Why can't BW code a queue system?

KrackenOne

omg its kracken red'scorpion here

Totaly agree with you man

Side note how u been and still making server best lol

Hey hey!!! Not bad. Guildies are all here on Volkur and Port Nowhere. Spend 1/2 my in a few Beta's and half here. Crafting here is marginal....

Sure, I can admit that coding a queue is hard, I cannot do it; that's why I am a player, not a dev.

But, queuing systems have been under development in online communities for DECADES...so why does it seem that they get successively worse in MMOs rather than better? Why are development companies so tight-wadded about allowing technology to flourish through collaboration and successive improvement instead of hording something that doesn't work in the first place and seemingly starting from scratch each time?

Perhaps this is what the OP is asking?

No, simply asking why smaller less funded games without the resources or playerbase do not have these issues with a BG/WZ/Arena whatever queue.

It only starts a match when you have 16 people queueing, but they don't always join. Many imps on my server know when 16 imps dissappear, they know it's Huttball... so they don't join, even if they're included, because they'd rather play reps.

It's not the queueing system, it's the players, which you can't fix.

I'm not sure I buy that. How could you possibly know if 16 imps disappear unless they were all in 1 guild? You're saying every single 50 hangs out at fleet? Also lol at not wanting to fight imps. What, it's hard fighting someone who's had the advantage since launch?

Making it so when 16 people hit the queue button does not seem very difficult at all. They have it right, and it's not their fault people don't join the match. There's just not as many people playing this game as there is in WoW, so you notice population and team gaps.

Actually I started countless games where it was 4v4, 5v5, 4v7, etc. So I don't think it's quite where it ONLY starts with 16 players. I think just an even amount of players and only start with a set number of players. I am thinking 8.

I really think the Q should work like this. When the Q pops, it will ask do you want to join. If you click yes, it will put you in a second Q with other people who clicked yes. And when the system finds 16 players who all clicked yes. It will automatically port you into the WZ.

This solution will stop games where one side outnumbers the other.

Quote:

Originally Posted by Zunayson

Making it so when 16 people hit the queue button does not seem very difficult at all. They have it right, and it's not their fault people don't join the match. There's just not as many people playing this game as there is in WoW, so you notice population and team gaps.

Actually I started countless games where it was 4v4, 5v5, 4v7, etc. So I don't think it's quite where it ONLY starts with 16 players. I think just an even amount of players and only start with a set number of players. I am thinking 8.

Not sure on that either, it may be if >12 are waiting combined with >6 on each side. Would explain the 3 v 12, 3 on oneside declined or were AFK.

But if it was this, they would just have to add a queue number check before transport. That would not be that difficult at all.

If 8 pubs and 8 imps queue- a match starts... but lo and behold, 2 of the pubs cancelled their queue and declined it, now you have 8v6, and maybe nobody else is queuing.

There, mystery explained.

That is not the mystery. The mystery is why they cannot get at least 6v6 or 8v8 WZs with 1.2+ million players. Serioulsy if SWG could do it with a total team of 4 DEVs, there is no excuse here tbh.

Edited by KrackenOne

all i can say is if youre playing this game for the pvp at this particular moment and time, you are playing it for the wrong reasons.

Well all there is in this game is pve ops are a joke even on nm mode and every boss drop 10 plus items for a 8 man so with the easy fights and insane amount of loot drops ops are done I 1 night and with nothing to do for rest of week and after runing 2-3 time evryone is FULLY geared.

Ok tell me if I'm off but seeing your name kracken but your rescpec has reduced to 157 lol

I really think the Q should work like this. When the Q pops, it will ask do you want to join. If you click yes, it will put you in a second Q with other people who clicked yes. And when the system finds 16 players who all clicked yes. It will automatically port you into the WZ.

I agree with this solution. They might also want to consider allowing people to see which warzone they are entering before taking queue.

Also, the only real answer to why their system isn't great is that the people they hired weren't good enough. There are absolutely brilliant people out there, and they were either too expensive or simply unwilling to take the job. It's a video game, and video game programming probably doesn't draw the absolute best and brightest -- maybe pretty good, but likely not generation-defining programmers.

Quote:

Originally Posted by Smashbrother

I agree with this solution. They might also want to consider allowing people to see which warzone they are entering before taking queue.

Also, the only real answer to why their system isn't great is that the people they hired weren't good enough. There are absolutely brilliant people out there, and they were either too expensive or simply unwilling to take the job. It's a video game, and video game programming probably doesn't draw the absolute best and brightest -- maybe pretty good, but likely not generation-defining programmers.

Not a bad idea, I saw this too. What if it was like an arena, say the fleet map till the 8v8 was ready?

This is quite simply, the most F*****G useless post I have ever seen. Do you people realize that coding is quite difficult no matter if you're a *********** genius or a noob. All you people that criticize BW for is short falls in programming... GO MAKE YOUR OWN GAME then tell us how *********** easy it is!

