Who thinks this game will last 10yrs?

Rastellon

• Replies 417
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I think WoW got away with it by fundamentally changing their game mid stride and for a duration satisfied a wider demographic of players simultaneously ontop of mega advertising.
When would you say they changed "their game mid stride?"

They've been losing players since TBC, and peaked either before its release or shortly after. Basically, if anything appealed to a wider demographic, it was vanilla Azeroth, and not all the bells and whistles they've slapped on since (though transmog sounds like a great feature).

totally agree and my hope is that http://www.thesecretworld.com/ will be that game...
Funcom definitely makes some interesting games. TSW sounds really cool, but after the AoC fiasco I'd have to give it some time to ensure that any major bugs are fixed. Edited by Ansultares

They've been losing players since TBC, and peaked either before its release or shortly after. Basically, if anything appealed to a wider demographic, it was vanilla Azeroth, and not all the bells and whistles they've slapped on since (though transmog sounds like a great feature).

SWTOR's Orange Modable Gear blows away WoW's Transmog tbh,

The concept of simply creating an item of gear with a specific look and then allowing you to upgrade it with better mods beats transmog by a country mile, Blizzard really should of added something like this a long long time ago,

Transmog is simply Blizzards way of making old content have meaning and purpose again, its simply yet another "time sink", with large numbers of players going back to old content to farm the tier gear for transmog,

This is Blizzards problem, they simply can't do anything with a single sole purpose,

They never sit down and say "ok, we got lots of people who are not happy with how their gear looks, lets sort that out"

They feel the need to mix everything with another goal, another aim, then the primary aim becomes a secondary aim, and its diluted, everything gets turned into a cheap shot at making people sink yet more time into the game,

When the primary aim was just to improve something,

It's a temptation that they simply cannot resist, and it's killing them,

:rolleyes::rolleyes::rolleyes:

Edited by Tsaritsin

Funcom definitely makes some interesting games. TSW sounds really cool, but after the AoC fiasco I'd have to give it some time to ensure that any major bugs are fixed.

The mid-stride change is known as Wrath of the Lich King. From TBC to WotLK was an enormous change in how the game played and what you had to focus on to complete the x-pac. I.E. No more attunments for just one example. A TON of casuals picked the game up for the first time after that x-pac was released. Unfortunately a the same time a lot of people who played the first two (vanilla and TBC) were turned off by the new playing format they came up with. But it did squeeze a lot more longevity out of the game for them as Most of the people who started playing in WotLK continued through most of Cata.

Funcom definitely makes some interesting games. TSW sounds really cool, but after the AoC fiasco I'd have to give it some time to ensure that any major bugs are fixed.

I'd say that around end of vanilla or begining of TBC is when they started executing their plan to change the game. That falls right in line with when you say they started hemoraging accounts. I still do believe they appealed to a wider variety of players post TBC. That doesen't mean they satisfied a larger number of players in the long run. Look, I said they got away with it. I never said it was the key to their success. Speaking of succes, WoW is how old and their subscription base has seen less than a 25% decline since it peaked? Though I will never play WoW again, I think I would still call that a success.

AoC really shook my confidence in funcom and it went beyond bugs into the game just wasn't crafted with anything near the same love and care that AO was in it's day. I will likely try TSW but my expectations for it aren't very high.

Its really funny that no matter what mmo or what forum alot of people still seem to have spoiled rich kid syndrome. You want the perfect mmo? go play real life :) its much more fun there :) But.... ya wanna play a star wars mmo play what ya get not what could have been or what should be in some eyes. Or better yet ... go design your own and I'll come play it and give ya my thoughts:)

get me 200.000.000 $, one of the worlds biggest sci-fi IPs and five years of time

:eek:

LOL the point being.... I don't buy a car and then call the manufacturer and complain of all the design flaws and what upgrades my car should get for free and how it would look better to me for free, so why do so many in mmo's complain and whine about something they bought and paid for?

LOL the point being.... I don't buy a car and then call the manufacturer and complain of all the design flaws and what upgrades my car should get for free and how it would look better to me for free, so why do so many in mmo's complain and whine about something they bought and paid for?

because mmos get away with releasing a car missing the back seat, a radio, and a trunk that is stuck closed. but they promise if you buy the car and make payments on a service plan they will add the radio and backseat and fix trunk when they get around to it, but you have to buy the broken car first.

because mmos get away with releasing a car missing the back seat, a radio, and a trunk that is stuck closed. but they promise if you buy the car and make payments on a service plan they will add the radio and backseat and fix trunk when they get around to it, but you have to buy the broken car first.

Pay me now and I'll entertain you later, I promise.

rofl lol nicely put :) touché good sir rofl

Edited by demmomannn

In my opinion. This game will be free to play at best in 5yrs if they do not do a massive overhall . With the legitimate effort being made by other mmo companies this year to make a game that will last 10yrs its shocking that this game has not come out with the 1.2 patch yet.

For them to say this game will last 10 years is interesting. I hope they live up to the hype.

We're four months into live and you're making predictions about five years from now?

I feel like I'm playing a CartoonNetwork.com game and I need to ask my parents for permission before getting online.

When I used the term "graphics," I used it pretty lightly as a way of generalizing aesthetics in general. But, you're right. I know it won't get patched, and, as stated in the OP, I am leaving the game.

In all seriousness, I think that it would be best for Bioware to take this game back to the drawing board. There's so much potential here, and Bioware missed all of it.

^^ This.

You Sir hit the nail.

Edited by Lord_Ravenhurst