solo and it's a tight race on who lives, or, say, in an endgame scenerio such as Soa round 3 where you have a tight window for each dps burst.

And that extra 33% chance to reset Cauterize means you have it available more often, which is extra dps as well.

But from a focus-spending perspective? Yeah, 2 x slash would win.

Generally speaking, however, focus isn't that much of an issue for Watchmen. Not with in-your-face Force Leap, Zealous Strike, burns having 30% to give 1 focus every 1.5 sec, and Master Strike providing a fantastic free damage boost while waiting for the focus generators to reset.

When dealing with mitigation and armor. Wouldn't it be more valuable to have someone dodge 1 small attack and get hit by 1 small attack than to have 1 big attack completely negated?

in pvp merciless slash is better because of the burst.

in pve first just get 98% acc and merciless slash will never miss. second none of the boss fights are so short that you wouldn't have a second opportunity to merciless slash before the fight is over. after 1.2 people can do some parsing to compare pve rotations/builds but I doubt I'll respec just for pve, never had a problem being top damage pre 1.2(judging by the EV solo bosses) using pvp spec and they nerfing everyone else so whatever.