The Best View in SWTOR contest has returned! ×

About Karen Traviss Hate...

Tarbacca

its up for interpretation but the generally accepted meaning is that its about Luke becoming a Jedi ...considering that "Uncle George" didn't decide that the movies were about Darth Vader until he made the prequels

Ah, but then all it takes is George saying "All the movies were about Anakin". The Lucas Has Spoken And It Is So, and all that. Hell, his rewrites of history are bad enough sometimes. Changing stuff we've known for years into something else. I know this example has been done to death, but it's the most obvious one. Went from "Han shot" to "Han shot first" to "Greedo shot first".

I still think it was funny when Sir Alec Guinness in A New Hope flubbed Chewie's name and called him Chewbassa. They also re-edited it finally so it sounds right and not a line flub that the Editing Department missed in Post. :D

• Replies 151
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

its up for interpretation but the generally accepted meaning is that its about Luke becoming a Jedi ...considering that "Uncle George" didn't decide that the movies were about Darth Vader until he made the prequels

People also thought that Earth was flat.

People also thought that Earth was the centre of the universe.

Come on, it's called evolution, not physical evolution, but thoughts and ideas, stories and the like growing, changing, adapting. Humans began as cavemen, going by the logic "Whatever it starts as is best and any changes are blasphemy" crap that OT fans spew out, we should still be hunched and bashing each other with wooden clubs.

Star Wars, George Lucas' story, is about Anakin Skywalker, no one else.

Ah, but then all it takes is George saying "All the movies were about Anakin". The Lucas Has Spoken And It Is So, and all that. Hell, his rewrites of history are bad enough sometimes. Changing stuff we've known for years into something else. I know this example has been done to death, but it's the most obvious one. Went from "Han shot" to "Han shot first" to "Greedo shot first".

yeah but Han didnt shoot first, he just shot . Shooting first implies more than one shot , there was only the one . Which at the time showed Han as a character that would do anything to protect himself , even murder (kind of the guy was going to kill him after all), when George changed that he screwed up Han's story of redpemtion IMO

yeah but Han didnt shoot first, he just shot . Shooting first implies more than one shot , there was only the one . Which at the time showed Han as a character that would do anything to protect himself , even murder (kind of the guy was going to kill him after all), when George changed that he screwed up Han's story of redpemtion IMO

He also killed one of the coolest scenes in the entire movie.

You see people hosing blaster bolts at each other and only randomly hitting people throughout the entire series, that is one of the very few moments that you see a perfect shot.

Read it again. I SAID first was just "HAN SHOT". He shot first and last, and only fired one round. I know it, and you know it. Then George's first rewrite had Greedo getting a reaction shot off. The SECOND and latest rewrite was the "Greedo shot first" version. Apologies if I was too vague the first time.

Well, as favorite character killers go she's the worst.

I was pissed off at R.A Salvatore for killing Chewie, but I got over it seeing how good Han Solo is as a solo character, even though he tends to get saddled with a new sidekick every 5 minutes...

She offed Mara Jade.

Nuff' said.

What is it with people that they don't realize that none of the authors makes these decisions in a vacuum? The entire team of writers was consulted, the editing team at Lucas publishing was consulted, and in the case of Chewbacca Lucas himself was consulted. These decisions don't get made in a vacuum. Instead the authors step up and volunteer for the really hard sections of the saga. That's right, when everyone looked back at the flak R.A. Salvatore received for "killing" Chewie and nobody wanted to to deal with it for "killing" Mara, Karen Traviss stepped up and said, "I'll handle it." The truth is that all of the Star Wars books are outlined out by committees of authors and editors. No author is solely responsible for anything you read in them. The closest thing to a fully independent author for the Star Wars books is Timothy Zahn, and even he routinely mentions that he consults closely with the editors at Lucas publishing.

As for her work on the Mandalorians, it was all read and approved before hand by Lucas publishing. Then the Clone Wars comes out and changes all of the lore regarding them by adding a democratically elected princess who, until that season, never existed in any lore. Traviss refused to change what she did to match a cartoon series, and was honestly justified in doing so. Imagine if you were her for a second and Lucas publishing came to you and said, "Well we're totally re-doing the Mandalorians for a kid's cartoon and you need to change everything we originally approved and have already published." I don't know about you guys, but I would have the self-respect to refuse as well.

