Bullying

ExplosiveShot

technically there is a law that says that you cant let your kids play on your account.. In the ToS they say you cant share accounts.. that being said however.. BW would look like total douche' if they try and enforce something like that to a guy and his kid trying to enjoy the game..

That's not a "law". That's a term of service. You aren't going to be arrested and cited for breaking ToS.

however the age rulings for games are mostly taken as guidelines so parents know the average maturity level and age level people should be to play a game based on the conent within. really my son plays a bunch of other star wars games including lego star wars, and if this was a single player game like Kotor I would have no problem letting my son play this game. the reason why he doesnt is because of social interactions my son is not mature enough for..not for the action and adventure that waits inside.

Yes, like movie, music etc. ratings. I can totally understand someone's reticence with respect to allowing children to play MMOs. Themes, fellow gamers etc. can be a bit mature for some children. I fully support parents who do allow their kids to play BUT are right there with them when they do. I also support parents who decide that it's a good idea to wait for their kids to mature a bit.

• Replies 65
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Yes, like movie, music etc. ratings. I can totally understand someone's reticence with respect to allowing children to play MMOs. Themes, fellow gamers etc. can be a bit mature for some children. I fully support parents who do allow their kids to play BUT are right there with them when they do. I also support parents who decide that it's a good idea to wait for their kids to mature a bit.

oh i agree completely which is why my sons computer is right beside mine all the time. lol. though i still dont let him play swtor:P

I wouldn't either. Not sure what age I would consider appropriate...it would depend upon the kid, I guess. :)

if it wasnt online i would trust my 5 year old to play it right now.. its the other people who i can not monitor or censor that I do not trust, being a responsible parent I can control the one aspect of that issue, my kid. and keep him from being exposed to the game at such a young age if there is bullying or swearign or anything like that. I shouldnt need to report people for abuses to my kid when I can remove him from the issue.

I am what you would consider young, I'm in high school, but how I deal with anyone who ****s with me is deal the **** right back at them. At that point they normally walk away with their tail between their legs looking for someone else to bother.

if it wasnt online i would trust my 5 year old to play it right now.. its the other people who i can not monitor or censor that I do not trust, being a responsible parent I can control the one aspect of that issue, my kid. and keep him from being exposed to the game at such a young age if there is bullying or swearign or anything like that. I shouldnt need to report people for abuses to my kid when I can remove him from the issue.

Makes total sense to me. :)

I am what you would consider young, I'm in high school, but how I deal with anyone who ****s with me is deal the **** right back at them. At that point they normally walk away with their tail between their legs looking for someone else to bother.

Sometimes...ignoring them irritates them even more. :) Usually they are after attention and, denied, they get quite irked. Eventually, they do wander off or meltdown. Engaging them simply prolongs the idiocy.

Sometimes...ignoring them irritates them even more. :) Usually they are after attention and, denied, they get quite irked. Eventually, they do wander off or meltdown. Engaging them simply prolongs the idiocy.

True, but then I don't get to have the fun of fighting with them. Also, I've met some of my best friends through bullying and fighting.

I give you a full thumbs up to this for being a responsable parent. Even with profanity filters in place, there is still many things such as "mispelt" swearing or threats (which do not come under profanity filters).

It is unfortunate because the actual content of the game could be considered ok for younger players. Some could argue that it deals with incidences such as murder etc, but so do the original films (apart from RotS, they are rated PG or U:in the UK at least).

But as your rightly point out, there is alot of agression over the internet, and this is not unique to online gaming. Just reading a few youtube comments on a few vids can be shocking.

In short, you're completely right that the manner in which some players communicate is very inappropriate. This does need to be addressed and dealt with. We all come here to have fun, we dont come here to be threatened, sexually propositioned or harrassed.

Chime x

I find this concept of "bullying" in a game where you are remote from every other person playing the game confusing.

