Enrage Timers

So im a newbie when it comes to enrage timers of the OPS bosses. Can someone enlighten me on this? because i noticed that sometimes a boss pops out his enrage timer when his HP is about 1/4 and sometimes they dont.

When will an enrage timer pop out and is there a way to avoid triggering it?

Thank you for the TIPS. :)

Depends on the fight really.

Most bosses have timed enrages where at the start of the fight you have say, 4-5 minutes until the boss enrages. it's meant to test that your DPS is capable of effectively doing enough damage in the allotted time given instead of a tank and all healers just going at it till the damn thing dies.

Some fight consist of a soft enrage where a boss will hit slightly harder when his health reaches a critical level.

Some fights require some strange mechanism to cause a boss to enrage (example is the first boss in KP that eats an add).

Figuring it all out is half the battle.

With regards to the poster above, he is mostly correct. One particular item that was missed is in the mechanics of having multiple bosses, for example: Jarg & Sorno in Karagga's Palace. As I recall, they don't have an enrage timer as it were, but one or the other will enrage, if his buddy dies, thus making the mechanics of the fight basically down to killing them both as close to simultaneous as possible.

When will an enrage timer pop out and is there a way to avoid triggering it?

For most of them, it is just a matter of killing the mob fast enough. There's a few exceptions, most or all of them already listed. But generally, moar dots!

As stated above, there are multiple factors to how a boss enrages.

The most common is hitting the time limit. Most bosses except OPS bosses have a minute or two before they get the Enrage buff and that's the only way they do get enraged. OPS bosses have a significantly longer enrage timer due to the huge amount of health they have. If this happens frequently, then look to boosting the DPS of your group either with better gear, better rotations, better strats, etc.

There are enrages that occur because of a mechanic. If you're up against a two Champion boss fight, expect the remaining Champion to enrage if the other is killed. A couple bosses also channel abilities that cause them to enrage or go Super Saiyan if they're not interrupted.

There are also soft enrages as explained above. Sometimes they're easy to discern from other enrages because there is usually an alert for when they do enrage or there is a mechanic to prevent them from doing so.

Edited by ImmortalAlien

Thank you so much for the TIPS guys. Basically my DPS buddies last night cannot dish out enough damage to kill the boss fast enough, it was GHARJ from EV. It was our first OPS as a guild and most of the DPS are fresh 50's so I guess we still need practice and put more DPS to quickly kill the guy before he pops his ER timer. Im a vanguard OFF tank and I can pretty much take out what the boss dishes out at me w/o breaking a sweat our healers are good.

Anyways, Thank you so much guys. May the force be with you.

:)

With regards to the poster above, he is mostly correct. One particular item that was missed is in the mechanics of having multiple bosses, for example: Jarg & Sorno in Karagga's Palace. As I recall, they don't have an enrage timer as it were, but one or the other will enrage, if his buddy dies, thus making the mechanics of the fight basically down to killing them both as close to simultaneous as possible.

Whoa. that's kinda cool. thank you so much.

Thank you so much for the TIPS guys. Basically my DPS buddies last night cannot dish out enough damage to kill the boss fast enough, it was GHARJ from EV. It was our first OPS as a guild and most of the DPS are fresh 50's so I guess we still need practice and put more DPS to quickly kill the guy before he pops his ER timer. Im a vanguard OFF tank and I can pretty much take out what the boss dishes out at me w/o breaking a sweat our healers are good.

Anyways, Thank you so much guys. May the force be with you.

:)

Erm... Why would anyone need an offtank in EV? O_o Maybe that's why you are hitting enrage?

Erm... Why would anyone need an offtank in EV? O_o Maybe that's why you are hitting enrage?

didnt have anyone to do tanking for the guild. still waiting for the two guardians to hit 50 and get gears. why? is there a reason not to bring an offtank?

Generally, in this Operation, one tank is enough. Our guild has been solo tanking this one. There is a bit of a gamble though when it comes to Soa, if on the 3rd phase, the tank gets mind trapped, you either need to a) get the tank out of there quick, or b) have someone taunt the boss and hold him long enough until the tank gets freed, otherwise he evades and resets the encounter.

Generally, in this Operation, one tank is enough. Our guild has been solo tanking this one. There is a bit of a gamble though when it comes to Soa, if on the 3rd phase, the tank gets mind trapped, you either need to a) get the tank out of there quick, or b) have someone taunt the boss and hold him long enough until the tank gets freed, otherwise he evades and resets the encounter.

Whoa. Thanks for the heads up bro. can my CC breaker cancel the mind trap?

You recall false, we hit the enragetimer on J&S once as two DDs had a DC.

But jeah, under normal circumstances you should not hit the enrage^^

Yomatiko is here right, there is a bug that he resets in P3 if the tank gets into the mindtrap. Normaly he just pics a new target and the play who was aggro need extra healing and makes the tanks job until the tank is out of the trap.

Edited by Onibubu

You recall false, we hit the enragetimer on J&S once as two DDs had a DC.

But jeah, under normal circumstances you should not hit the enrage^^

Yomatiko is here right, there is a bug that he resets in P3 if the tank gets into the mindtrap. Normaly he just pics a new target and the play who was aggro need extra healing and makes the tanks job until the tank is out of the trap.

hahaha.. then better help my DPS guildies grind level and items. :D

thanks a lot guys. :)

First want to say, a Guardian/Juggernaut are no more main tanks then Vanguard/Powertechs Shadow/assassins. None of these class are Offtanks, They are all main tanks.

