The Best View in SWTOR contest has returned! ×

I'm disappointed in 1 thing

Cryalis

Environment!

You nailed the story-telling, I think some parts are excellent.

You nailed the music, obviously.

You nailed the special effect sounds.

You nailed the art.

But I'm not immersed because I'm playing on a painting. No movement in the sky, no changing weather patterns, or going light to dark.

I hate to bring up the elephant in the room. But I was a serious WoW player for 5 years. A big part of what sucked me in was the feeling of immersion from the changing environment.

Seeing areas from different perspectives.

I've leveled a trooper to 50 and am not leveling a JK in the low 30s and the game is 3 months old. It just doesn't feel live and I'm not drawn to it like the elephant.

Not leaving yet, just disappointed.

I hear you, I think it should play night and day also. Once you hit 50 its pretty much over. The space combat is terrible, And the pvp is so unbalanced. ever wonder why theres always more empire players than republic players? because the battlemaster gear looks so much better on the empire side. if the remade the gear to look better than the Imp side it wont be long till they see more Pubs than Imps.

in every mmorpg i played so far, i had tons of differtent toons and i spent a lot of time twinking them.

sad that bioware / ea didnt invest more time / $$ in the environment (a world that really feels "alive"?!) or different leveling-zones. once you hit 50 its over (my opinion). so long i hadnt the motivation to level any characters over level 20.. beside my mainchar. its so exhausting and boring to do the identical quests / dialogues / routes... shame on bw, that they wasted so much potential! the legacy-system will not change anything..

Edited by Elfstrom

in every mmorpg i played so far, i had tons of differtent toons and i spent a lot of time twinking them.

sad that bioware / ea didnt invest more time / $$ in the environment (a world that really feels "alive"?!) or different leveling-zones. once you hit 50 its over (my opinion). so long i hadnt the motivation to level any characters over level 20.. beside my mainchar. its so exhausting and boring to do the identical quests / dialogues / routes... shame on bw, that they wasted so much potential! the legacy-system will not change anything..

:rolleyes:

The Legacy system is a HUGE part of what will separate this MMO from the rest. In fact, it'll fix this "its so exhausting and boring to do the identical quests / dialogues / routes" issue, by giving alts more XP for completing their unique storyline instead of the same grindy quests. It'll also give more XP for PvP on alts.

So, saying the Legacy system won't change anything is just blatantly incorrect.

its not just weather either, look at WoW and how you progress at points and world advances with you via phasing. I know are some hate phasing BUT seriously... did make world look alive! now GW2 gets it...the dynamic quests in that are awesome! and how questing should be done!

Bioware has not once(as far as I know) ever been able to make a game with open environments, or night/day cycle. At most they can fake it like DA2, Im convinced some of the higher-up devs have something against the movement of the sun!

After having seen both daytime-Taris and nighttime-Taris, it is a little disappointing that its static. I mean theyre making a bunch of different worlds and it would have been really interesting to see what their art team could do with different suns and atmosphere effects, but alas...

Not that it pisses me off, but it certain bugs the hell out of me when I think about it.

Edited by Achromatis

This was brought up during the guild summit. I agree that the environments do feel kind of lifeless, and Daniel Erickson said they'll be making the environments feel more alive, adding more "moving parts."

I hope those "moving parts" don't mean more fighter spacecraft flying around... I would rather have stale worlds than more of those as they completely break the immersion for me...

The first time I got on Belsavis I saw the turrets firing and the fighters flying in the air above and was really immersed like it was a battle or something... Then one was flying right above the rooftops in front of me and it just destroyed the entire moment... It was traveling so freaking slow that it made no sense... Then out of nowhere it did like some lateral 8000g 90 degree upwards diagonal turn that like flipped the craft over and then it zoomed off slowly in another straight line...

I was like:

wut.jpg

I hope those "moving parts" don't mean more fighter spacecraft flying around... I would rather have stale worlds than more of those as they completely break the immersion for me...

The first time I got on Belsavis I saw the turrets firing and the fighters flying in the air above and was really immersed like it was a battle or something... Then one was flying right above the rooftops in front of me and it just destroyed the entire moment... It was traveling so freaking slow that it made no sense... Then out of nowhere it did like some lateral 8000g 90 degree upwards diagonal turn that like flipped the craft over and then it zoomed off slowly in another straight line...

I was like:

wut.jpg

LOL I know what you mean. He said there'll be more moving parts "everywhere." So I think that'll include touching some things up like that as well XD

But I'm not immersed because I'm playing on a painting. No movement in the sky, no changing weather patterns, or going light to dark.

Well, you are correct on no light/dark changes from day to night, but the other claims are bogus.

Example: I was just on Dromund Kass this morning and the weather was changable (as it usually is) with periodic rain showers, and the skys were cloudy with random lightning storms all around. Quite immersive actually, but not to the point of being annoying as it is in some MMOs.

wait, another post sidetracked by trolling?

I think the environment would benefit wonders from time cycles, seasons, etc. More atmosphere is needed.

Heck, even the basic light levels changing as the sun goes down would be easy to do if they have lightmaps in game, and everything isn't static.... ohhhhh

nm... it probably is with this engine. I didn't think about that.

Hey folks, ignore the troll. He's bored, and instigating peeps to amuse himself. best way to take care of a troll is to not respond.

On the topic...I was suprised on the PTR when i left the sith temple on korriban, and the sun was in a different position! i was almost excited...until I realized that it was still static...just in a different place. guess they didn't want all those new sith blinded coming out of the temple.

So, sounds like the are aware of the environment, and some of the issues revolving around it. I wonder if they just don't see it as technically cost effective at this point in the game development....I wish it was. I sort of like questing for a few hours, and notice that the sun is lower on the horizon.

Hey everyone!

We've removed some posts from here and would like to state why. Posts that are not on-topic, constructive or respectful to other community members are removed. Please be sure that when posting, you follow these basic guidelines. While it's okay to disagree with one another, please be sure to argue the topic and not each other!

Please also remember that when fellow community members do not follow the Rules of Conduct, to report their posts. In the top right-hand corner of each post is a Flag button, which will report the post to the Community Team for investigation.

We appreciate your understanding that we've posts from this thread. Thank you!

Not leaving yet, just disappointed.

Give it time... you might like it more after a while ;)

Edit: LOL! when I typed "Give it time..." it was deleted. When I expounded to make it sound like brown nosing, it was allowed to live. Nope, you're not deleting posts based on nature of content or anything... ;)

Edited by shepardcomander

its not just weather either, look at WoW and how you progress at points and world advances with you via phasing. I know are some hate phasing BUT seriously... did make world look alive! now GW2 gets it...the dynamic quests in that are awesome! and how questing should be done!

You do know that GW2 are just using Public Quests... it's nothing new... Warhammer Online started it and Rift copied it.... I'm sure GW2 will be more advanced model of that system but it's nothing ground breaking or new..

Edited by Monoth

You do know that GW2 are just using Public Quests... it's nothing new... Warhammer Online started it and Rift copied it.... I'm sure GW2 will be more advanced model of that system but it's nothing ground breaking or new..

tis true. On that note though, I did enjoy Warhammers world quests. and the rifting in rift was enjoyable, though it got grindy real fast. If a game could adapt it to be interesting, and profitable, but not necessarily a constant thing...could be worth checking out.

the thing that annoys me most about the environment is all the untarget-able npcs all over in some areas, if they wanted to make the worlds fell alive they should have at least created generic nameplates and made them target-able other wise they are just people shaped scenery.