The Best View in SWTOR contest has returned! ×

A sandbox should have been better?

rickyard

So, now we are waiting patiently for new content to arrive from devs. if we don't have new content, we can get stuck and bored in our 50 lvl characters.

I know a MMO needs, as it is in its essence, to be upgraded, but as the game is designed the need for such contents is imperative, and it shouldn't be like this. Perhaps the design philosophy that is after the game is not well suited to last for months without an upgrade.

We play faster than the developers can create stories.

And in the meantime, as the game focuses in story, we don't have nothing more to do than reroling the same stories as a groundhog day. OR PVP continuously in same places.

How many years do you plan to PVP with same strategies and skills?

How many years do you play a PVP that only gives you more gear?

Sure in next upgrade there will be more and new gear. How many hours will you need to obtain it? How many hours till you get bored again?

It doesn't seem appealing to a Role playing game. In my opinion, the game should have some more tools to let us imagine our next step, something that allows to use our imagination. Some tools could be:

-Strong and real crafting

-Design tools to feel like we are building our own star wars environment

-Possibilities to build your own starship or speeder

-Houses, tailoring, fixers that repair the damage...

Things that you can do between stories. Things that demand a week or two off quests, and that could make the game last longer.

I am not talking about mini-games, you get bored of them too.

And if it is impossible to do such content, at least there could be REALLY different characters so when you reroll don't have the feeling of doing same kind of things twice.

Perhaps a class-quest for a Healer that actually has to heal x instead of killing x?

Class-quest for Smugglers that actually smuggle objects from one place to another?

More characters, a crafter that obtains levels through building better objects and specializes in this?

So, you think an MMO that has some sandbox options could last longer?? It is not needed? It is intended to last few but to earn lots of money from casual players that will abandon and let us alone in a few months?

So, now we are waiting patiently for new content to arrive from devs. if we don't have new content, we can get stuck and bored in our 50 lvl characters.

I know a MMO needs, as it is in its essence, to be upgraded, but as the game is designed the need for such contents is imperative, and it shouldn't be like this. Perhaps the design philosophy that is after the game is not well suited to last for months without an upgrade.

We play faster than the developers can create stories.

And in the meantime, as the game focuses in story, we don't have nothing more to do than reroling the same stories as a groundhog day. OR PVP continuously in same places.

How many years do you plan to PVP with same strategies and skills?

How many years do you play a PVP that only gives you more gear?

Sure in next upgrade there will be more and new gear. How many hours will you need to obtain it? How many hours till you get bored again?

It doesn't seem appealing to a Role playing game. In my opinion, the game should have some more tools to let us imagine our next step, something that allows to use our imagination. Some tools could be:

-Strong and real crafting

-Design tools to feel like we are building our own star wars environment

-Possibilities to build your own starship or speeder

-Houses, tailoring, fixers that repair the damage...

Things that you can do between stories. Things that demand a week or two off quests, and that could make the game last longer.

I am not talking about mini-games, you get bored of them too.

And if it is impossible to do such content, at least there could be REALLY different characters so when you reroll don't have the feeling of doing same kind of things twice.

Perhaps a class-quest for a Healer that actually has to heal x instead of killing x?

Class-quest for Smugglers that actually smuggle objects from one place to another?

More characters, a crafter that obtains levels through building better objects and specializes in this?

So, you think an MMO that has some sandbox options could last longer?? It is not needed? It is intended to last few but to earn lots of money from casual players that will abandon and let us alone in a few months?

What? Do you want SWTOR to be like SWG?

This game is fun. However, I already know it has no staying power for me. Its probably the new model of these games. Which is fine. I feel I am getting my money's worth. A lack of lfg feature is my biggest complaint. Edited by Sinron

There seems to be a phobia among the theme-park devoted concerning this suggestion. I don't know how extra activities ruins their ride, but apparently there is something threatening about putting in open ended content. Personally, I think they are afraid they will like it.

And fairweather themepark players for the most part get bored and move on to the next big thing. WoW has gotten lucky because of the lack of good MMOs coming out in its existance. But things are changing fast with good quality MMOs (which includes SWTOR) with big bucks behind them. Blizzard is hegding thier bets on kiddie kung fu pandas and Pokemon ripoffs to keep up? That is so beyond jumping the shark.

Have you seen the screenshots for Pandaria?

They haven't jumped the shark. They just reinvented Warcraft into something awesome. They pulled a My Little Pony: Friendship is Magic.

They took something old and stale and injected new life into it. Pandaria is shaping up to be bigger than Wrath.

There seems to be a phobia among the theme-park devoted concerning this suggestion. I don't know how extra activities ruins their ride, but apparently there is something threatening about putting in open ended content. Personally, I think they are afraid they will like it.

Sandboxes get boring just like anything else.

What? Do you want SWTOR to be like SWG?

I thought it was well hidden. Damn.

No, in fact, i would like SWG to have been upgraded to something similar to SWTOR, but without losing so many things that did it great.

Anyway, my question is: Did you wanted SWTOR to be like WoW?

I think themeparks should be booted all together. Don't we all enjoy the realism of a sandbox over the monotony and unreal garbage of themeparks? I like being able to customize my world, heck even make my own, not follow a strict path that is set before me. This game was advertised as something that would give you choice in everything you do, when in fact it is only a streamlined grindfest with repeated voice lines.

/falseadvertising

Edited by Curivity

I thought it was well hidden. Damn.

No, in fact, i would like SWG to have been upgraded to something similar to SWTOR, but without losing so many things that did it great.

Anyway, my question is: Did you wanted SWTOR to be like WoW?

I expected it to be a continuation of the KotOR series except as a MMO which is what it is and was intended to be.

