The Best View in SWTOR contest has returned! ×

Your current stats as a shield tank

Lasian

Full Columi 4 piece set, 2 Blackhole implants and BH chest.

Unbuffed stats:

Aim: 1581

Endurance: 1842

Health: 21,131

Armor: 8394 (43.73%)

Damage Red: 52.73%

Defense: 9.68% (76 def rating)

Shield: 48.28% (412 rating)

Absorb 57.09% (483 rating)

Since MM's spreadsheet is no longer current, or at least I can't get an accurate working out of it, I place myself before the masses for improvement suggestions.

• Replies 51
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Checking out hitpoints heavy gear atm where I try to keep the defensive stats at what I understand to be the "sweet point of 20-50-50"

Pray tell show me the thread with the math that gives a PT's "sweet" spot as 20/50/50.

The 30/50/50 "myth" has to do with people looking at the DR curves on a chart and not understanding how to understand what they are reading.

http://i396.photobucket.com/albums/pp45/Antimony_photo/2500RatingBenefit.png

When you look at a chart like that, you can see that def is capped at 30, and absorb/shield at 50.

Where people get confused is that the chart is talking raw stats from gear only.

You can not hit 50% shield with gear only. You can stack nothing but shield augments, mods and enhancements and will fall well short of the 2,500 ish stat points you would need to hit cap.

(total def stats for a PT is going to run right at 1,600ish total stats with one PvP relic on. 1,700ish with two pvp relics)

You get 5% shield from your offhand, and 8% from Talents in your Skill Tree.

So the "actual" cap for shield is not 50% but 63%.

It would take a ridiculously large amount of defensive stats to hit that cap. (roughly 1,000 our of the 1,600-1,700 ish given to us)

Same thing with Absorb. You get 24% Absorb with offhand and talents so the "true" cap for Absorb is 74%.

It really boils down to finding a nice, happy blend of maximizing your stats vs. the diminishing return on the curve.

For ME it is....

15.86 Def (284)

55.94 Shield (648) with absorb relic. 58.63 (751) with 2nd PvP relic

61.62 Absorb (622)

I really need to tweak those slightly, bit moved around here and there, but for now I am happy with where I am at.

(all 61's btw)

My view on mit vs. morale stacking.

Take two tanks.

One morale stacks.

One Mitigation stacks.

Have them both parse a fight and see just how much more healing has to be done to keep the morale stacking tank up vs. the mit. stacker.

It is quite significant.

I once compared a parse where I had to heal a Morale stacking tank 100,000+ more than another parse where a tank was mit stacking. (might have been 120k. it's been a few months)

That is 100k+ of heals that could have gone elsewhere.

Morale stacking is NOT helping your healers out.

It makes them work much, much harder for the same results.

Be nice to your heals... do not morale stack.

Edited by Lutese

Currently in full 63 gear with the exception of three weighted mod 27's that i haven't been able to find yet. Current stats buffed and unstimmed are as follows:

HP: 23396 (2066)

Armor: 8994

Damage Reduction:54.55%

Def: 19.26% (426)

Shield: 58.26 (728)

Absorb: 59.65 (556)

Have been clearing HM TFB, and i find its a good balance between the three stats, without having to stack too much of one. Mostly using bulwark 27's and Deflecting 27's with most of my mods geared towards absorb.

• 3 weeks later...

My PT tanks stats are as follow with exotech stim an noxxic build

Aim : 1695

Endurance : 2676 (29556hp)

accuracy : 91%

Crit chance : 22.06%

Crit multi : 51%

Armour : 8760 (44.78%)

Damage Reduction : 53:78%

Defence : 20.09%

Shield : 52%

Absorb : 52.26%

i have all 26 mods, i,ve heard that aiming for the 20/50/50 is a good ratio to aim for an so i have been mixing an matching m,odfs to get to that ratio while maximizing health to maximize my time to death an so far its worked very well for my although i haven,t tanked hm denova or hm asation yet as my guild isn,t quite up to it yet.

but in every other op i,ve done i,ve had no problem with threat or damage mitigation.

but i,ve been told i should dump as much endurance as possible for extra shield an or absorb but i,m not sure whether its worth the effort?

i,m thinking i,ll get a better result getting more Armour with the 27 armourings. from what i,ve seen an herd there seems to be the, get as much shield/ absorb as possible method an the 20/50/50 with the high hp pool for longer time to death, i,m interested it what others think about this an also is 20% def to high for a pt tank? i,ve heard that much over 16% is a waste.

