If they had made a manual

Lord-Zaldurak

Artifce is such a hard craft, I dont know what some of the crystals are for and all those artifacts. I dont what to do with them. All Im doing is gathering it up and storing it on my ship. If they would have made a manual, then I would know how to craft all that stuff. I know Im going to get flamed, but really BW the least you could've done is take time to create a freaking manual!

Having a functional brain is your friend... the entire crafting system could hardly be simpler.

When every schematic tells you what it needs .... working your way up is easy.... unless you are a duffus and trying to do things the wrong way round, staring at a rock and expecting it to tell you all the things it might be used for *Shakes head*

Look that what you need, then go find it..... rather than finding something and fretting about what you can use it for!

Having a functional brain is your friend... the entire crafting system could hardly be simpler.

When every schematic tells you what it needs .... working your way up is easy.... unless you are a duffus and trying to do things the wrong way round, staring at a rock and expecting it to tell you all the things it might be used for *Shakes head*

Look that what you need, then go find it..... rather than finding something and fretting about what you can use it for!

So, are you trying to say that by looking at a schematic and list of required ingredients, you can identify exactly where those ingredients come from?

Maybe you are one of these players who has some 7 lvl 50s, and all professions maxed, but if you are new to the game, like I'm guessing the OP is, then you won't automatically know everything there is to know about the game, would you?

Yes, it is simple enough to find those answers, however, where would you think of looking? The game's official website? Or maybe ask the other players on the forums? You know, vaguely sensible places, where you might expect an answer instead of some idiot coming along and telling you you need a new brain because they've been playing longer than you.

I have piles of materials in my bank for Biochem, and no recipes that use them yet. So, does that make me a dufus too, because I don't know what they are used for yet?

Edited by dazednconfuzed

For most resource nodes, it should be fragrantly obvious what they yield.

"Unknown Microorganism colonies" yield... Unknown microorganisms

"Lucent Blue Crystal Formations" yield... Lucent Blue Color Crystals! (And artifact fragments of the same level)

Now, finding the resource node you want may be difficult. My reccomendation is to use the crew skills interface to find what level the recipes are that use that material, and go to a planetary area of that level.

For most resource nodes, it should be fragrantly obvious what they yield.

"Unknown Microorganism colonies" yield... Unknown microorganisms

"Lucent Blue Crystal Formations" yield... Lucent Blue Color Crystals! (And artifact fragments of the same level)

Now, finding the resource node you want may be difficult. My reccomendation is to use the crew skills interface to find what level the recipes are that use that material, and go to a planetary area of that level.

The OP is saying he has a load of random materials, but doesn't know what they are used for yet, not that he collected a bunch of ramdom materials, but has no idea what they are.

Hence why he was asking for some kind of manual to help him along with crafting.

Oh! I misunderstood. In that case, the reason you can't tell what sort of recipes your mats are used for is you're not high enough level artifice to use them.

There is some internal logic as to how individual types of mats are used (For instance, in synthweaving, Luxury fabrics are used for light armor, while underworld metals are used for heavy and medium armor), but that shouldn't be to hard to pick up on by the time you've hit ~100 in a craft skill.

Read your codex.

No seriously, read it.

That wouldn't happen to be the codex entries for each profession that recommends trade skills to go with your crafting skill would it?

Learn to read, then read the OP again, and you might just be able to figure out what he is asking.

Ya, you get a lot of crystals and gemstones and other types of crystals, I know what you mean, it can be a little confusing. What is the difference between a crystal and a gemstone? If you are not sure what it is used for then it is probably part of a recipe you have:

1) Not looked at

2) Not learned yet because you did not purchase it or have not learned the blue or purple schematic yet.

or

3) do not have the skill to learn yet.

I think saving them like you are is a god idea, although leveling is pretty fast. I think you will find you have saved a lot of mats that you no longer need to level the skill, but may be able to sell at least.

http://www.torhead.com has a good listing of recipes and materials that also shows what they are used in. Give that a looksie.

Some recipes you have to make the green item, a few times, then reverse engineer it to get the blue recipe. Then repeat that process for the blue items until you get the purple recipe, then you will see the need for some of those crystals or purple gemstones you are coming across.

Rule of thumb, save blue and purple mats you come across as you will almost definitely need them. Even if you out level them, you can then sell them (especially the purple ones) for a good price on the GTN.

Hope this helps.

There is a manual, it's just online:

http://www.swtor.com/gamemanual

Lots of information, but not the specific info you seek, I'm afraid.

Posting specific questions on the forums can help, though some will always chastise you for not figuring it out on your own, as you have seen.

You'll have the most luck in the New Player Help forum:

http://www.swtor.com/community/forumdisplay.php?f=8

Edited by Felioats

Really RavenMuse:Having a functional brain is your friend... the entire crafting system could hardly be simpler. Really?

You dont have to be so cruel. :D I'll you know that some ppl have some medical probs. But that water under the bridge.... Anyways I took all of yours advice, so now I'll wait til after I get my speeder to do some crafting.:)

So, are you trying to say that by looking at a schematic and list of required ingredients, you can identify exactly where those ingredients come from?

Maybe you are one of these players who has some 7 lvl 50s, and all professions maxed, but if you are new to the game, like I'm guessing the OP is, then you won't automatically know everything there is to know about the game, would you?