While a sandbox game is in no way a bad idea, it doesn't sell nearly as high as themepark games, on top of this you HAVE to look at the developer. Seriously name the last sandbox game that bioware made... go on i'll wait while you look... oh and level creators are not sandbox, those are utility tools of the developer of a single player game, given access to the players. They are not the same thing... and while BW may have supported mods and such in BG1 and NWN series they have obviously went away from this since merging with EA because as you know EA doesn't like modding scene and never has because GASP they don't get a dime from it!

Over all bioware has made its bucks making games are themepark in nature, people loved Baulders gate for its themepark story, and while was alot of exploration in that game, was still the story everyone wanted to see, NWN was no differant, nor was jade empire, kotor or mass effect. Bioware are masters of themepark games, and thus decided to stick to what they know.

Would TOR have been a better sandbox? no as we know SWG was sandbox and it wasn't all that popular... by no means a bad game, but hardly a best sellers... i do wish was some sandbox elements such as, guild bases, or planets got to build up your defesnes on, or even custum story creator like Coh/v has BUT over all no SWTOR is much better as a themepark.

i think this game is in need of my sandbox features i play a couple hrs a day and for me i pvp and the ques take forever i would love to something while i wait instead of runing circles around fleet or illum waiting for someone to come out. if ques are that bad i level alts. its not that people have ocd and go threw content to fast it there is no real content besides forced warzone pvp and insanly easy pve. with no sandbox features subs wont last years

I think themeparks should be booted all together. Don't we all enjoy the realism of a sandbox over the monotony and unreal garbage of themeparks? I like being able to customize my world, heck even make my own, not follow a strict path that is set before me. This game was advertised as something that would give you choice in everything you do, when in fact it is only a streamlined grindfest with repeated voice lines.

/falseadvertising

Everytime you do a quest, you make choices that can affect the quest line. Every single time. I realize you are ignoring that because it means it isn't false advertising, but the choices are still there.

/falseadvertising

Well if you love sandboxes so much, EA has a game for you! The Sims 3!

I'm kidding, don't play Sims 3. It's boring now. They removed the aliens. It's not the same game since they removed the aliens.

Everytime you do a quest, you make choices that can affect the quest line. Every single time. I realize you are ignoring that because it means it isn't false advertising, but the choices are still there.

what do these choice do for you at the end if you pick differt nothing it sometimes chages what quest objective you do or letting someoine live and get a gift in mail

Over all bioware has made its bucks making games are themepark in nature, people loved Baulders gate for its themepark story, and while was alot of exploration in that game, was still the story everyone wanted to see, NWN was no differant, nor was jade empire, kotor or mass effect. Bioware are masters of themepark games, and thus decided to stick to what they know.

Would TOR have been a better sandbox? no as we know SWG was sandbox and it wasn't all that popular... by no means a bad game, but hardly a best sellers... i do wish was some sandbox elements such as, guild bases, or planets got to build up your defesnes on, or even custum story creator like Coh/v has BUT over all no SWTOR is much better as a themepark.

That's what i feel like, bioware has made some of the best games i ave ever played. They are specialy great in doing story driven games, epic games that i still have great feelings when i remember them (since first baldur's gate) But perhaps you can't do the same when you do a MMO. Most games bioware has done were great, but had an ending, an epic one. An MMO CAN'T have an ending. Because you got to keep paying next month.

Doesnt matter if sandbox would've been better or not, fact is SWTOR is not a sandbox and thats not going to change.

Personally i prefer swtor themepark than a mediocre sandbox like Rift.

I've been playing great sandbox games for 7 years (EQ2, Vanguard and SWG) so a themepark is a welcomed novelty act. If it will last or not, thats a different story and only time can tell.

what do these choice do for you at the end if you pick differt nothing it sometimes chages what quest objective you do or letting someoine live and get a gift in mail

It usually determines your title at the end and how the universe will see you from now on.

It turns out no one in the universe cares what you've done.

Just like my parents.....

*pops open a tub of ice cream*

I would like to see sandbox elements, as some diversity to the game, but a sandbox game on it's own just does not attract the masses, it seems like people over all like theme park games, the biggest example I give you is wow, I am not a wow fan ,but it has drawn in the huge crowds over the years.. most sandbox and skill based games either fail or end up with just enough of a niche market to keep them going.

They took something old and stale and injected new life into it. Pandaria is shaping up to be bigger than Wrath.

Lol you talk like WotLK was good.

The only good exp was burning crusade.

@OP

Just consider SWTOR as a singleplayer game with a MMO afterthought and you´ll be fine.

Doesnt matter if sandbox would've been better or not, fact is SWTOR is not a sandbox and thats not going to change.

Personally i prefer swtor themepark than a mediocre sandbox like Rift.

I've been playing great sandbox games for 7 years (EQ2, Vanguard and SWG) so a themepark is a welcomed novelty act. If it will last or not, thats a different story and only time can tell.

BW stated before game was launched that they knew what a sandbox was and planed for it to land it the middle

Lol you talk like WotLK was good.

The only good exp was burning crusade.

@OP

Just consider SWTOR as a singleplayer game with a MMO afterthought and you´ll be fine.

Crusade sucked. We got fridge box Draenei and Malibu Blood Elf.

The only good expansion was Cataclysm, and that's because it gave the Alliance Worgen.

That's. About. It.

And yet, most of us are still playing.

Game must not be dead.

You know what game is dead? Galaxies.

I know this because they shut it down.

So if I can log into TOR and not in Galaxies, I wonder which one we would consider "dead"?

swg is dead because this game came out not because of subs lucas wanted just 1 starwars mmo and there was no talk of server merge till what 6 years in the game where tor is needing it after launch lol