You can do all of Normal Mode and Hardmode ev and kp with 1 tank. If you are having issues with Enrange timers do to lack of dps having 2 tanks will cause this untill you get better geared dps. I would suggest bringing 1 tank 2 heals rest dps. If you still have a problem with enrage timers try to bring 2 sentinals/Marauders for there dps increase buff. Make sure all your dps is same group together because the dps boosts are only party wide not ops wide. Same with there dots healing the party not the ops. and the sentinal/marauders dps combat buffs stack.

Hope this helps.

Enrage timer exists because otherwise people will just take 7 healers and one tank and bore the boss to death after an hour or two. If you look at how the fights are designed in SWTOR, there's no chance any boss can defeat this composition without enrage (counting the massive spawn of Acklays on Ancient Pylons as a form of Enrage). The boss would probably never win even if it's 1 tank + 3 heal + 4 DPS. Sure it'd take a while but people are quite willing to take extra time for the sure win while their characters are still weak.

Enrage timer exists because otherwise people will just take 7 healers and one tank and bore the boss to death after an hour or two.

Ya know, I hear this from time to time, but I honestly doubt anyone would actually do that except maybe for the lulz.

Ya know, I hear this from time to time, but I honestly doubt anyone would actually do that except maybe for the lulz.

Got to admit, it is very amusing and very easy to pull off.

I Present: 40 Priest vs Onyxia Dated Oct.2006

You'll be surprised what people would do for the sure win.

At any rate 1 tank + 3 heals + 4 DPS should be able to comfortably beat any encounter in this game unless you're grossly outmatched if enrage timer doesn't eixst. Consider the usual composition is 1 tank + 2 heals + 5 DPS, this means you'd only need to spend 25% more time, which is a small price to pay for a guaranteed win. You basically have +50% healing (2 heal -> 3 heal) for only a +25% time increase if there is no enrage.

You'll be surprised what people would do for the sure win.

At any rate 1 tank + 3 heals + 4 DPS should be able to comfortably beat any encounter in this game unless you're grossly outmatched if enrage timer doesn't eixst. Consider the usual composition is 1 tank + 2 heals + 5 DPS, this means you'd only need to spend 25% more time, which is a small price to pay for a guaranteed win. You basically have +50% healing (2 heal -> 3 heal) for only a +25% time increase if there is no enrage.

That's because none of the bosses (including NMM) are really a challenge in terms of mob dps vs tank mitigation. The ONLY thing that should wipe anyone in the current tier of content is the enrage timer. Your tank will only die if they are horribly undergeared and your healers are derping it up big time. Put in any competent player and the tank/healing vs mob dps game is a flat joke. Heck, we've even used a DPS spec character in tank gear and cleared HM instances, you don't even need a full fledged tank most of the time.

I'd rather have bosses that can actually kill a tank and wipe you just because than to have joke mode boss that hit like a wet noodle but are simply a "dps race." I guess when I complain about enrage timers this is what I wish they'd get around to doing in encounter design. I'm the MT for my guild and I've never felt like I have ever been really challenged. 80% of the time when we wipe, it's to an enrage, the other 20% is a derp moment by someone else in the raid.

Beating an enrage timer is simply a function of gearing up our DPS. Ability rotations are rarely a factor as our players had those figured out way ahead of time. I mean, really, these classes aren't hard to play. So basically our raids boil down to what dps players show up on a given night (ie ranged vs melee), their gear level and ability to avoid derp moments. It's boring when every fight is just a dps race.

Edited by ViperI

That's because none of the bosses (including NMM) are really a challenge in terms of mob dps vs tank mitigation. The ONLY thing that should wipe anyone in the current tier of content is the enrage timer. Your tank will only die if they are horribly undergeared and your healers are derping it up big time. Put in any competent player and the tank/healing vs mob dps game is a flat joke. Heck, we've even used a DPS spec character in tank gear and cleared HM instances, you don't even need a full fledged tank most of the time.

I'd rather have bosses that can actually kill a tank and wipe you just because than to have joke mode boss that hit like a wet noodle but are simply a "dps race." I guess when I complain about enrage timers this is what I wish they'd get around to doing in encounter design. I'm the MT for my guild and I've never felt like I have ever been really challenged. 80% of the time when we wipe, it's to an enrage, the other 20% is a derp moment by someone else in the raid.

Beating an enrage timer is simply a function of gearing up our DPS. Ability rotations are rarely a factor as our players had those figured out way ahead of time. I mean, really, these classes aren't hard to play. So basically our raids boil down to what dps players show up on a given night (ie ranged vs melee), their gear level and ability to avoid derp moments. It's boring when every fight is just a dps race.

The problem is that no game since EQ1 made melee damage with a wide variance. In EQ a mob that hits for an average of 10000 a round can actually hit for 0 to 30K+ depending on which hits connect and how hard each hit landed. In WoW and all consequent games, I think all mobs actually hit for an identical value, and if there's a difference you're looking at the difference between getting hit for 10000 or 10010. Yes you got block/shield/parry mechanism but presumably your tank is still expected to live if a hit connects for full (otherwise the encounter would be unbeatable). Because there's no variance and the mob clearly can't one shot your tank either, there's really no skill involved in healing the MT either. If you can keep your tank alive against say 3 hits with no parry/block, your tank will usually never die unless you run out of mana. Unfortunately all games from WoW up seems to accidentally give players effectively infinite mana so attrition isn't an option either. In fact, in a game like SWTOR, if say 2 guys healers can heal effectively against a mob for a period greater than 33 seconds, then 4 healers can definitely heal against that forever (it takes 33 seconds to go from 100 heat to 0, so just have 4 healer work in 2 shifts of 2).

On the other hand a game with EQ with such a wide variance of damage puts a lot of skill in the tank/healer hands, but on the other hand if the mob's potential maximum damage is greater than your max HP (which happens all the time) then that means sometimes your tank will just die no matter what, and that kind of sucks too.