DO NOT buy the Razer Star Wars mouse yet

DarthGooHead

I'm writing this thread to hopefully head off anyone who's been looking at this mouse - it's been officially ready to order as of yesterday, and I had pre-ordered it as I needed the wireless.

Only one problem I've found with the mouse so far - IT HAS NO DRIVERS AVAILABLE.

They're hyping it as the first line to use their new Synapse 2.0 driver, but you CAN'T GET IT unless you've previously been invited to the beta program.

Just got off the phone with their tech support, and he told me that the mouse wasn't supposed to have been released until next month... Sure enough, if you to http://store.razerzone.com now and look it up, it doesn't ship until 15JAN2012. Only people that pre-ordered it got it today apparently.

So now I have a mouse with no drivers, and I don't get the driver until I win the lottery and get invited to this mythical beta, even though I was sold a product that REQUIRED this specific driver.

I love my Naga and have absolutely no complaints about it other than being wired, and that's the only reason I decided to upgrade to the Star Wars as it's got better button placement and is wireless - however, this driver thing leaves a pretty bad taste in my mouth currently, and I seriously doubt I'd ever order directly from them again. If I can't find it in the store, it's not being bought.

Just want to warn others that might be looking at it - don't do it until you're sure you can get the mythical Synapse 2.0 driver.

I'm writing this thread to hopefully head off anyone who's been looking at this mouse - it's been officially ready to order as of yesterday, and I had pre-ordered it as I needed the wireless.

Only one problem I've found with the mouse so far - IT HAS NO DRIVERS AVAILABLE.

They're hyping it as the first line to use their new Synapse 2.0 driver, but you CAN'T GET IT unless you've previously been invited to the beta program.

Just got off the phone with their tech support, and he told me that the mouse wasn't supposed to have been released until next month... Sure enough, if you to http://store.razerzone.com now and look it up, it doesn't ship until 15JAN2012. Only people that pre-ordered it got it today apparently.

So now I have a mouse with no drivers, and I don't get the driver until I win the lottery and get invited to this mythical beta, even though I was sold a product that REQUIRED this specific driver.

I love my Naga and have absolutely no complaints about it other than being wired, and that's the only reason I decided to upgrade to the Star Wars as it's got better button placement and is wireless - however, this driver thing leaves a pretty bad taste in my mouth currently, and I seriously doubt I'd ever order directly from them again. If I can't find it in the store, it's not being bought.

Just want to warn others that might be looking at it - don't do it until you're sure you can get the mythical Synapse 2.0 driver.

Folks, this is the thing that happens when you buy a over priced copy of a mouse. Sorry OP.

Actually, the tech wouldn't even guarantee that - he just said the release date for the product is next month - yet they did a pre-order to coincide with the game launch knowing their software wasn't ready yet, obviously.

Yes, the numpad works at least, thank god - but I can't program any other buttons

Like I said in the OP, super happy with the Naga - and I find the SW mouse fits my hand even better. Now, haven't had a chance to play for an extended time yet, but the num pad buttons seem even easier to fit.

I totally agree with you that the Razer mice are overpriced, but until someone else comes out with one that has the numpad on the side, they're the only game in town. I couldn't go back to playing MMO's without that, freaking awesome design and revolutionary.

Ninja Edit: As far as build quality, some shiny spots which will collect fingerprints, but overall is matt finish. Buttons seem easier to hit, and the non-numpad buttons are in a better place for my taste, which is a big reason I went for the SW version instead of the Naga Epic for $10 less.

Edited by DarthGooHead

Like I said in the OP, super happy with the Naga - and I find the SW mouse fits my hand even better. Now, haven't had a chance to play for an extended time yet, but the num pad buttons seem even easier to fit.

I totally agree with you that the Razer mice are overpriced, but until someone else comes out with one that has the numpad on the side, they're the only game in town. I couldn't go back to playing MMO's without that, freaking awesome design and revolutionary.

Funny, got my Naga for 69.99 at bestbuy, and it works the same as the Star Wars one. I just can't see why people would pay almost double because it's go some star wars stickers on it.

Funny, got my Naga for 69.99 at bestbuy, and it works the same as the Star Wars one. I just can't see why people would pay almost double because it's go some star wars stickers on it.

Oh trust me, it pained me to do it, but I needed wireless - I play on a laptop sitting in a chair in our living room, and was really tired of tripping over the cables.

One less cable, especially when it's as long as the Naga's is, is a VERY good thing with my configuration.

And I know, I could sit somewhere else - however, being able to be in the same room as the Missus lowers Wife Aggro considerably and means I can play more often :D

The Star Wars one is wireless like the Naga Epic (MSRP $129).

Isn't the SW:Naga/Naga Epic bigger than the standard Naga?

That's what I thought and the biggest complaint I have heard about the standard nage is it's too small for people with big hands.

My next purchase witll be the Epic Naga/SW Naga, I would love to have all those buttons!!!

And thank you OP!

(BTW Can't you just use the Epic Naga drivers for it?)

Edited by MrLeee

That's what I thought and the biggest complaint I have heard about the standard nage is it's too small for people with big hands.

My next purchase witll be the Epic Naga/SW Naga, I would love to have all those buttons!!!

It definitely feels bigger to me than the regular Naga, I can't compare it to the Naga Epic as I bought the SW version instead of the Epic.

It looks really angular, but doesn't feel like it.

What's pissing me off about this isn't the mouse, mouse seems solid - it's the fact they'd sell something that doesn't have the proper drivers readily available. Even worse, why not just put me directly into the 'beta' of the new driver so it can actually be tested on the product it was designed for!?!

Oh trust me, it pained me to do it, but I needed wireless - I play on a laptop sitting in a chair in our living room, and was really tired of tripping over the cables.

One less cable, especially when it's as long as the Naga's is, is a VERY good thing with my configuration.

And I know, I could sit somewhere else - however, being able to be in the same room as the Missus lowers Wife Aggro considerably and means I can play more often :D

Lol. Lowering wife aggro by playing in the same room, is definately a true story.

I have to play in bed most nights or I'm in the doghouse... haha

And thank you OP!

(BTW Can't you just use the Epic Naga drivers for it?)

It is, yes. I (a girl, with girly hands) bought a regular Naga and love it so much. My boyfriend (with much less girly hands) found it so small as to be uncomfortable to use. I bought him the Naga Epic, with the changeable grips, and he loves it.

It is, yes. I (a girl, with girly hands) bought a regular Naga and love it so much. My boyfriend (with much less girly hands) found it so small as to be uncomfortable to use. I bought him the Naga Epic, with the changeable grips, and he loves it.

Ah that's good to hear! I got huge hands! Can't wait to get mine someday! :)

Yup, I haven't been paying attention to the email address that I signed up with Razer, but the drivers have been available since 20DEC so all is good now.

Bad planning/execution on Razer's part, releasing a product 5 days before giving the necessary drivers, but all is good now.

Important Information

We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue.