Character Animation Improvement

Lethality

One area I'd really like to see improved in TOR is the attention to detail of the character animations, including the variety animations being unique across various races and/or classes.

Recently, Blizzard released more info on MoP as well as started the beta. This has given lots of folks the opportunity to get in there and check some things out, including the new race of the Pandaren.

Now, Blizzard has always been exceptional at animation and character response in their games... secondary and tertiary animation sequences that are second to none and make the characters feel really alive.

Well, with the Pandaren, they seem to have taken it to a whole new level:

Not only are there racially/gender unique animations for emotes everyone has, but also the facial expressions... something Blizzard has not been able to do in WoW before.

I don't want to make this a comparison thread, so I'm not going to post TOR samples. But suffice it to say that I think this is an area where the TOR player characters could use some improvement in both detail and variety!

I realize (and it makes sense) to cut some of these things to make sure the game shipped on time, but although not directly related to gameplay, this is a very important feature that helps immersion, gives the characters (and game) life and soul, and more.

Edited by Lethality

Sorry, but no. Character Animations in WoW are not better than TOR's by a long shot. They are a very limited number of pre-determined moves which only have variation between races and genders.

There are many aspects in which WoW beats TOR, but character animations are not one of them, sorry.

Sorry, but no. Character Animations in WoW are not better than TOR's by a long shot. They are a very limited number of pre-determined moves which only have variation between races and genders.

There are many aspects in which WoW beats TOR, but character animations are not one of them, sorry.

Blizzard is constantly lauded by their peers for their character animations... it's one of their hallmarks.

TOR character animations are much stiffer and much less organic, plus they are all the same animations - for every single race and class. We all have the same weird sit animation for crying out loud. The same dance?

Blizzard has outdone themselves with the Pandaren - especially the facial expressions which TOR player models do not have in the real world (if they do, they are indistinguishable) (in cut scenes, they have some of course).

I want improvements, and Blizzard has delivered what I'd like to see in TOR.

Edited by Lethality

I would like to see a few new systems added for animations, like at character creation i'd like to make my character left handed meaning all his animations would be a mirror image of what a right handed character's ones would be, and of course i would also like the reverse grip for lightsabers made famous by starkiller.

Blizzard is constantly lauded by their peers for their character animations... it's one of their hallmarks.

TOR character animations are much stiffer and much less organic, plus they are all the same animations - for every single race and class. We all have the same weird sit animation for crying out loud. The same dance?

Blizzard has outdone themselves with the Pandaren - especially the facial expressions which TOR player models DO NOT HAVE AT ALL in the real world (in cut scenes, they have some of course).

I want improvements, and Blizzard has delivered what I'd like to see in TOR.

In truth, I'm not convinced. Taking a look at the different combat animations between the two (i know you said you didnt want comparisons, but you've already kicked that lemming off the cliff), there is a vast difference.

In Wow, you make a series of moves (say a rogue, backstab, mutilate, kidney blow) you can see the "reset" possition between each move. In this game (swtor), there isn't so much of that.

Also, the attack movements flow alot more in swtor, whilst wow has a much more "jabbing" motion to the animations.

Chime x

One area I'd really like to see improved in TOR is the attention to detail of the character animations, including the variety animations being unique across various races and/or classes.

Recently, Blizzard released more info on MoP as well as started the beta. This has given lots of folks the opportunity to get in there and check some things out, including the new race of the Pandaren.

Now, Blizzard has always been exceptional at animation and character response in their games... secondary and tertiary animation sequences that are second to none and make the characters feel really alive.

Well, with the Pandaren, they seem to have taken it to a whole new level:

Not only are there racially/gender unique animations for emotes everyone has, but also the facial expressions... something Blizzard has not been able to do in WoW before.

I don't want to make this a comparison thread, so I'm not going to post TOR samples. But suffice it to say that I think this is an area where the TOR player characters could use some improvement in both detail and variety!

I realize (and it makes sense) to cut some of these things to make sure the game shipped on time, but although not directly related to gameplay, this is a very important feature that helps immersion, gives the characters (and game) life and soul, and more.

Did you ever play a warrior tank? 90% of my abilities used the same exact attack animation. Shield bash and shield slam also shared animations. Oh and facial animations started with the Worgen and Goblins last expansion. Though it doesn't change the fact when it comes to attacks, what most of us see and care most about they were bland.

Edited by Nitrosnwbrdr

Blizzard has outdone themselves with the Pandaren - especially the facial expressions which TOR player models do not have in the real world (if they do, they are indistinguishable) (in cut scenes, they have some of course).

Actually.. not that you look at one's face, but SWTOR models change their facial expression during combat. The facial model looks determined/angry while in combat and also makes expressions when hit and such.

And actually, the way the eyes look in conversations (one of the most awesome aspects of the character look of SWTOR) is also translated to the in-action models. If you zoom in yourself while in the world you will still see the depth of the eyes.

In comparison, WoW's expressions are over-acted and everything but subtle because their graphical engine cannot handle subtle. People like it because people notice it. But it screams in your face saying "Look at how my hair bobs while running!! Who cares it's scripted, just look!! AWESOME RIGHT!?"

No, WoW animations are archaic compared to TORs

WoW's attack animations are cookie-cutter at best. My opinion of course. Everyone's entitled to their own. But I found it came down to... spinning, spinning, and more spinning. An earlier post mentioned how egregious it is if you happen to be a Warrior. I have to agree.