What is it with people that they don't realize that none of the authors makes these decisions in a vacuum? The entire team of writers was consulted, the editing team at Lucas publishing was consulted, and in the case of Chewbacca Lucas himself was consulted. These decisions don't get made in a vacuum. Instead the authors step up and volunteer for the really hard sections of the saga. That's right, when everyone looked back at the flak R.A. Salvatore received for "killing" Chewie and nobody wanted to to deal with it for "killing" Mara, Karen Traviss stepped up and said, "I'll handle it." The truth is that all of the Star Wars books are outlined out by committees of authors and editors. No author is solely responsible for anything you read in them. The closest thing to a fully independent author for the Star Wars books is Timothy Zahn, and even he routinely mentions that he consults closely with the editors at Lucas publishing.

As for her work on the Mandalorians, it was all read and approved before hand by Lucas publishing. Then the Clone Wars comes out and changes all of the lore regarding them by adding a democratically elected princess who, until that season, never existed in any lore. Traviss refused to change what she did to match a cartoon series, and was honestly justified in doing so. Imagine if you were her for a second and Lucas publishing came to you and said, "Well we're totally re-doing the Mandalorians for a kid's cartoon and you need to change everything we originally approved and have already published." I don't know about you guys, but I would have the self-respect to refuse as well.

finally someone who knows what they are talking about

Edited by JaedenSyn

Ok, I highly suggest you go over to the "Status Quo Has Been Restored" thread by ProfessorWalsh and read how it really went down. If you don't want to, I can give you a synopsis right now.

Karen Traviss did NOT consult anyone on Mara Jade's death. She just decided to do it WHILE Tim Zahn was writing a Mara Jade novel that took place after the events of Sacrifice, chronologically. Also, other authors on the team were working on novels with a living Mara in them when she did that. But thanks to her, he had to scrap it, and the rest of the team had to either scrap her from their work, or write her in as a Force Ghost instead.

Don't even get me started on her Mandalorian obsession.... Let's suffice to say she was brought in as an outsider, and she had a habit of not consulting anyone else on the team as to their plans. She just did what she wanted to do with no consideration for the other members. She ended up quitting rather than letting them fire her. Because if she hadn't quit, she would have been fired.

^ The Truth , but its wasted on those who refuse to know facts .

Ok, I highly suggest you go over to the "Status Quo Has Been Restored" thread by ProfessorWalsh and read how it really went down. If you don't want to, I can give you a synopsis right now.

Karen Traviss did NOT consult anyone on Mara Jade's death. She just decided to do it WHILE Tim Zahn was writing a Mara Jade novel that took place after the events of Sacrifice, chronologically. Also, other authors on the team were working on novels with a living Mara in them when she did that. But thanks to her, he had to scrap it, and the rest of the team had to either scrap her from their work, or write her in as a Force Ghost instead.

Tim Zahn created Mara Jade , he does not own her

Drew created Revan , he does not own him

Karen worked hard on creating a lore and background of Mandos, she does not own them

^any writer TASKed can write a book today and have Revan trip over his own two feet into a meat grinder and Drew can only comment on it. ( This would not bother me , because I am able to seperate myself from characters in a book/comic/game/movie because I live in REALITY )

Unlike those on here constantly posting hate for Karen .

Mara Jade died to a Skywalker Grandkid, he was more powerful and better than her........

Surik died a Hero saving Revan from death ..........................

Chewbacca is dead and it was writen by one of the best Authors in my opinion.........

Don't even get me started on her Mandalorian obsession.... Let's suffice to say she was brought in as an outsider, and she had a habit of not consulting anyone else on the team as to their plans. She just did what she wanted to do with no consideration for the other members. She ended up quitting rather than letting them fire her. Because if she hadn't quit, she would have been fired.

The Fact that the only thing getting a small change is the Mandalorians , and it is small . I think Karen Traviss over reacted but thats me and I can understand though where she is coming from.

ProfessorWalsh is only a Professor in name , his facts are rarely backed up by Offical sites and his canon facts are often bias .

Tim Zahn wasn't consulted because he didn't need to be . If he was writing a book on her it was on his own terms and without Lucas Publishing . Karen Traviss was TASKED with killing Mara Jade , and the fact they are NOT going back on that should say alot .