Edited by posihero

i have all 26 mods, i,ve heard that aiming for the 20/50/50 is a good ratio to aim for an so i have been mixing an matching m,odfs to get to that ratio while maximizing health to maximize my time to death an so far its worked very well for my although i haven,t tanked hm denova or hm asation yet as my guild isn,t quite up to it yet.

but in every other op i,ve done i,ve had no problem with threat or damage mitigation.

but i,ve been told i should dump as much endurance as possible for extra shield an or absorb but i,m not sure whether its worth the effort?

i,m thinking i,ll get a better result getting more Armour with the 27 armourings. from what i,ve seen an herd there seems to be the, get as much shield/ absorb as possible method an the 20/50/50 with the high hp pool for longer time to death, i,m interested it what others think about this an also is 20% def to high for a pt tank? i,ve heard that much over 16% is a waste.

No stat is every really a waste, you only need to consider the role you're playing, your current stats, and what your preferences are for fulfilling that role. Your current hp maximizing gearing will get you through the game's content, if that's how you want to do it. I prefer complete prioritization of defensive stats, which ultimately makes me easier to heal, at the sacrifice of not having a high hp buffer should I take a lot of damage consecutively. However, periods of high spike damage are really nowhere to be found in this game unless you are doing things wrong, and in that case even an extra 5k hp might not make the difference. So, it's up to you what you stat distribution you want to achieve, as you can go for max mitigation, max hp, or anywhere in between.

My current defense chance with stim is about 18.6%, lower than yours. You'd have to look at the thread that outlines the gains in stats per rating and how they value relative to each other in order to come up with a true "ideal" defense chance, but 20% is a good number nonetheless.

HP 26076

AR 8813

DR 52%

DC 20%

SC 53%

SA 57%

My guild main tank always stresses DC he has a pt as well but I was told you can stack absorption and should stack it. I would love to have 30k hp tank but i dont think those tanks are worth anything to be honest

Ive been in raids with 30k tanks and watched them fail to stay up and lose aggro all at the same time.

What do you guys think of the 30k tanks

Thought I would /bump this thread and post my stats:

(Keeping in mind I went from all mk-1 eliminator recruit armor to this)

20.2k health

7911 armor rating

49.28% damage reduction

14.83% defense chance

46.54% shield chance

47.09% shield absorption

I also have like 240 power as well (half the suit is augmented for absorption and other half for power and health). Looking forward to taking it for a test drive :)

UPDATED:

22k health (with BH buff)

8678 armor rating

51.55% damage reduction

16.93% defense chance

52.78% shield chance

56.08% shield absorption

current stats are

25.9k HP

23.69% defense chance

54% shield chance

53.17% absorb

i also have a dread guard defense relic that makes my defense go from 23.69 to 28.5% for 20s

proc that and oil slick = really good for spiky fights such as kephess in nightmare EC

working on getting the relic that increase shield and absorb for 20s as well

I don't know if i made a mistake in my setup but i went Defense.

96% accuracy

21000 hp

36% shield chance

34% absorb

22 Defense

Also note that this character isnt fully geared and is a mixture of rakata, columi and black hole pieces.

• 2 weeks later...
1870 Aim

2334 Endurance

94.62% Acc

51.78% Dmg Reduc

13.47% Defense

49.24% Shield Chance

53.03% Shield Absoption

26k health buffed

I find myself with the problem of my health dropping fast in ops, should I raise my defense stat a little more?

Do you have offensive stats or something? Your def/shield/absorb looks low for the amount of health you have.

If so, get rid of them. Get rid of your accuracy too.