Incentivise players to team with others

joneb

I find often that this game is levelled solo by many and hardcore players will find it easy where as casual players will maybe struggle at some point along the way and could use some help. However after many one time only quests are completed there is no incentive to help others at the moment.

I would like to see a system that rewards significant social points to players that help others complete a quest or mission that they have already done and for which they otherwise dont get experience or rewards. I dont know how you would do this.

However for this to be worthwhile social points vendors should have a larger stock of social items that give huge benefits in both pve and pvp that can not be had elsewhere without great financial cost and therefore are heavily sought after.

(Would it be possible to have a system that allows a player to share such a quest in a way that the helpful player has to complete the same quest objectives with that person to insure there isnt an exploit for bypassing actually helping the person?)

Edited by joneb

Perhaps a "tutor"/"big brother" system?

Where you can register as "tutor" and through helping others you can earn social points equal to questing with that player? Maybe even earn Tutor Commendations wich can be used instead of credits to purchase from Social and Security Key vendors...

Perhaps a "tutor"/"big brother" system?

Where you can register as "tutor" and through helping others you can earn social points equal to questing with that player? Maybe even earn Tutor Commendations wich can be used instead of credits to purchase from Social and Security Key vendors...

This is a good idea but I like the sound of "Mentor" or even "Sensei" better or some title more in line with the Star Wars lore. I wouldn't want to feel like I'm back at school or college. Maybe even this can become a title if you collect enough "Mentor" Commendations

Edited by joneb

There are already several things in game designed to encourage grouping. When in a group you earn increased experience and the odds of rarer drops from mobs is increased. Additionally, when a member of the group completes a bonus mission the other members of the group earn an amount of mission completion experience as well.

I disagree with social items having an actual impact on game play. You want to encourage group play, not force it on everyone. Social items need to remain RP and appearance-based.

The game does need some form of mentoring system, though. The heavily-linear progression of missions in SWTOR allows for in-depth storytelling, but has a huge negative impact on one's ability to play with others.

There are already several things in game designed to encourage grouping. When in a group you earn increased experience and the odds of rarer drops from mobs is increased. Additionally, when a member of the group completes a bonus mission the other members of the group earn an amount of mission completion experience as well.

I disagree with social items having an actual impact on game play. You want to encourage group play, not force it on everyone. Social items need to remain RP and appearance-based.

The game does need some form of mentoring system, though. The heavily-linear progression of missions in SWTOR allows for in-depth storytelling, but has a huge negative impact on one's ability to play with others.

This is one of the worst games I have played in regards to being sociable and that wil be the reason that I most probably jump ship to Guild Wars 2 and not see this game worthy of subscription. It seems that most of the people I run across in SWTOR are averse to playing with strangers or too lazy to click join party.

The way GW2 encourages teamwork is in the dynamic events system where quests just happen and you can join in with others sharing the experience without having to party with them, chat with them, or even acknowledge they are there. I wager the side effect of that is peeps will end up being sociable just by being thrown together so to speak.

Edited by joneb

The way GW2 encourages teamwork is in the dynamic events system where quests just happen and you can join in with others sharing the experience without having to party with them, chat with them, or even acknowledge they are there. I wager the side effect of that is peeps will end up being sociable just by being thrown together so to speak.
It's hardly a new concept, and unfortunately that's not how things have panned out in other games that have used it. The idea has met with lackluster success, at best, and with GW2 not really coming up with any new additions or changes to it there's a good chance the mechanic will fall flat in that game as well.

I find it funny that you make a recommendation, and when someone voices a dissenting opinion, even though parts of it do agree with what you said, you immediately throw out that you're just waiting for the NBT. With all do respect, if you want this game to succeed then demonstrate it in your words. If not, get lost; there's enough trolls on these boards already.

Most of us who are adverse to playing with strangers got that way by playing with strangers...
Indeed. Additionally, when most invites are blind, without so much as a hello, I'm not very likely to accept them. I can count the times someone's actually spoken to me about joining a mission group without taking off my shoes and with both hands tied behind my back. And that's counting open invitations in the General chat as well.

Once the LFM tool goes up, you should see a huge jump in grouping.

My first real MMO experience was Dungeons & Dragons Online, and they have an LFM tool. It's brilliant. Looking to run a quest that you can't solo or just want more chances to roll on that rare drop you want? Open the social panel, hit the LFM tab, and either request to join a group or create one. No need to stick to the area where the quest is spamming general chat with LFG/LFM comments. Send in a join request or put up your own LFM and continue running around in an instance/in a different area while you wait.