My main server seems to be a very mature RP-PVP crowd and everyone is very helpful. The chat is normal and productive. When I play on my alt server, I see the argumentative, back and forth conversations about the game, other games, music, politics, etc. I see people being taken to task by others.

Why are you arguing and putting up with what you find offensive? You have the *ultimate* "please be quiet" command. /ignore. Done.

If you get in an argument over the internet with someone, you deserve what you get. Talk about a pointless exercise. Would you stand around shouting with some random person on the street about what is a better MMO? So why do you do it in-game?

In-Game, it's the best of all worlds. You /ignore someone, it's like you vaporized them. You can still talk to the reasonable people you were conversing with, but the obnoxious person is just plain gone.

If you allow bullying in chat to occur in game, *you* are allowing it to happen.

If you ask me,

Ratings are just a 'guideline': for example,

A immature 9yr old might think the whole thing is real, where as a smart 5 year old will know it's just 'pretend'.

I'm only in my teens, but that doesn't make me immature; us children can be just as mature as adults if they choose to. However, there is a difference between mentaly mature and Intelegently Mature, if there is such a thing. My example above is mental, however this could still be thought by quite a smart child.

So, adults, I have nothing against children playing this game as long as they are mentaly safe.

This is easily done by:

• Making sure the chat window is down,
  • Watching them while playing
  • and helping them stay calm in tense Pvp situations

In all, a game can be a good mental lesson for children in terms of beheivior and patience, or it can detirorate their brain to a crisp.

So parents, Choose wisely before letting your child play a game, no matter what it is. And make sure they play in moderation.

(well, that was better than any history essay i've written)

Sorry for long post:o

I so wish that some day a mom developer will do an adults only server

Mmo damn you autocrrect!

The only thing is:

How would you prove the age of the person online?

I would wager a good chunk of people would falsify their age so they can get onto the adult server(s).

well second life has kinda a interesting system on the age thing, but again nothing is perfect on age verfication...they have it that their database is set up with social security and the states dmv's and that is to go into adult/mature sims.

• 4 weeks later...

Question~ If you put someone on ignore can they still add you to Friends and see when you log on or off?

Also just a comment to people who say victims allow it to happen to themselves, you have no idea the extent some of the online bullies can go in their harrassment and how it can cross over into criminal behavior..and you are very lucky because of that.

one addignore is a important tool, same as report but you have too many people who will say reported...which annoys me worse than the trolls so what you reported them don't annouce it let bioware do their job.

Thats so true. I left the game. Because of the bullying. Another issue, is that you weren't allow to go to a(n) credit vender for 200k or 400k which is 2 million creds or 4 million creds. It all comes down to If the of the monthly subscription doesn't get you. The prices in the game will.

I've yet to see any bullying in this game.

Everyone I've come across is pretty nice, actually.

Of course, I'm not counting the idiot trolls that are spewing crap in general.

Not at anyone in particular, but generally just complaining/trolling and trying to get a rise from people.

Your posts are beginning to make me wonder who does the actual bullying in your case... ;)

As of midnight on January 1, 2009 the "Anti-Cyberbullying laws" went to effect.

Dude or lady: Cyberbullying is wrong . According to the death toll in my country on adult and teens. Its a federal crime. You don't know how far you might take it. Remember, 13 year old girl and what those men did to her. The end result of it was her death.

Besides if you have too bully someone to make friends. That mean's your inscure or scared about yourself. Kids are on there.

Edited by MikeRindos
Corrections

I agree that bullying is rampant. This is common among many MMO's and I'm not sure what could be done to systemically make things better.

All we can do is /ignore people who bullies. On top of that, being a helpful and friendly member of your server community and being constructive with criticisms can help create a more friendly community. Of course there will always be those bullies, but we can at least try to kill them with kindness :)

Edit: I am not talking of PvP bullying (not sure if that's what OP meant) - I just meant extremely rude insulting/verbal assaulting of others in chat.

take a look at some ideas...

http://penny-arcade.com/patv/episode/harassment