Keep listening to Walsh, I personally think on my own.

R.A. Salvator is one of my favorite Authors being at one time in my life I was a BIG AD&D fan and he wrote some really good Forgotten Relms books ! StarWars fans act like entitled big babies and think they and only they should own rights to their favorite StarWars characters and what he had to deal with was outrageous . Salvator is more than likely why I defend Karen , people need to grow up and go write their own books instead of sitting around judging others on theirs . I bet after writing a StarWars Novel any troll on here would change their minds on Karen and Salvator in a heart beat , it just isn't easy and what a Writer has to deal with .

Edited by mefit

The Fact that the only thing getting a small change is the Mandalorians , and it is small . I think Karen Traviss over reacted but thats me and I can understand though where she is coming from.

ProfessorWalsh is only a Professor in name , his facts are rarely backed up by Offical sites and his canon facts are often bias .

Tim Zahn wasn't consulted because he didn't need to be . If he was writing a book on her it was on his own terms and without Lucas Publishing . Karen Traviss was TASKED with killing Mara Jade , and the fact they are NOT going back on that should say alot .

R.A. Salvator is one of my favorite Authors being at one time in my life I was a BIG AD&D fan and he wrote some really good Forgotten Relms books ! StarWars fans act like entitled big babies and think they and only they should own rights to their favorite StarWars characters and what he had to deal with was outrageous . Salvator is more than likely why I defend Karen , people need to grow up and go write their own books instead of sitting around judging others on theirs . I bet after writing a StarWars Novel any troll on here would change their minds on Karen and Salvator in a heart beat , it just isn't easy and what a Writer has to deal with .

I have to back you up! AS I understand it, there is a team at Lucasarts the fact checks and continuity checks books before release. Any time an author does changes the status of a major character, Lucasarts must give permission (or in this case tasked Traviss with the killing of the Mara character), or in the case of a G-cannon characte; they must get permission dirrectly from Lucas.

Also, Traviss was specifically hired to develope the Mandalorain culture by Lucas. THere is a selection process that every Star Wars author must go through in order to write for the SW EU. Even though Traviss was sought out and hired by Lucas, she still had to go through the process non-the-less.

Finally, let's get something straight. Karen Traviss did not write her books knowing nothig about Star Wars. The false myth that she never watched any of the movies and never read any of the books is akin to saying that a caveman was accidentally transported to our time and hotwired a car to go hide. Can't happen. The reality is that Traviss said that she had never read any of the EU novels before she was approached by Lucas. She then had to spend a couple years (time unverified) cathing up by reading novels and corosponding with the other SW EU authors.

THis was written to support Mefit (<--is that a 1980's Battle Star Gallactica reference?). Not to argue against him/her.

Just for some credible backing here:. THis is from ArronAllston.com (author of 13 SW EU novels):

Well, start with, it's not a matter of coming up with an idea for a Star Wars novel, asking for and receiving someone's permission, and then going ahead with the project. It doesn't work that way.

What happens instead is that whichever publishers currently possess the license to print Star Wars fiction — currently Del Rey and Scholastic — will, at a certain point in the year, decide how many novels they wants to print in an upcoming year. (This decision may be affected by their contract terms with Lucas; I'm not privy to details on those contracts.)

Once the publisher knows how many novels and of which type (Han/Leia/Luke, Young Adult, etc.) it wants, it decides which novelists to contact about writing them. Bantam, the previous license-holder, chose to tap writers who already have a number of science fiction and/or fantasy novels in print, the better to have an idea of their writing skills and reliability; the writers Del Rey is contracting suggests that Del Rey follows the same policy.

Writers who are contacted and are interested in writing for Star Wars generally submit proposals and outlines for the stories they'd like to write. Both the publisher and Lucas Licensing review these proposals, the former to make sure they work as fiction, the latter to make sure they work within the existing Star Wars universe.

Once a proposal is approved and the writer's contract generated, the writer writes the work. When it's done, it goes through the same approval process as the outline and proposal.

What you can deduce from this is that writing the current publisher of Star Wars fiction and saying "I'd like to write a Star Wars book" just doesn't work — unless you're already a big name in the world of SF&F writing.

