Quarterly Producer Letter for Q2 2024 ×

Why do MMo's have dreadful combat?

oOParaOo

So far I am enjoying the story and game but combat is boring, predictable button bashing, i have more health than you affair. Why cant mmo's have combat like Kingdoms of Amalur? that game is exciting and you look forward to combat.

Currently I hate the combat, its stale, boring and what ever poeple say its a dated button basher than brings nothing new to the genre. disappointed.

• Replies 86
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

So far I am enjoying the story and game but combat is boring, predictable button bashing, i have more health than you affair. Why cant mmo's have combat like Kingdoms of Amalur? that game is exciting and you look forward to combat.

Currently I hate the combat, its stale, boring and what ever poeple say its a dated button basher than brings nothing new to the genre. disappointed.

Aren't all games essentially 'button bashers'?

I like this style of combat.

To each their own.

Comparing an MMO to a single player RPG. First mmo huh?

I realized I want a MMORPGFPS.

SW Battlefront II style combat open world.

YES. :D

Edited by Lord_Ravenhurst

What has either of your answers got to do with it, never played an mmo? whats that go to do with it? why can;t bioware innovate? instead of following the sheep. Who says an mmo has to have stand there, press 123 it boring and not engaging at all. If fact the combat is the worst thing in this game zzzzzz

Kingdoms of Amalur combat system changed the game, why cant mmo combat be 1% exciting. Its a matter of who has more health other than anything else.

What has either of your answers got to do with it, never played an mmo? whats that go to do with it? why can;t bioware innovate? instead of following the sheep. Who says an mmo has to have stand there, press 123 it boring and not engaging at all. If fact the combat is the worst thing in this game zzzzzz

Kingdoms of Amalur combat system changed the game, why cant mmo combat be 1% exciting. Its a matter of who has more health other than anything else.

Again, to each their own.

These games are about time sinks. They want you to spend a ton of time in this world so you keep a running subscription. Part of that time sink is the search for better gear. They only way to really make better gear count is to make combat based off of the classic "roll" system. Which is what we have.

Besides, these type games take way more strategy than any real time combat systems. Those normally are button mashers. In this game, if you "mash buttons" randomly as you suggest, you'd run out of resources and lose. You also have to be quick with your interrupts and stun breakers.

Button masher seema a bit vague, what exactly don't you like about it? I only played Kingdoms of Amalur for about an hour before it's story and world bored me to tears and i uninstalled it so i don't remember much about the combat, what does it do that TOR doesn't? Maybe with some more info we could point you to an MMO with gameplay more to your liking.

I don't know but the fact is that the MMOs that tried different combat where not super successful.

Champions Online & DCUO (active blocking, third person targeting, but not FPS accuracy style),

Age of Conan (active blocking, directional melee and some ranged attacks),

Fallen Earth (Third person shooter (TPS) + hotbar button mashing),

Tabula Rasa (sticky tab targetting/TPS hybrid)

Darkfall (F/TPS) may not count in argment since it was such an uberbuggy and incomplete game at launch.

Quite frankly I prefer SWTOR's combat system (a.k.a. typical MMORPG/CRPG combat) to the "innovative" combat system of KoA.

Also, similiar combat systems to KoA have been attempted in the past without much success (DCUO for example). They don't really work that well in an MMORPG environment and the freshness of such combat systems wears off incredibly fast.

Edited by Kendaric

Are there any mmo that have combat lke Kingdoms of Amalur? so its exciting? maybe this game is too dated for me, i want exciting combat.

no there isn't. Cuz mmo's don't work like that. It's not dated, its just the way mmos are. Probably should have test driven an mmo before wasting your money...

Quite frankly I prefer SWTOR's combat system (a.k.a. typical MMORPG/CRPG combat) to the "innovative" combat system of KoA.

Also, similiar combat systems to KoA have been attempted in the past without much success (DCUO for example). They don't really work that well in an MMORPG environment and the freshness of such combat systems wears off incredibly fast.

even dcuo has the same combat as every other mmo. Only difference is the camera is locked to the mouse cursor like an xbox controller

idk i kinda like only having 1 ability that gets used - force storm - for dps. Means I can play this game for when i'm pretty much asleep and call it sleep and free up awake times for other games.

http://www.tera-online.com

Only one MMO did different comabt well, The Matrix Online with the Interlock System. That game failed in the end. The combat in this game is pretty standard for any MMO, if you don't know this then you clearly don't play MMOs often.

idk i kinda like only having 1 ability that gets used - force storm - for dps. Means I can play this game for when i'm pretty much asleep and call it sleep and free up awake times for other games.

With my Vanguard, I have a 6 ability rotation and I actively work in at least 4-5 additional moves depending on the situation. If Sorc's seriously spam one button currently, Bioware needs to fix them. That would be boring.

Edited by Galbatorrix

MMOs generally tend to be less of a button basher than any other games. Most if not all classes will have a priority list on their abilities. I personally have between 14-16 buttons I will hit in any given boss fight. That's way less button bashing than X,X,X,X,A,A,A,A,X,X,B,B,B,etc. All mmo's have pretty much the same combat systems.

Any games that don't have the same systems are not a real MMOs (i.e. PSO/PSU or Vindictus).

even dcuo has the same combat as every other mmo. Only difference is the camera is locked to the mouse cursor like an xbox controller

Not really... DCUO's combat is more like an arcade beat 'em up game mixed with MMO combat. It certainly is more active than traditional combat systems, but it never really gripped me with those stupid "click mouse button x-times" or "hold mouse button" combos.

How do you have combat in a video game without pushing buttons? I don't understand the point the OP is trying to express.

Someone needs to port the xbox Kinect control interface to the PC!!

My old smoking *** would be laid out on the floor after a dungeon run ;)

Not really... DCUO's combat is more like an arcade beat 'em up game mixed with MMO combat. It certainly is more active than traditional combat systems, but it never really gripped me with those stupid "click mouse button x-times" or "hold mouse button" combos.

ahhh true that, i forgot about that stuff. Leveled a guy to 30 right away and really haven't played again. lol

Its your opinion. We MMO fans love MMO combat. This is why MMOs sell. Because they have a player base who like the genre of game. Look at it this way, You have come into an MMO forum wanting the combat different (in your opinion is boring) and trying to change it to something else.

If i want a 3rd person based SW shooter, I would go pick up SW battlefront. I wouldnt pick up a totaly different genre and expect the combat to be a 3rd person style combat system when the game is an MMO.

Inovation is not changing a game genre to a another genre. Inovation is knowing when a game is not to your taste and moving on!

Edited by DigitalPrime

Important Information

We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue.