1.2 Crafting FAQ

Arovien

The source is a guildmate that had his character copied over to the PTR. He opened his character tab, looked at his augments, and said "Yep, those are different numbers." :)

I believe Zoeller meant that the current lvl 22 augments will still be "best in slot".

^^ That was how I interpreted as well. I can understand how some people misunderstood, however.

- Tier 2 endgame PvE gear can be RE to learning... orange schematics ? It was supposed to give the same gear, am I wrong ? From the patch note :

Players may now reverse engineer many endgame items to research schematics for items and mods. Tier 2 (new) endgame items can be reverse engineered, and players have a chance to learn how to craft these items up on reverse engineering them. Set Armorings do not provide schematics for crafters.

So, to make it clear, what happen if I reverse, for exemple, a Columi Head or an Exotech Gloves ? The result is an orange schematic or a schematic for exactly the same item ?

If you're RE'ing the shell, you get the shell. If you're REing the mods, you get the mods. If you're RE'ing the shell with the mods still in it... well, you're still REing the shell. The mods are just getting trashed into the void.

And the purple tier 2 endgame items with mods in them are just fancy purple colored orange items that come with mods already in them. Now, if you're RE'ing a tier 2 endgame item that ISN'T just a shell? I seem to remember a quote that strongly insinuated you could learn the schematic to make that actual item.

Armormechs/synthweavers don't craft mods. It's *extremely* unlikely they'd completely destroy cybertech by allowing the armor skills to craft mods by way of crafting stuff with mods already in them.

The source is a guildmate that had his character copied over to the PTR. He opened his character tab, looked at his augments, and said "Yep, those are different numbers." :)

I believe Zoeller meant that the current lvl 22 augments will still be "best in slot".

Thanks for the clarification :) ... I appreciate your help!

I can't locate it again but I'm sure the dev blog said upgrades can be freely moved from one piece of gear to another which I took to mean extraction would have no cost to then RE the mods - can anyone else remember seeing it?

I can't locate it again but I'm sure the dev blog said upgrades can be freely moved from one piece of gear to another which I took to mean extraction would have no cost to then RE the mods - can anyone else remember seeing it?

You will have to pay to get those mods moved. And quite abit too.

To add...

Base augment schematics (green) will come from slicing missions. The respective augment crafting trades will use the RE process to learn prototype and artifact versions. Slicing missions will also provide the raw mats required to craft prototype and artifact augments.

Also below is a snippet from the dev Q&A last week, which provides a few more details on the changes, and says to me says existing orange gear will not provide schematics on an RE, only new gear will provide schematics (last paragraph):

Reverse Engineering has also received considerable improvements with Game Update 1.2.

For one, when attempting to reverse engineer an item (for which you indeed need the appropriate profession) you will now be able to see in the item tooltip what your chance to successfully reverse engineer a new schematic is (or if such a chance exists at all).

Many of the new end game items (and end game items going forward) can be reverse engineered to learn schematics based on the original item:

Reverse engineering an item with mods leads to empty orange equivalents of the end game items. This can be done after the mods are extracted and used in a different item!

The item you learn to create is commonly Bind on Equip, as we want to encourage a more lively market on the Galactic Trade Network.

Many different mods can now be reverse engineered which will grant you a schematic to craft that mod. (This is not possible on armoring that carry a set bonus.)

Reverse engineering non-modded items usually leads to a schematic for an equivalent item.

Reverse engineering an end game item also provides materials needed to craft these items. Operations materials are also Bind on Equip now, creating a more diverse market.

A crafting critical on these schematics will usually lead to an augment slot. For item mods, it results in an extra item.

Effectively, this means you can sell nearly full end game items (including augment slots on a critical success) one component at a time. However, doing so requires a significant upfront investment, it’s certainly not easy. This also means every profession now benefits from Reverse Engineering and can trade items.

Armormech produces certain Augments, Augmented Tech Armor

Armstech produces certain Augments, Augmented Weapons

Artifice produces Color Crystals, Enhancements, Augmented Shields and Relics

Biochem produces Augmented Implants

Cybertech produces Mods and Augmented Earpieces

Synthweaving produces certain Augments, Augmented Force Armor

Augment schematics (green) are found via Slicing missions and blue and purple variants of these augments can be researched via reverse engineering by the appropriate crafters. It is not possible to reverse engineer legacy augments obtained from slicing before the game update arrives, however. These are technically different items.

Because we do not want players to gamble with reverse engineering custom appearances (orange items) which are often unique quest rewards, the schematics for these items are obtained via mission discoveries for various gathering skills and are set to Bind on Equip to encourage active trading.

Edited by DawnAskham

• 2 weeks later...
Is it just me or does the new craftable augments system mean a person would need 4 crew skills to fulfill the potential of his craft? I mean, because Slicing is the only source of augment schematics and materials. Sure, you can buy them, just like you can buy them for any craft, so technically you don't ever "need" any gathering or mission skills. But I'm just saying I think it would be better if I could gather and/or quest for everything in my chosen craft, without having to rely on the (pathetically small and mainly useless on my low-population server) GTN.