So your best bet to become a Star Wars writer is to become a writer first. Write original novels; get good at your craft; get your novels into print; learn about the publishing industry.

And then you can try to maneuver yourself to fall under the gaze of the Star Wars fiction publishers.

That may be discouraging to many aspiring writers, but those are the realities of the publishing industry.

I've been asked by discouraged aspiring writers if I know of any way around this roadblock. No, I don't. Even if I did, I'd probably keep it to myself. Your books will be better if you follow this path; and most Star Wars readers, and SF&F readers in general, would prefer to read good, rather than mediocre, novels.

So do it the hard way.

As you can see; Authors cannot just write a book and publish it without permission and/or having thier works checked. I'll see if I can find more. Any assistance would be apreciated.

Edited by KitRoakr

Ok, I'm with you on R.A. Salvatore. That one WAS consulted with GL and he did Chewie justice, imo. The ol' Wook went out like a champ. Hey, Salvatore was handpicked by GL to kill off Chewie. Here's the thing, though. The HUGE difference between him and Traviss. He was dealt that hand and made the best of if. She basically grabbed the Mara Jade character and **** on everything all the other writers were doing. That incident with Mara grabbed her a warning. She was also warned several other times about breaking canon and not consulting with her peers. She has, she admits, a huge ego. Now, a huge ego isn't necessarily a bad thing. But when it gets in the way of common sense and hinders the job of other members on your team, then it becomes a bad thing.

Hell, Richard Marcinko has a huge ego, but he's also a really cool guy. He signed my hardback of Rogue Warrior: Green Team when I bought it some years back.

Ok, I'm with you on R.A. Salvatore. That one WAS consulted with GL and he did Chewie justice, imo. The ol' Wook went out like a champ. Hey, Salvatore was handpicked by GL to kill off Chewie. Here's the thing, though. The HUGE difference between him and Traviss. He was dealt that hand and made the best of if. She basically grabbed the Mara Jade character and **** on everything all the other writers were doing. That incident with Mara grabbed her a warning. She was also warned several other times about breaking canon and not consulting with her peers. She has, she admits, a huge ego. Now, a huge ego isn't necessarily a bad thing. But when it gets in the way of common sense and hinders the job of other members on your team, then it becomes a bad thing.

Hell, Richard Marcinko has a huge ego, but he's also a really cool guy. He signed my hardback of Rogue Warrior: Green Team when I bought it some years back.

Would you mind citing this, please? I am curious to know where this information came form. It seems to me that letting the public know that Lucasarts reprimanded Traviss is very unprofessional. Also, if she were repremanded, or more specifically, if Lucasarts did not suport the descision, then one: why did they publish it? and two: why didn't they make her retcon it in the next book? Which would have been easy to do since Mara's death was near the end of the book and verification was not made untill the next book.

Assuming that you are correct, then you read this somewhere credible and/or saw/listened to an interview or something of that nature. Would you mind bringing that in as a link or something, please?

Thanks.

Traviss can get butt-hurt all she wants, but if Lucas wants to change the canon its HIS ip, not hers.

I hate the "mando" stuff that has been tacked on, and in-game treat any Mandolorian that uses their language or any reference to that cr@p with contempt.

If there was an author that did more damage to the Star Wars IP than & Kevin J Anderson*, it was Karen Traviss.

Also, isn't she the one that wrote a stand alone book about zealous aliens that nuke New York because humans refuse to all become ultra-left vegan treehuggers? In response to humans uprooting a tree, the aliens nuke central park. I think someone is missing screws AND the holes they go in.

*who has sold Fremen for their water, wears a collar, and has no sons of his own. Never forgive, never forget. There are six Dune books, and Frank is their author.

Traviss can get butt-hurt all she wants, but if Lucas wants to change the canon its HIS ip, not hers.

I hate the "mando" stuff that has been tacked on, and in-game treat any Mandolorian that uses their language or any reference to that cr@p with contempt.

If there was an author that did more damage to the Star Wars IP than & Kevin J Anderson*, it was Karen Traviss.

Also, isn't she the one that wrote a stand alone book about zealous aliens that nuke New York because humans refuse to all become ultra-left vegan treehuggers? In response to humans uprooting a tree, the aliens nuke central park. I think someone is missing screws AND the holes they go in.