I think this is working as intended. It's just a slight "upper hand" given to one side as an extra incentive to play there, trying to draw the attention of those that care about winning WZs, min/maxers, and those that like to feel they have the upper hand to that side.

Quote:

Originally Posted by Zunayson

Not sure on that either, it may be if >12 are waiting combined with >6 on each side. Would explain the 3 v 12, 3 on oneside declined or were AFK.

But if it was this, they would just have to add a queue number check before transport. That would not be that difficult at all.

You came to the forums asking why it is so difficult for them, then claim that there's no difficulty in it at all. This kind of cokyness would imply that you know how to fix it, yet are not making anyone privy to your solution.

Please, write up the code and send it to them, then the issue is resolved. With the time you've spent complaining here, you could have written a lot of code, but I have a suspicion that you really have no idea how difficult large-scale coding is and are just upset about a few uneven matches.

Edited by Nukor

You came to the forums asking why it is so difficult for them, then claim that there's no difficulty in it at all. This kind of cokyness would imply that you know how to fix it, yet are not making anyone privy to your solution.

Please, write up the code and send it to them, then the issue is resolved. With the time you've spent complaining here, you could have written a lot of code, but I have a suspicion that you really have no idea how difficult large-scale coding is and are just upset about a few uneven matches.

Yes, that is it entirely. It's not the fact that the queue system is horrible at all. It's not that I asked for ideas on why it is awful and ideas to make it better, no not at all......

Yes, that is it entirely. It's not the fact that the queue system is horrible at all. It's not that I asked for ideas on why it is awful and ideas to make it better, no not at all......

Not trying to be a jerk here man, I just think that your OP and subsequent posts aren't aimed at healthy discussion on the topic.

I am no programmer, so I have no idea how difficult it is. It would be foolish of me to claim "That wouldn't be difficult at all" which so far you have done.

If you want to attract attention from programmers to get some real brainstorming and problem-solving happening, you will need to take a different approach because your current approach seems to nonchalantly bash programmers. You may not intend it to come across this way, but that's the way it is coming across.

EDIT: Re-reading your OP, it's not nonchalant at all, saying "It's pathetic" is actually directly negative.

Again man, not trying to make you mad by posting this and I sincerely hope this conversation becomes a hub for a final solution, but you need to be aware that you're going about this in a way that comes across as hostile and most people will respond to you with posts of the same kind.

Edited by Nukor

The code seems to run with whatever numbers its got to play with and hope that the gaps in the group are made up before it has to shut the warzone down, rather than keeping players waiting for too long or not giving them a match at all. So on one hand its like, "hey, Im giving you a game at least aint I", but on the other its "screw you, 4 vs 8, hahaha, suckers!)

One can only hope that when cross-server zones arrive, the problem disappears, or at least, happens much less.

Not trying to be a jerk here man, I just think that your OP and subsequent posts aren't aimed at healthy discussion on the topic.

I am no programmer, so I have no idea how difficult it is. It would be foolish of me to claim "That wouldn't be difficult at all" which so far you have done.

If you want to attract attention from programmers to get some real brainstorming and problem-solving happening, you will need to take a different approach because your current approach seems to nonchalantly bash programmers. You may not intend it to come across this way, but that's the way it is coming across.

EDIT: Re-reading your OP, it's not nonchalant at all, saying "It's pathetic" is actually directly negative.

Again man, not trying to make you mad by posting this and I sincerely hope this conversation becomes a hub for a final solution, but you need to be aware that you're going about this in a way that comes across as hostile and most people will respond to you with posts of the same kind.

I've posted on the PTS boards, no conversation at all. I feel it is pathetic, I could have used a different word sure. But I'm really peeved. This is the only SW MMO out there, and I do not count the clone wars POS as an MMO. Every beta tester I've talked to in game or seen posts state they were flat out ignored.

How are we supposed to take it? I like the idea posted a few pages back, unfortunately no one has taken the time to read the thread to comment on it. Idea is to build a second min queue of players that said yes and launch from there for the WZ at 8v8.

The code seems to run with whatever numbers its got to play with and hope that the gaps in the group are made up before it has to shut the warzone down, rather than keeping players waiting for too long or not giving them a match at all. So on one hand its like, "hey, Im giving you a game at least aint I", but on the other its "screw you, 4 vs 8, hahaha, suckers!)

One can only hope that when cross-server zones arrive, the problem disappears, or at least, happens much less.

Certainly feels that way. Really think it is due to afk folks in the queue to be pulled into a WZ. Still feel it should not count them rather the folks that click yes. It hsould count the yes's and port you when 8 on each side have clicked yes.

To your point....I've edited the OP. /tiphat

P.S.

still *&*#)@ annoyed at it :p

Often overlooked and one of reasons swtor suffers from this problem more than other mmos is the auto queue being in automatic. lots of times i plan on taking a break or getting some food, forget to uncheck the box and get queued again. Game pops and i reject the prompt. Fail.