Clicking snipe should just auto crouch

oceansofmars

Its pretty stupid that you cant just click a cover related ability and have your char auto ceouch.

Rolling to cover should just be taken right out of the game as well as the defense bonus which only works against other snipers.

It is pretty funny to think how awesome and easy it would be to have players come up with fixes....

I'm still of the mind that they need to either significantly improve the defensive bonuses you receive from cover (and I do mean significantly - increased armor, both melee and ranged defense chance, increased tech and force resistance as well), or they need to remove the cover requirement from all of our primary abilities (really, cover should only be required for abilities like entrench and cover pulse).

The problem right now is that in both pvp and pve, we're useless outside of cover, and when in cover we're extremely vulnerable. A 20% ranged defense bonus (which is half of what most tanks have while they remain mobile) in exchange for being rooted just doesnt work out - it makes you much more vulnerable to melee opponents and the defense bonus provides no protection against commandos/mercenaries or sages/sorcerors because it doesnt apply against force or tech attacks.

The way I see it, cover should be changed to something like this:

Crouch (portable cover):

Allows the use of cover-only abilities

Increases ranged defense(dodge) chance by 20%

Increases force and tech damage resistance by 10%

Take Cover (natural cover):

Allows the use of cover-only abilities

Increases ranged defense(dodge) chance by 20%

Increases melee defense(dodge) chance by 20%

Increases Armor Rating by 50%

Increases force and tech damage resistance by 20%

Additionally, I still think that we should have either a talent or an ability which gives a psuedo-stealth effect when in natural cover (not when in portable cover/crouch), only usable out of combat and giving a slight damage bonus to your first ambush or snipe.

Natural cover should also provide different visual effects when using abilities like cover pulse and entrench. Entrench should change it's effects based on the type of cover you're in as well - right now it provides immunity to control effects, which is fine for portable cover, but when using natural cover it should provide additional armor and damage resistance bonuses as well.

They also need to get around to fixing ballistic dampeners, ballistic shield, and entrench when used with natural cover (currently they only last 1 second instead of their full duration while in natural cover).

Edited by Tenacity

You only gain snap shot upon entering cover, this would cause you to begin casting a snipe and in all likelihood consume the snap shot buff after the cast time.

I enter cover subconsciously and start to panic when someone uses a move that blocks me from entering cover because I'm so accustomed to popping in and out of it without having to think.

Honestly people complaining about this are just plain lazy as cover doesn't give you a gcd and every time you enter it it gives you a free snipe and 30% damage reduction on the next 3 hits. The sniper also has a ludicrous amount of cc *if used well* where I'm just plain impressed and have way more fun on my sniper than my sorc.

The difference between those characters is my sniper actually requires thought and effort, smart move placement etc etc in order to win fights whereas my sorc is pretty much stupid proof and noob friendly. On my sorc I just jam the pretty buttons and everyone goes away, where my sniper actually rewards skill and slams my mistakes right back at me.

Que: someone to completely disagree and claim snipers still broken even though its far from it.

Edited by Shecrazy

Cover is fine. It doesn't cost a global cooldown, so makes no difference. It just makes you immobile while casting, and seeing as you can't cast while moving doesn't make a blind bit of difference.

Sorcs have to stand still when they cast lightning strike and force lightning too (but they don't get increased ranged defense!). You'll also find that Cover stops people charging and grappling you, which is great! And you also can't be interrupted while in cover.

So, in conclusion, you have the same limitations as a normal caster (the only limitation = immobility) and the added immunity to interrupts, grapples and charges, with a sneaky bit of ranged defense too. And the only downside is that other marksman snipers (or the gunslinger equivalent) can knock you out of cover (very) temporarily.

Edited by VampireGranny

false...gotta use hunker down while in cover for those bene's

No, you are always immune to leaps and pulls in cover, and you are immune to any interrupt. He didn't say stun, knockback, blind or any other CC which is what Hunker Down/Entrench protects from.

I enter cover subconsciously and start to panic when someone uses a move that blocks me from entering cover because I'm so accustomed to popping in and out of it without having to think.

Same here. Patch 1.2 will be nice because non-stun roots will no longer prevent us from entering cover and that "cover integrity" mechanic which also prevent us from getting into cover will also be gone. That's a big difference in allowing us to get into defensive mode and then bring the DPS. Right now it sucks to be stuck there trying to get into cover under either of those circumstances.

Cover is fine. It doesn't cost a global cooldown, so makes no difference.

Sometimes it does cost a GCD, just like sometimes our interrupt does, or Laze Target. It shouldn't, but at times it does :(

"cover integrity"
almost never comes up. I don't think most people on the boards understand what it is, so probably almost all snipers don't understand what it is. Edited by psi_overtake

Sometimes it does cost a GCD, just like sometimes our interrupt does, or Laze Target. It shouldn't, but at times it does :(

Take Cover does, but crouch doesn't. Either way, that GCD is false. Try hitting an ability, it will reset the GCD. That's a visual glitch, not a mechanical glitch.

Take Cover does, but crouch doesn't. Either way, that GCD is false. Try hitting an ability, it will reset the GCD. That's a visual glitch, not a mechanical glitch.

I use the portable cover ability 100% of the time and have noticed it on occasion. I've also tried to cast while the visual is showing GCD and it indeed does not cast as long as the animation is showing GCD.

Yeah, 'cause being able to perform to the same standard as any other ranged class while being immune to charges, grapples and interrupts needs buffing.

pretty much agree.

Cover is great, but if you dont like it, there is always lethality

Yeah, 'cause being able to perform to the same standard as any other ranged class while being immune to charges, grapples and interrupts needs buffing.

Right, because Sorcs need to be in a special stance that generates real-time server delay to get into to cast half their abilities, and we have a great bubble, a ranged stun that doesn't break on damage, and can sprint away quickly.

Oh wait, this isn't true at all! My mistake. Glad you were being sarcastic about your sarcasm ;)

Rolling to cover should just be taken right out of the game as well as the defense bonus which only works against other snipers.

NO. You don't understand how to properly use this to reposition, being able to roll from level to level or across the arena has saved me countless times. As it is with being able to bind roll and crouch to two separate buttons is great.

This is what separates levels of play on sniper and is something needed.

Accuracy bonus, say 10% in cover, is something I could definitely get behind.

Edited by Lithy

Quoting myself for more people to see my infinite sarcastic wisdom.

Well, sorcerers can cast, run to side for 2 seconds, cast again.

You enter cover, gain balistic dampers, cast, run.. WHOOPS NO BALISTIC DAMPERS for 5 seconds, now you take 30% more damage from random aoe, two or more Grav Rounds.

Still, not getting charged/grappled outweights being immobile, I agree.