Yes, it is simple enough to find those answers, however, where would you think of looking? The game's official website? Or maybe ask the other players on the forums? You know, vaguely sensible places, where you might expect an answer instead of some idiot coming along and telling you you need a new brain because they've been playing longer than you.

I have piles of materials in my bank for Biochem, and no recipes that use them yet. So, does that make me a dufus too, because I don't know what they are used for yet?

Thank you Daze - Not everyone has picked up CS, some of us didnt know what an MMO was 3 months ago - its certainly tuff to completely understand it

cheers mate

Thank you Daze - Not everyone has picked up CS, some of us didnt know what an MMO was 3 months ago - its certainly tuff to completely understand it

cheers mate

You're welcome.

It really does get on my nerves to see someone ask a simple question that anyone who has played the game for a while would be able to answer, yet, all the replies they get are basically trolling them.

That kind of behaviour is just idiotic.

You're welcome.

It really does get on my nerves to see someone ask a simple question that anyone who has played the game for a while would be able to answer, yet, all the replies they get are basically trolling them.

That kind of behaviour is just idiotic.

Agree 100%! It looks that people this days think it's kinda "cool" to be a bully.

This days i suddenly noticed i started to miss a lot the "Single player version of several other games, due to he fact that i am not forced to deal with stupidity , greed and "evilness" from human players.

This week , in the rep fleet, and with 57 people online there, I asked something about the game, and i got ZERO as a response... i asked the same 5 times over a hour and nothing...not a single answer. It's realy very sad when i am forced to exit the game to came to the forum looking for a answer that nobody in game was in the "mood" to tell me!....In a MMO... Not normal!:eek::(

Artifce is such a hard craft, I dont know what some of the crystals are for and all those artifacts. I dont what to do with them. All Im doing is gathering it up and storing it on my ship. If they would have made a manual, then I would know how to craft all that stuff. I know Im going to get flamed, but really BW the least you could've done is take time to create a freaking manual!

Each schematic will tell you what materials it requires.

Those materials will come from one or two sources - for the lower quality schematics (I am generally referring to the green ones here, rather than the ones that only require a low artifice level), the resources come from resource nodes located in the gaming world that you or your companion can harvest, or from Archaeology missions that you can send your companions on. For the higher quality schematics (blues and purples), they require both those same resources plus often resources gained from the Treasure Hunting missions you can send your companions on (i.e. these are not available for you to collect in the game world).

Alternatively, all of the resources can be bought on the GTN, if another player has put them up for sale - there are, as far as I know, no in-game NPC vendors where you can buy them.

As you progress through the Artifice schematic list to the more complex schematics, the material requirements will change. The resource nodes for those materials are in higher level game areas, and the mission-obtained materials for those schematics are obtained from higher level Treasure Hunting missions.

If you have materials that are not used by any of your current schematics, these are either materials for higher level schematics, or they are materials for current level schematics that you have not picked up from the trainer, or they are materials for use by crafting skills other than Artifice.

Agree 100%! It looks that people this days think it's kinda "cool" to be a bully.

This days i suddenly noticed i started to miss a lot the "Single player version of several other games, due to he fact that i am not forced to deal with stupidity , greed and "evilness" from human players.

This week , in the rep fleet, and with 57 people online there, I asked something about the game, and i got ZERO as a response... i asked the same 5 times over a hour and nothing...not a single answer. It's realy very sad when i am forced to exit the game to came to the forum looking for a answer that nobody in game was in the "mood" to tell me!....In a MMO... Not normal!:eek::(

Yeah, the sense of community is MMOs has really gone downhill. This is one of the reasons I liked how SWG did player skills. If you wanted to increase a skill to the next rank, the best way of doing that was to find another player who could teach you. That, and a player-based economy made for a fantastic community.

Now, people are only interested if you belong to their little clique, and they already know you.

at the risk of being verbally abused for not giving you the answer......THERE IS A STICKY AT THE TOP OF THE FORUM YOU POSTED IN. IT EXPLAINS YOUR DILEMMA.

every crafting skill uses mats collected by two specific gathering skills. information on that easily googled.

recipes are available at the crew skill trainer. its on the map

when you open the book, it shows the mats used for each recipe. see the tooltips?

pick the recipe, click craft. you can use the mats from your bags or your bank

mats come from either of the specific gathering skills assigned to your crafting skill. you do not have to pick the right ones, it will let you pick the wrong ones.

not sure how you missed the stickies at the top of the forum page.

I understand where the OP is coming from. When I first started playing I had to google to find out what skills compliment each craft which is something they don't tell ya in-game when ya are first able to pick up crew skills. A quick run through on what skills have the best synergy with each craft from the npc trainers would've been nice.

I understand where the OP is coming from. When I first started playing I had to google to find out what skills compliment each craft which is something they don't tell ya in-game when ya are first able to pick up crew skills. A quick run through on what skills have the best synergy with each craft from the npc trainers would've been nice.

It is, and has been in the codex ingame from the beginning :D

But you halve to talk to the trainer to get it in there.... something beeing broadcasted on your screen when you talk to the first one to learn a craft.

Obvious thing then is, talk to the others to get it all in there :D