*who has sold Fremen for their water, wears a collar, and has no sons of his own. Never forgive, never forget. There are six Dune books, and Frank is their author.

Yes, yes she did write that series. Which is lulzy as hell and explains a lot about her hippy communist farmer Mandalorians.

Edited by Aximand

I havnt read any of her books, but from what I have heard, many readers dont like here simply because of how she treats her fan-base. As others have pointed out in previous posts.

I will respond to this based on personal experience outside of Star Wars. First, I'd like to say that you present your opinion reasonably and I thank you for that. Too many spout hate based on inaccurate information. At least you understand and state that you are coming from a less than ideal place. That is fine. Secondly, I think people forget that Karen Traviss is NOT an American. She is British. And just because both nations speak the same language, does not mean that we have the same culture. The British talk on a regular basis like Traviss has as a matter of daily life. To her and to most Brits, the comments she made were harmless. But we here in the US have grown over sensitive to things of that nature. We get all hurt-feelings about simple commentary that should not really affect us. We tout freedom of speech, but crucify someone for making an off-hand comment that wasn't even intended to be harmful. Americans have also grown into burying our emotions (which is unhealthy). So when someone shows there emotions openly, like Traviss did, we again crucify them and label them as crazies; which is ironic, because everyone is so angry at her for labeling someone(s).

I would recommend that you keep that in mind. I also recommend that you give her books a try. She really is a good author; one of my two favorites as a matter of fact; her and Timothy Zahn.

Don't you think it is a bit odd to accuse someone of being all, as you put it, "butt-hurt" when you are being so yourself?

"Contempt"... If this game or the Star Wars universe causes you that much of a problem, then why not leave it alone and move on? Traviss based parts of her work on BioWare's work in KoTR and other things. Just saying!

The first part of this is your opinion, and therefor cools. I disagree, but an opinion is never wrong. That is why they are opinions. But I don't get the relevance of the "*" part.

Personally, I completely agree with Traviss’s decision to leave Lucasarts. She was commissioned by George Lucas to do what she did. And then out of the blue, Lucas changed his mind and went another direction. Let’s face it, he is well known for doing that. After all! It is his franchise. As for Traviss, what choice did she have? As a writer, and many writers are the same way (including Lucas), once you’ve created something in a work, you can’t change it as if it never existed. You have to stick with it and carry it out to its logical conclusion. IF you can correct it, you do; but that is not always possible. For example; Lucas has openly admitted that sound in space was a major mistake, but since it is in the first movie, he does not have a way to fix that without breaking the integrity of the films; so he won’t. In Traviss’s case Lucas created the contradiction. And since Lucas owns the franchise Traviss could only roll with it, thereby compromising her own integrity as a writer, or leave the franchise protect her integrity AND the integrity of George Lucas. So… why was her leaving being “butt-hurt”?

On the issues of IP and continuity she agrees with you lol. Here's the link from her FAQ to demonstrate it (too damn long to copy and paste into a forum post):

http://www.karentraviss.com/page10/files/Why_have_you_stopped_writing_St.html

If you actually read all of it, you'll note that Traviss reports a dispute with the publisher over non-payment, i.e. finishing a job and not getting paid for it, also referred to as being ripped off. And this was on top of the issues she mentions about the changes to canon. And she acknowledges that the changes to canon are not something she has control over and that it is something she simply has to deal with. Her method was to walk away and not change all of the work she had already done and alienate her SW fans. Once again, self-respect, which is apparently an alien concept on these forums.

On the issues of IP and continuity she agrees with you lol. Here's the link from her FAQ to demonstrate it (too damn long to copy and paste into a forum post):

If you actually read all of it, you'll note that Traviss reports a dispute with the publisher over non-payment, i.e. finishing a job and not getting paid for it, also referred to as being ripped off. And this was on top of the issues she mentions about the changes to canon. And she acknowledges that the changes to canon are not something she has control over and that it is something she simply has to deal with. Her method was to walk away and not change all of the work she had already done and alienate her SW fans. Once again, self-respect, which is apparently an alien concept on these forums.

Great citation! Thank you!