Now I mentioned they are cookie-cutter. It doesn't make them bad however. With a game engine old as WoW's, it's hard to take certain liberties. The animations are snappy and allow the game to highlight the damage dealt more than the animation itself. Sure Blizzard's priorities are a little miffed. They need to fix the old race animations. Might as well change them with a new class hitting the game.

I know plenty of people aren't a fan, but I really dig the special kill animations in TOR. Sometimes it makes me want to finish off my fights with a default attack just to see it.

Shouldn't this be in the SWTOR vs WoW thread?

That's all this topic is about, SWTOR animations vs WoW's.

No, this is about wanting improvements to TOR's character animation.

Has anyone even watched the female Pandaren video I linked? Once you see it, there is no comparison what we're missing here.

No, this is about wanting improvements to TOR's character animation.

Has anyone even watched the female Pandaren video I linked? Once you see it, there is no comparison what we're missing here.

Thanks for proving my point.

The first and only game you mention is WoW.

Thus, this thread is basically a SWTOR vs WoW thread.

And SWTOR wins btw.

This thread should be consolidated to the SWTOR vs WoW thread.

/thread

Thanks for proving my point.

The first and only game you mention is WoW.

Thus, this thread is basically a SWTOR vs WoW thread.

And SWTOR wins btw.

This thread should be consolidated to the SWTOR vs WoW thread.

/thread

You may have to constantly convince yourself, or your Mom, that TOR is worth spending your hard-earned $15 a month on, but you can't deny there is MUCH room for improvement.

And the area of character animation is a big, obvious one... and we've got a new current example of what the competition is doing to push it forward.

Edited by Lethality

You may have to convince yourself, or your Mom, that TOR is worth spending your hard-earned $15 a month on, but you can't deny there is MUCH room for improvement. And the area of character animation is a big, obvious one... and we've got a new current example of what the competition is doing to push it forward.

Where I spend my money is my business. And feel free to bash my family all you like, it doesn't bother me.

The sad thing is, you're here promoting WoW like they are paying your or something...telling me I'm wasting my money on SWTOR, yet to be posting you have to have a sub.

And I played WoW for years...why the hell would I want to go back to that antiquated game with pandas and pokemon.

And the animations in the vid your posted are ridiculous looking.

This thread still belongs in the SWTOR vs WoW thread.

I wouldn't doubt if WoW is the only MMO you know aside from SWTOR.

Go play pandas, it's ok.

Where I spend my money is my business. And feel free to bash my family all you like, it doesn't bother me.

The sad thing is, you're here promoting WoW like they are paying your or something...telling me I'm wasting my money on SWTOR, yet to be posting you have to have a sub.

And I played WoW for years...why the hell would I want to go back to that antiquated game with pandas and pokemon.

And the animations in the vid your posted are ridiculous looking.

This thread still belongs in the SWTOR vs WoW thread.

I wouldn't doubt if WoW is the only MMO you know aside from SWTOR.

Go play pandas, it's ok.

I can assure you I don't have a subscription to TOR, but can still post. It doesn't appear their systems are connected in real time.

You can chirp all you like, the proof is on the scoreboard - and long after the game is over, the score will be apparent.

I can assure you I don't have a subscription to TOR, but can still post. It doesn't appear their systems are connected in real time.

You can chirp all you like, the proof is on the scoreboard - and long after the game is over, the score will be apparent.

So now you affirm this is a SWTOR vs WoW thread?

Even when idle and not in combat or high res cinematic, our characters have facial expressions and consistent mouth movement when they talk. And blink. Spare me the pandas.

However, they COULD add more combat animations. For at least 40 levels the combat animations for a double bladed saber are the same old yawn. Combat needs more flair.

Second aside: although I do find them hilarious, I also feel a bit let down by the quality of pain grunts and death rattles our characters have. I really hope my opponents don't hear my characters when they're owned.

Even when idle and not in combat or high res cinematic, our characters have facial expressions and consistent mouth movement when they talk. And blink. Spare me the pandas.

However, they COULD add more combat animations. For at least 40 levels the combat animations for a double bladed saber are the same old yawn. Combat needs more flair.

Second aside: although I do find them hilarious, I also feel a bit let down by the quality of pain grunts and death rattles our characters have. I really hope my opponents don't hear my characters when they're owned.

Watch a wow combat video, you will learn just how lucky we are with just about every ability having a.different animation.

TOR's animation's are FAR above WOWs. Wow has like 4 animations for every ability you could do. In TOR, almost everything has it's own animation.

In combat, possibly.

But when your character isn't in combat - much of the time - they feel soulless and lifeless. Not organic. This needs help.

I went through every emote in star wars and not one of them had ANY facial changes in the character animation or model.

I won't compare Mists to star wars though. Mists is too new and yes, there WILL be an improvement. I will compare star wars to Blood elves, released at the start of 2007 and has had no work done on the actual model itself after release.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4uDF_JLVLV8

My video proves my point.

5 year old models have more character than star wars.

I think i am going to have to remake the video though. the Tor clip is kind of dark.

In combat, possibly.

But when your character isn't in combat - much of the time - they feel soulless and lifeless. Not organic. This needs help.

Uh, most of the time, I'm running around when not in combat and the run animation looks better in TOR as well. Some of the run animations in WOW are ridiculous. If you're referring to when you're standing still... honestly, who cares? Everything else is miles better.