Vigilance Spec Gear

Blackhaert

Coming from Focus, I have been stacking surge, some crit and endurance. What are the stats I should be using for vigil, and is there anything that could maybe increase dot dmg? Thanks! Edited by Blackhaert

You want to have a balance of Power/Crit/Surge. None is more important than the other. I'm fully BM geared currently and I have a Crit rating of 30% a surge rating of 77% and bonus damage (from power) of 400. To me, this is really the best mix of stats. My DPS has been at it's highest since I started using this set up. Having a high crit is actually VERY important for the Vigilance spec because each tick of your DOT has it's own individual chance to critically hit. All of your DOT's are also Force attacks so the Critical hit chance is actually based off of your Force Critical hit chance. Currently I have the 6% Force Critical hit increase ability that is available at the bottom of the Focus Skill tree. When I'm in a Warzone with all the class buffs my Force Critical hit chance sits at a wonderful 42%. Which means that 42% of the time my Critical hits are doing 77% more damage. I get 300k damage in warzones without even really thinking about it. I'm currently trying to break 500k damage but I don't do a good enough job of managing my relic and my adrenal so I'm currently trying to work on that.

But yeah, to sum it all up, with Vigilance it's not a matter of stacking up a single individual stat. It's more important to have a good balance of stats. All of them are important and if you lean to far in any given direction the benefit doesn't out weigh what you lose.

Coming from Focus, I have been stacking surge, some crit and endurance. What are the stats I should be using for vigil, and is there anything that could maybe increase dot dmg? Thanks!

You want some crit until about 25% chance (most of us sit at around 30%, surge is pretty easy to get at end game but you should have the soft cap of 75% minimum) then you wanna go all out on power as much as you can possibly get and don't stop.

Your DOTs can crit and that's where the extra damage comes from when you have all 3 running and critting they are more useful than they get credit for. To get the most from them remember to use Plasma Brand first if you didn't already know, that's the reason for the long DOT and short cooldown.

Surge and Power.

By the time you get good PvP gear most the items themselves will give you plenty of crit rating, 20% will suffice -- the more surge and power you got the more damage you'll do.

With Force Rush your blade storm gets a 60%+ chance to crit anyway, and with lots of surge and power you won't need that much crit when that attack is criting 60% of the time for 2.5k+ damage.

With Force Rush your blade storm gets a 60%+ chance to crit anyway, and with lots of surge and power you won't need that much crit when that attack is criting 60% of the time for 2.5k+ damage.

DOTs crit, which is why some people do 200 damage with a single application and others do 360-400. Not huge numbers but it makes a difference to our weak DOTs.

Thanks for all the replies. I'm currently almost valor rank 60 and working on Battle Master Gear, I figured I'd want to get an idea before I start slotting Mods and Enhancements.

Don't, Battlemaster is getting upgraded in 1.2 and Champion is totally gone. If you've slotted different mods then they won't get upgraded, wait till after 1.2 and then we'll all be re-addressing our stats and mods. (Or at least, save your old mods and slot them back in before 1.2).

Do people even run with the DoT talents for pvp? Seems like most drop them for the defense abilities.

The argument that they are weak aside, they are still extra damage that is mostly unmitigated outside of talents or buffs and extra damage is always welcome. Hybrid tank specs mostly don't, at least mine don't, but if I go DPS I take them.

Coming from Focus, I have been stacking surge, some crit and endurance. What are the stats I should be using for vigil, and is there anything that could maybe increase dot dmg? Thanks!

Aim for roughly 250 Surge Rating which accounts for roughly 73% Surge. Beyond that, Diminishing Returns are very harsh (77.5% Surge requires ~400 Surge Rating).

Power is your overall best PvP stat but in a PvP situation, burst from Critical hits is more important. I wouldn't stack any stat per say and simply take what you get from BM gear. Just make sure to replace Accuracy Enhancements.

Unlike Focus, Vigilance benefits from all stats.

Edited by Dee-Jay

As has been covered by many respected Vig Jedi here the main difference between Focus spec and Vigilance spec is getting your crit to about 30%. Focus doesn't require crit so they get to go ape poo on free power, aren't they lucky. :p This is one of the many reasons why Focus spec is so heavily used in Pvp. Your better off learning Vig thou as balance is ongoing.

As has been covered by many respected Vig Jedi here the main difference between Focus spec and Vigilance spec is getting your crit to about 30%. Focus doesn't require crit so they get to go ape poo on free power, aren't they lucky. :p This is one of the many reasons why Focus spec is so heavily used in Pvp. Your better off learning Vig thou as balance is ongoing.

Too be honest, I've liked focus out of the ability to Push, Stasis and Slow more often over the aoe sweep bombing. I also love force exhaustion, which recently pvping as a vig spec I have missed greatly for my needs. I also seem to have more time to taunt in focus spec, but that may just me getting used to Vigilance, it seems to be much more intensive and active on rotation.

Edited by Blackhaert

It's hard to not have about a 30% crit rate with endgame gear, add in smuggler buff and your bladestorm/execute abilities will have ~95% chance of critting.

After 250 Surge Rating I'd try not to focus on it very much, the returns you get after the soft cap vs what you could be getting from power just doesn't work as well.

Too be honest, I've liked focus out of the ability to Push, Stasis and Slow more often over the aoe sweep bombing. I also love force exhaustion, which recently pvping as a vig spec I have missed greatly for my needs. I also seem to have more time to taunt in focus spec, but that may just me getting used to Vigilance, it seems to be much more intensive and active on rotation.

O hey man, Im with ya, I defend focus, just currently spec't Vig...

The nerfs to Focus in 1.2 are

A) Uncalled for

B) see A.

Do people even run with the DoT talents for pvp? Seems like most drop them for the defense abilities.

If you want to go down all the way to get Plasma Brand, you obviously want to pick Blade Storms' and Overhead Slash's dot enhancements as well.

If you are playing either 14/27 or a variation of 3/27/11 you just take the fancy utility stuff of Vigilance, leaving the enhancements untouched.

I tried Crit and Surge gear and it did alright but I really did a lot better with Power and Surge gear.

Level 50 gear gives you plenty of crit as it is, as long as you have 20% base crit that should be plenty. Because with Force Rush your Blade Storm will hit for a crit 60%+ of the time. And having lots of surge and power will make the crit damage multiplier really high.

The only problem is that a lot of gear has accuracy enhancements in them. You're going to need to take those out, and it will be necessary to have the Accuracy talent because of this. Having all that accuracy means you will hit more often sure, but from my experience taking them all out and opting for a 100% base accuracy and having all my gear stacked in Adept Enhancements taken from the Champ Enforcer gloves (Smuggler gear) I do way more damage and still hit when I need to.

A lot of people say that accuracy is a worthless talent because you get plenty of it in PvP gear. That much is true, but stacking that much accuracy to the point where you have like 109% hurts your damage in the long run in my experience. Take those enhancements out, put 3 points in accuracy and have a 100% base accuracy rating. Accuracy is important to the point that you don't want Overhead Slash and Sunder missing. OS is your best attack, and without sunder hitting you can't use Plasma Brand and their armor isn't debuffed.

Stack power and surge. And to follow up on what some else said, yeah take your DoT talents, no reason not to since Vigil specs really don't have many more talents that are better available to them.. With them all running together plus throwing someone in a stasis you can cook them helplessly in assuming you get them to break their CC breaker with Awe at the start of the fight, which I always do and they usually blow it.

Edited by bamsmacked

It's hard to not have about a 30% crit rate with endgame gear, add in smuggler buff and your bladestorm/execute abilities will have ~95% chance of critting.

After 250 Surge Rating I'd try not to focus on it very much, the returns you get after the soft cap vs what you could be getting from power just doesn't work as well.

Are you referring to PvP end game gear or PvE?

Yeah it's easy to get 30% crit rate after the appropriate buffs, but I'm talking about base crit rating. All you will really need is 20.

I think when I was in full champion putting in Assault Enhancements (I think) I had around 28% crit rate baseline.

I've actually been experimenting with the current hybrid build - http://www.torhead.com/skill-calc#500crhf0zZhRrMrhdzM.1 -, and I find it to have great utility, cc resistance, and survivability in sorensu form. I am really thinking about something near this build in 1.2 replacing Command with Stasis, being in tier 4 now, and the increase dmg of Master Strike. I ran this build of course with my full crit, surge and power and a generator that I was running for my Focus build.