Just me or do Powertech Tanks just not exist?

Toogeloo

I've leveled 3 50s now, ran Ops in two different guilds, and I pug Normal Ops almost every week. Only tanks I have ever seen is Jugs and Assassins.

I have no clue how the Vanguard populous is either, but I imagine they have to be just as sparse as Powertechs. Prior to launch, PTs were supposed to be the kings of tanking, yet 3 months later, I still haven't seen any at all...

Do you need a Lightsaber to get invited to Tank, is that how it is lol?

I have a 50 Vengeance Jug (was Immortal for a long while, and did tank), a 50 Darkness Assassin (my main tank now), and a 50 Medic Operative (my main raider now). So I am guilty of the Lightsaber Tanker myself, but still doesn't explain the lack of PT tanks.

Don't know what server you are playing on but iv seen plenty, as a BH healer, I always notice when I get a PT tank because I know they are going to win my columi tokens!!! The main tank in my guild is also a PT tank... Come to our server! lol

I've leveled 3 50s now, ran Ops in two different guilds, and I pug Normal Ops almost every week. Only tanks I have ever seen is Jugs and Assassins.

I have no clue how the Vanguard populous is either, but I imagine they have to be just as sparse as Powertechs. Prior to launch, PTs were supposed to be the kings of tanking, yet 3 months later, I still haven't seen any at all...

Do you need a Lightsaber to get invited to Tank, is that how it is lol?

I have a 50 Vengeance Jug (was Immortal for a long while, and did tank), a 50 Darkness Assassin (my main tank now), and a 50 Medic Operative (my main raider now). So I am guilty of the Lightsaber Tanker myself, but still doesn't explain the lack of PT tanks.

Limited sample size.

We do indeed exist - we just rock so much you never see us :p

Jokes aside, I think we probably are the least popular tank class, despite being apparently considered equally best with Assassins. Personally from both playing and looking at data etc, they're all pretty balanced. But I wont get into all that :p

I guess some servers have more than others - I expected them to be super popular. I guess everyone who rolled BH got to lvl 10 and thought..."Do I want 1 blaster...or two...." And thus the army of Mercs was born.

PTs are such awesome tanks that we get geared out REALLY quickly because we always get groups and rarely have problems finishing FPs ;D

Most of us have already moved on to alts

Yeah, I went back to the Mara I made first, at least until my guild moves onto HM's on a regular basis.

Vanguards and Powertechs are extremely fun when played as a tank... only when your team knows what they're doing. That can be said of any of the tanks, honestly.

I was leveling a Vanguard and while pvping I came to remember why I stopped tanking on my Guardian. When my team sucks, it's so boring. If I'm spec'd tank and I can do double the damage output of anyone else on my team while also maintaining a healthy amount of objective points and protection, something is very wrong.

If you spec DPS, then it can be fun, but you look around at all the lightsaber wielders, doing flips, being flashy and you start to miss that weapon.

I think the reason you don't see a lot of Powertech and Vanguards is because they're so melee-centric, and most people would rather just be a Jedi if they're going to be spending their whole time in melee range.

Up until I started getting in raids, I was a powertech tank. There's just not as much demand for tanks in raids so I switched. I've also noticed that most tanks I've seen for raids are jugs or sins. They just seem to do better against the bosses.

Personally, I only went tank because I liked Jet Charge and Shields. Being a tank, and mostly in PUG flashpoints can get stressful.

Edited by UCKFred

I rolled a Commando and my buddy rolled a Vanguard, we have been having soooo much fun lately both in PvE and PvP. We kill things very quickly even though I am speced as a healer and him a tank. So far this has been our best two man team. We have also done Guardian/Guardian, Sniper/Sniper, Sorc/Sorc, and Mara/Merc. So far these two have been the best and most fun. Plus Heroics are much easier to get together because it doesn't matter what the other two guys are. Edited by tjallred

i as in beta for a long time, i have leveled 10 sentinels/maras to 50. I love melee but got sick of lightsabers so i went vangaud. i play tactics now, the sec everyone claims is horrible. However it is really a solid spec, its just not faceroll easymode like assault/pyro. So many people seem to think now that if you cannot instantly win it means the spec is bad. Its sad how MMO players have gone from some of the best gamers out there to the worst.

I have no idea why people are not playin vanguards/powertechs. They are tons of fun, but they are not op easy mode like shadows/assassins and not as iconic as a jedi. I am still wondering where the mentality of the underplayed classes = weak classes. Sentinels/marauders are all over the place but the number of people who play them well are countable on one hand per server. On top of that if you are not rolling them FOTM that means you cannot possibly be any good.

Anyone else wish that MMos would go back to where you needed to be a good players to get anything done, rather then this bullcrap of anyone should be able to do everything regardless of how bad they are?

Interesting information. I know they're out there, but it's odd that they're the least played. I have 2 of them in their mid 30's, and the only thing i can say about them is their very smooth and easy to play.

I wonder if they just don't fit the standard "tank" archetype. even though most of their attacks are 10m or less, many of their attacks are "ranged" style attacks. But the consular/assassin fit that mold as well. the Jugg is the only one that's "pure" melee. But Even though Both the Sin and the PT use a solid measure of "not melee" melee attacks, the PT is the one that feels like a ranged class (perhaps its the fact that your using a pistol vs. a saber that it makes a difference.

Perhaps it's the jedi/sith thing. PT/Van happen to be the only tank that doesn't heft a lightsaber. My main Is a Jugg. Love the class. But im rolling both a PT and a Sin to tank with. They both feel about equal in skill use and execution, though from different perspectives.

either way, it's obvious it's not a performance thing, so it's got to be a playsyle/function thing. Or like some people said...it was so easy to level and get all their gear they sidelined them now to play alts. all I know is that comparing all 3, the PT is the easiest to level as a tank/DPS. having your healer (a good healer, and a romantic option for us guys) right of the bat made most the game EZ mode. I have to work my Jugg and Asy early on due to lack of heals. It makes the class interesting and challenging. the PT feels EZ mode early on as a result. Perhaps players got bored with the class as a result of this and tried others?

Ironically, the only PT tank we had in our guild is leveling a sorc, and he decided that it's going to be his main now. Just seems odd to me that a class that is so smooth to play and has really no negatives has such a low population.