Can't decide...

Matters

I am currently lvl 20 on my Sentinel but I can't decide to either go Combat or Watchman. I have read many posts but none are really cut and dry the basics and benefits of either spec.

I started with Combat as most people would have due to the fact its actually easier to play (IMO) however the cost of the moves you need to do out weight the value of it until higher levels.

Watchman all round is just better (currently until 1.2 where all specs are pretty even). being able to self heal and group heal plus having heroic moments (when needed) means down time is pretty small, also if you run with T7 and keep him geared life is just easy.

Personally run with watchman, its a harder spec to get right but currently wouldnt even consider changing it.

Watchman IMO. Combat can be fun, and getting some buffs to make it more inline with Watch, but WM outshines and has better survivability atm.

Little harder then combat, but they are all relatively easy once you learn your priority's and how to react quickly to whats going on around you.

I am currently lvl 20 on my Sentinel but I can't decide to either go Combat or Watchman. I have read many posts but none are really cut and dry the basics and benefits of either spec.

All of the Sent trees feel a bit undercooked at 20, but Watchman is an easier tree for PvE at that level. As you level and get access to more abilities, Combat becomes more viable but I know a lot of Sents who find that the self-heals they get through Watchman give them a safety margin so that they feel more rounded and less of a "glass cannon" than they do under Combat.

As others have said Sentinals don't really shine until later levels regardless of spec.

One thing I will say though is be sure to try things out for yourself. I was told Watchman was the way to go, but couldn't really get my head around it. I was going to quit my Sentinal but tried Combat and love it. I know on paper Watchman is better, but Combat suits me more.

Now I'm more comfortable with my Sentinal I might give Watchman a go, but I'm glad I gave Combat a look. I'm not too experienced with MDPS though, so that may have been a factor.

Well, I only really have experience with Watchman. Here are it's shining points IMO:

-It can make Force Leap usable at point-blank range, which makes it a decent interrupt.

-It grants Overload Saber, which is devastating when combined with Master Strike and Cauterize.

-It can reduce the cooldown time of Pacify, which is an important stat at higher levels.

-At level 40, with enough points in Watchman, you can train Merciless Slash, a powerful damage dealer that can reduce it's own cooldown.

Those are the high points in my opinion, but there are plenty more features in it. It works best with Juyo form. However, Combat looks pretty good when i take a nice look at it, and Focus has some great abilities in it. I can't speak about them from experience, however.

at level 20 I played combat till 30. At those low levels I didn't like dots. Watchman prior to level 40 just felt like it had no big hit. But my 2 cents, play either one till 40, no huge bump either way, just don't go near focus until 40. Without force exhaustion that tree is pointless.

Well. Everybody said "go watchman", so naturally I picked combat.

You see, I'm not like you bourgeoisie; wearing clothes and living in houses or roofed structures. The sign of a sellout.

I live on the edge. I'm a very edgy person. I walk sideways, I don't have ******s. it's more aerodynamic.

You see, I'm not like you bourgeoisie; wearing clothes and living in houses or roofed structures. The sign of a sellout.

I live on the edge. I'm a very edgy person. I walk sideways, I don't have ******s. it's more aerodynamic.

If that's really the case, make a hybrid build and really go against the grain.

my experience: combat gives you nothing at 20, it gives you a new saber form which is useless without all the other 10 talents that make it powerful.

watchmen gives you a damage ability.

You actually LOSE damage at level 20 in Combat. If you swap to Ataru, you no longer get the +10% damage boost to every attack from juyo, instead you occasionally get an extra low damage proc.

As much as I like Combat (it is my perferred spec, and I play it heavily) for leveling purposes Watchman is the most painless way to go. Ive leveled 1-50 on combat, 1-50 on watchman, and have a maurader going 1-50 on focus. And no matter which you plan to use at endgame I really cant reccomend Watchman enough for leveling purposes. Combat has trouble leveling because you need the top boxes to make the middle teir function, and you end up spending a lot of points in ways that dont matter for PVE/leveling such as extra roots, faster footspeed, and extended range on pacify. These thigns are great in pvp, but while youre chipping through your leveling planets many of these boxes arent really contributing.

0/0/0 Sentinel with one saber, everyone else is a sellout