I find often that this game is levelled solo by many and hardcore players will find it easy

i guess i must be doing something wrong on my sith juggernaught then,cuz i mean.i find regular quests easy.but alot of the class quests i seem to have trouble with solo

This is one of the worst games I have played in regards to being sociable and that wil be the reason that I most probably jump ship to Guild Wars 2 and not see this game worthy of subscription. It seems that most of the people I run across in SWTOR are averse to playing with strangers or too lazy to click join party.

i liked guild wars 2 better before i heard about that retarded dodge system thing there putting in the game.really kinda ruined it for me cuz i was kinda lookin at tryin out guild wars 2 cuz the pvp is probably a million times better then star wars the old republic

I don't know if a LFG function will really have an impact in this game, other than for finding FP/Operation groups. You progress through the game at such a rapid pace already that the chances of finding someone willing to group up that's working on the same content as you are slim to begin with. When the pool of potential teammates starts out small no amount of group-building tools are going to help.

The pool of players has to be widened before any other measure even stands a chance at being effective. A mentoring system would accomplish this.

I find it funny that you make a recommendation, and when someone voices a dissenting opinion, even though parts of it do agree with what you said, you immediately throw out that you're just waiting for the NBT. With all do respect, if you want this game to succeed then demonstrate it in your words. If not, get lost; there's enough trolls on these boards already.

Nice griefing there. The word troll is banded about too loosely especially by people that dont like criticism. I pay for this game and I have a right to criticise. I like facets of this game and as Guild Wars 2 is buy to play one time only so if SWTOR became a more sociable game I would very possibly stay on here and play both. The choice to not stay on is simply if SWTOR doesnt change its social game to my liking and I have another game to play. To be honest if it wasnt GW2 I would still stop my sub for a single player game that doesnt cost a subscription like Skyrim or Witcher 2.

The reason I name these games is not to promote them but to make it clear the options that I have and that there are options to SWTOR. With every MMO I have played other players seem to think that MMO is the be all and end all. Not true.

Oh what other games have or had consistant events happenning around the gameworld that evolved into other events and became a series of such actually shaping the environment semi permanently all depending on players becoming involved or not (Save village or let bandits burn village then get revenge or let bandits build up their own little nest). And what games have allowed this with rewards for everyone and not just for the players in the party on that quest already in their quest log?

Edited by joneb

Nice griefing there. The word troll is banded about too loosely especially by people that dont like criticism ...
Perhaps, but it was an appropriate use of the term in this instance. You stated what you felt was needed, then followed that with a statement indicating that if you don't get your way it won't matter; you intend to pack up your toys and leave anyway. This may not have been your intention, but it was definitely the message your words communicated. Everyone is aware that there are competing titles on the horizon. There's no need to drop their names in an attempt to add emphasis to your opinion.

Oh what other games have or had consistant events happenning around the gameworld that evolved into other events and became a series of such actually shaping the environment semi permanently all depending on players becoming involved or not (Save village or let bandits burn village then get revenge or let bandits build up their own little nest). And what games have allowed this with rewards for everyone and not just for the players in the party on that quest already in their quest log?
Warhammer Online: Age of Reckoning. They're the ones who first implemented the concept, and they made it a core element of their game; the mechanic was present from the starting zones, to the RvR and PvP combat, to the endgame itself. Variations of it were then adopted by numerous other titles, including WoW. None of the incarnations of the system were particularly successful, for a multitude of reasons. Edited by HeavensAgent

Warhammer Online: Age of Reckoning. They're the ones who first implemented the concept, and they made it a core element of their game; the mechanic was present from the starting zones, to the RvR and PvP combat, to the endgame itself. Variations of it were then adopted by numerous other titles, including WoW. None of the incarnations of the system were particularly successful, for a multitude of reasons.

I played Warhammer AOE briefly and didnt like it for none of the gameplay style enjoyable. If the events that you are talking about were village attacks every so often then that was stale, repetitive and really not very dynamic at all. What I saw was the start point I was in being invaded constantly and no evolution of this in any way . The impression I get is its very different in GW2.

Edited by joneb

I laughed.

Not sure why you laughed but Im with this quote...

Where did the days go that, people helped one another just out of the kindness of the hearts and helping fellow players?...I miss those days.

People shouldnt really need such an incentive anyway as they are supposed to be social animals. Unfortunately as the internet and these games prove there needs to be an incentive. Im confident the most popular meeting place ever invented is the Pub (Inn, Bar, Nightclub) or in the UK it was until smoking was banned and the price of public house alcohol became much more expensive.

Edited by joneb