There can be a lot of factors in contracts that constitute non-payment, especially with publishing companies. One of the things that can attribute to a non-payment is not meeting a deadline, Traviss has been reported by the other LotF authors to purposefully wait until the last possible minute before turning in a part of the project so it wouldn't have time to be properly proof read and vetted (Professor Walsh posted this in the other thread, I haven't seen the evidence myself). If true, its perfectly possible that she breached her contract somewhere along the line and thus her payment was voided.

While i agree i really dont see anyway to reverse whats been done. To balance the Jedi gods your going to have to make new gods at this point.

Not really. The Jedi and their powers are at the core of Star Wars. You can't take them away or "knock them off their pedestal" and have the universe still make sense. The Jedi are a very small (current Continuity there are less than 5,000 of them) group of Superhumans. Part of what lets them be able to be what they are is the fact that they are a small group. Mandalorians aren't a small group.

There is no reason to "reverse what's been done" the status quo (not Standard quo, if you are going to quote me) is fine the way it is. Upsetting it because someone has a thing for Mandalorians isn't needed. There is already a balance for Jedi anyway... Other Force users.

Spolier

Out of the main cast of Star Wars OT or EP4-6 . 1 Jedi ,2 Robots, 2Humans , 1 Wookie

Ofcourse it ranged from EP4 2Jedi , 2 Droids 2 Humans , 1 Wookie

to EP5-6 1 Jedi , 2 Droids , 3 Humans , 1 Wookie

Seems StarWars was about alot more than just Jedi but I guess if you only cared about Jedi than yeah............

Edit, so yeah Jedi are usually in the main spot light but a good writer will do things outside of the very known and over done story of Jedi and Sith................Thankgod for those who think outside the Box and like to do new things

Not quite.

Of the main characters in the Star Wars OT there were:

Episode 4 - 2 Jedi, 1 Sith, 1 Wookie, 2 Humans (one of which was revealed later to be Force Sensitive)

(3 Force Users total, more than any other group.)

Episode 5 - 2 Jedi (Luke and Yoda), 2 Sith, 1 Wookie, 3 Humans (one of which was revealed later to be Force Sensitive)

(3 Force Users total.)

Episode 6 - 2 Jedi (Luke and Yoda again), 2 Sith, 1 Wookie, 2 Non-Sensitive Humans, 1 Force Sensitive Human.

(4, arguably 5, Force Users, more than any other group.)

Edited by ProfessorWalsh

That synopsis isn't correct.

What happened was Karen Traviss pushed to kill Mara Jade and the rest of the team on LotF disagreed with her. She insisted on it. It was her idea. She never informed Timothy Zahn about this when he was working on a new Mara Jade novel however. It was clear that the rest of the LotF team did not agree with killing Mara Jade and not only did Karen come up with the idea, she insisted on it.

The other authors also didn't want Mandalorians involved in LotF but Karen insisted on it.

Sorry but no.

Traviss altered her posting after the fan backlash hit. You are quoting her, when we know she's actually lying. She loved to post one then then go back and edit it. Look up some of the arguments she was in on fan forums that were saved, the horrible things she said to fans, and the truth about why she did what she did.

For example, she killed Mara Jade because she couldn't stand the thought of one of the strongest female characters in canon being a Jedi.

Not really. The Jedi and their powers are at the core of Star Wars. You can't take them away or "knock them off their pedestal" and have the universe still make sense. The Jedi are a very small (current Continuity there are less than 5,000 of them) group of Superhumans. Part of what lets them be able to be what they are is the fact that they are a small group. Mandalorians aren't a small group.

There is no reason to "reverse what's been done" the status quo (not Standard quo, if you are going to quote me) is fine the way it is. Upsetting it because someone has a thing for Mandalorians isn't needed. There is already a balance for Jedi anyway... Other Force users.

OK, Mr. Walsh. I have a question for you. Karen Traviss was recruited by Lucas arts specifically for the purpose of developing the Mandalorian culture. Mandalorians killing Jedi was around long before Traviss was commissioned to write for the SW EU. The Mandalorian language did not even originate with Traviss. So... my question is: Why is this all Karen Traviss's fault?

You depict yourself as a “professor”. I argue that I professor would know that to make a reasonable argument, you must do two things. One: base your claims on research of credible sources (posters on a forum without credentials do not count) and recognize validity in the opposite side of the argument. Come on… If you want to pretend to be a professor, at least you can try to comment like one.