Playable droids! I want them!

Varnast

You don't have to be on high ranks in the Empire or Republic. You could be in the Annihilator Network for example. Or the Shadow Syndicate.

As for Empire or Republic you can be companion to a powerful sith or Jedi but having your own story in which your jedi companion helps you etc.

the story itself puts you in high positions of power within the empire. as i said the current stories wouldnt make sense with you being a droid. which is why this is unlikely at best. this is all besides the fact that the current kick seems to be all races allowed for all classes and this automatically shuts out half of them.

the story itself puts you in high positions of power within the empire. as i said the current stories wouldnt make sense with you being a droid. which is why this is unlikely at best. this is all besides the fact that the current kick seems to be all races allowed for all classes and this automatically shuts out half of them.

The existing classes' story lines you mean.

That's why I said in the beginning that it needs a separate storyline for this. A new class-race pack on its own.

Edited by Varnast

Droids as class or species won't happen.

Problems in general:

1. They need their own gear, so bioWare would have to put much more droid gear into the game (currently it's just a little for some companions).

2. No romances.

3. The should not be cabable of doing the Jedi/Sith class buffs, since they are not conected to the force (but with the upcoming lagacy system they could do that). The same goes for Force user heroic moments.

4. Many NPCs would need to have new dialogue options, since droids are treated very poorly in the galaxy (even worse than slaves).

5. Droid gear does so far nothing with the apperiance of the character, but the progress of how characters look is part of the RPG experience.

Problems with droid as a class:

1. They would need their own class story (and since droids have no inherent theme like the other proficiencies it might end up quite shallow).

2. What class buff could they have? It should be something nice to have around and it should be not weaker than the class buff which are curently in the game (that's a problem every class in the future will have).

3. They would to have their own heroic moment that other characters can later use.

4. Their species selection would have to made just for this class.

Probems with droids as species:

1. When one get a droid to 50 and opens droids up for other classes it could lead to droids who are jedi or sith, which is not possible since they can't use the force.

Edited by Drudenfusz

This was something i asked for in beta R2-D2 wasn't a pet he went on his own missions however Bioware is only smart enough to make human clones so you will never see any playable races that aren't almost exactly like humans. You might see Mon Calamari, or Gungan or some stuff, but nothing exotic like Wookie or anything else.

This was something i asked for in beta R2-D2 wasn't a pet he went on his own missions however Bioware is only smart enough to make human clones so you will never see any playable races that aren't almost exactly like humans. You might see Mon Calamari, or Gungan or some stuff, but nothing exotic like Wookie or anything else.

would you please expand on your argument as how bioware isnt smart enough? since every reason they have given as to why they put those particular strictures on races are both logical and practical, something this suggestion and the vast majority of reasons "for" this are not.

The existing classes' story lines you mean.

That's why I said in the beginning that it needs a separate storyline for this. A new class-race pack on its own.

This is the very reason it most likely wouldnt happen any time soon.

The only possible way I see this happening is if they opened it up as just a playable race open only to non force using classes and following the same story as the reg class.

OR

Created multiple droid "races" opened those races up to just the non force user classes, and added a whole new class with a whole new story.

The second idea requires ALOT of work. Scripting, designing, voicing, programming, balancing, engineering, creating new gear and weapons suitable to the class. Its a large undertaking that would most likely only be viable as an expansion.

Droids as class or species won't happen.

*shrug* Might happen, never know.

Problems in general:

1. They need their own gear, so Bioware would have to put much more droid gear into the game (currently it's just a little for some companions).

They actually wouldn't as the droid parts are available from vendors on a lot of the planets, and they are mostly moddable. They wouldn't need armor skins as droids don't wear armor, just the various inner pieces like the Cores, Motors, Parts and the Sensor. Also, since the parts are moddable they can use all of the current mods in the game.

2. No romances.

Maybe not, but those who want to play a droid would know ahead of time they wouldn't have romance options.

3. The should not be capable of doing the Jedi/Sith class buffs, since they are not connected to the force (but with the upcoming legacy system they could do that). The same goes for Force user heroic moments.

*shrug* Maybe they could call it something else for the Droids, but I see your point.

4. Many NPCs would need to have new dialogue options, since droids are treated very poorly in the galaxy (even worse than slaves).

Probably, but they could make the additions to the dialogue trees, VO work and Droid implementation at the same time. Either way, this isn't something I'd expect to see for a long time, but I can dream! :p

5. Droid gear does so far nothing with the appearance of the character, but the progress of how characters look is part of the RPG experience.

That's just like some of the companions don't change appearance with gear, either. Blizz, the Jawa, just looks the same all the time, Skadge doesn't show head gear, and Gault sometimes shows a hood and other times nothing. I think it's acceptable because you would probably be able to customize how your droid looked in the beginning.

Problems with droid as a class:

1. They would need their own class story (and since droids have no inherent theme like the other proficiencies it might end up quite shallow).

2. What class buff could they have? It should be something nice to have around and it should be not weaker than the class buff which are currently in the game (that's a problem every class in the future will have).

3. They would to have their own heroic moment that other characters can later use.

4. Their species selection would have to made just for this class.

Problems with droids as species:

1. When one get a droid to 50 and opens droids up for other classes it could lead to droids who are Jedi or Sith, which is not possible since they can't use the force.

I don't think they should be a class, but classified as a species that is restricted to non-Force using classes regardless, and Heroic Abilities renamed to make sense coming from a Droid. There could be different models for the Empire and the Republic that could be unlocked for the other side via the Legacy unlocks and/or as a Legacy unlock to play the non-Force using classes as a Droid.

I do think you made some good points though.

Edited by terminova

*shrug* Might happen, never know.

Yes, we do know. BW has explicitly said no races will be added that fail the Princess Leia test, ie "Would you see this race kissing Princess Leia?"

No Wookies, Trandosians, Rodians, etc. No droids.

Ever.

Yes, we do know. BW has explicitly said no races will be added that fail the Princess Leia test, ie "Would you see this race kissing Princess Leia?"

No Wookies, Trandosians, Rodians, etc. No droids.

Ever.

You obviously have not encountered anyone with the sick imagination that I possess, besides Jabba the freakin Hutt licked her or came close to it, god only knows what went on there.

Edited by Tuscad

i only like using lightsaber classes so i'd want something like general grevious he was ****** with lightsaber but he couldnt use the force

As I understand it, Grevious was not a droid but a cyborg. Thus, he was a force user.

As I understand it, Grevious was not a droid but a cyborg. Thus, he was a force user.

You are correct about him being a cyborg, but Grievous was not a force user, in fact he was so bad at wielding lightsabers that he would cut off his cybernetic hands many times. It took him a lot of practice to be able to wield the lightsabers properly.

• 4 weeks later...
*fires EMP*

*watches you fall down*

Yeah, that totally doesn't limit you at PvP......

Umm I've yet to see the "EMP" skill in game yet. Also with SW tech level you'd think most droids would have shielding from EMPs... unless its that awsome ion cannon in Ep.5

However...

*Droid fires High Intensity Radiation Gun aka HIRG*

*watches your meaty flesh burn off your bones*

So see it goes both ways...

Umm I've yet to see the "EMP" skill in game yet. Also with SW tech level you'd think most droids would have shielding from EMPs... unless its that awsome ion cannon in Ep.5

However...

*Droid fires High Intensity Radiation Gun aka HIRG*

*watches your meaty flesh burn off your bones*

So see it goes both ways...

*deflects with hands*

Pew pew pew!

WONDER WOMAN!

Heh heh heh. Like Darth Stewie.

Edited by Darth_Moonshadow