Did the death of SWG(& other MMOs) effect TOR?

Jydo-Law

Is it healthy for the MMO industry as whole when a MMO dies? No F2P just dead. All time, toons, friends gone forever.......

Not that I had played SWG in over 3 years. But I had a HUGE amount of hrs and good/bad times spent in that Universe.

And not just SWG. Other MMOs I enjoyed have died too. E&B, and Shadowbane also shut down MMOs.

Some of you may say good ridance to all these titles. But what worries me is here is "trend". The more MMOs that are just shut down and don't go F2P might create a "detachment" between ppl and their toons right from creation, it's human nature. I mean if the game doesn't do well and LA or said company is just gonna bail.........errp?

Thoughts?

I think it was probably a condition of EA's deal with LA that there there not be a competing MMO in the Star Wars universe... so I believe the death of SWG was a direct result of the rise of TOR. SWG could have continued trundling along making a small income for SOE and LA, but LA wanted the people to move to TOR.

Other failed MMOs... I don't think it's really relateable. And there haven't been many big name games fail. Tabula Rasa and The Matrix Online are the only ones that stand out to me.

Trend? Are you serious? The VAST majority of MMOs stay open. I'd hardly call a half dozen closures out of the 50+ or so MMOs out there a 'trend.'

The only trend is the seemingly ever-increasing baseless doom and gloom that is spread around here.

There using that as an excuse not to fix this game . With the 1.2 patch being delayed i think the loss of subs will get the attention of the financial dept. And they will put more into making this game better. The loss of subs is not good. Especially when the competition is coming out with new stuff. Why not put more effort into fixing this game?

There using that as an excuse not to fix this game . With the 1.2 patch being delayed i think the loss of subs will get the attention of the financial dept. And they will put more into making this game better. The loss of subs is not good. Especially when the competition is coming out with new stuff. Why not put more effort into fixing this game?

Yes, they're using cancelled games cancelled years ago as an excuse not to rush a buggy patch that's currently on the test server into the main servers. That makes perfect sense. Your aptitude astounds me, Rastellon.