The Best View in SWTOR contest has returned! ×

So I was enjoying the initial conversation with Khem Val...

Apano

It is not a recognized contraction in the Standard English sense, however it is an accepted colloquial contraction if used in a conversational / spoken context.

If the benchmark for the game's conversations is Standard English, then "There're" would be considered a grammatical error.

HOWEVER, while I have not heard the conversation, it must be pointed out that the words that appear on screen are subtitles to what is spoken. As such, if the spoken words are "There're" in the colloquial sense, and the words that we hear are in fact, "There're" (rather than "There are"), then the contraction is perfectly acceptable.

JUSTIFICATION for response:

Fours years Honours Bachelor of English (Canadian University) and 15 years High School English Teacher.

Cheers!

Colloquial_Canuck :)

I might agree with you if they were sub-titles, but at best they are paraphases so I would prefer if they were correct English - either that or make them true sub-titles and match the spoken word.

So are you saying that all character dialogue should be grammatically correct, rather than representing the way that many people do actually speak? That's an interesting viewpoint, but I doubt you will find many writers who would agree with you.

Not necessarily, unless it's relevant to the character that they have perfect grammar. However, those little snippet-gist options aren't what is actually said and so they should have perfect grammar.

Just over 3 pages of people arguing about grammar.... ohboy...
Want to see it go to 100 pages?

Bring up the fact that "A LOT" is always supposed to be two words and that the usage "alot", which is common these days despite the simplicity of the rule...

A LOT...

2 words...

ALWAYS...

2 words...

... simple.

Cheers!

Grammar_Hammer_Canuck :)

people who pick up on peoples grammar really have no valid argument, its just so petty.

*People [1]

*pick on[2] other[2a]

*people's[3]

*it's[4]

[1]You should always begin sentences with a capital letter.

[2]"Pick on" means to critique, harangue, or harass. "Pick up on" means "to be aware of" or "to notice".

[2a]Without this word, the sentence makes less sense.

[3]Apostrophes are used to denote possession.

[4]This is a contraction of "it is", so, you use an apostrophe.

I'm pretty sure you deliberately filled your post with as many errors as you could; did I miss any? I probably did; please point them out to me so I can do better next time.

...until I read this:

Screenshot (Option 1, first word)

Made me laugh so hard, I'm sorry lol

I love how pretty much all of the replies to this thread have focused on the assumption that the point of humor was the contraction "there're" and not the obviously more correct assumption that the humor was in the reply of there being better things to eat than the Inquisitor.

Good grief.

I'd also like to point out that written and spoken American English quite frequently have major grammatical errors that have become common parlance, and if one were to jump at every such error they come across in their everyday lives, then nothing else would ever get done.

Chill the hell out.

Or, if you prefer, start debating the correctness of the contraction "Y'all."

I love how pretty much all of the replies to this thread have focused on the assumption that the point of humor was the contraction "there're" and not the obviously more correct assumption that the humor was in the reply of there being better things to eat than the Inquisitor.

Good grief.

I'd also like to point out that written and spoken American English quite frequently have major grammatical errors that have become common parlance, and if one were to jump at every such error they come across in their everyday lives, then nothing else would ever get done.

Chill the hell out.

Or, if you prefer, start debating the correctness of the contraction "Y'all."

Y'all: Contraction of You All. Southern dialect of Coloquial American English. Easy one. :D

So I read half the thread and want to write 'I cannae be bothered reading this' mainly because cannae is perfectly accepted and in most Scottish dictionaries.

So they put a word that isn't in the dictionary in a dialogue option, so what? As has been mentioned it is a dialogue option, outta isn't a real word yet it's perfectly acceptable in books where characters are speaking.

Everyone that doesn't like it, I now expect, no demand you speak in only recognized English words, no alterations. You also must use full words in text messages, no more short hand.